Xbox controller not 'usable' on my PC.

Discus and support Xbox controller not 'usable' on my PC. in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I specifically say 'usable' here. It does connect. It is recognized on a deep level. It's just not usable. Was in the middle of a game, connected... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Monkey Man 27140, Sep 18, 2023.

1. Xbox controller not 'usable' on my PC.

I specifically say 'usable' here. It does connect. It is recognized on a deep level. It's just not usable.

Was in the middle of a game, connected wirelessly via the Xbox wireless adapter, controller stopped sending inputs. The Xbox light was still solid, indicating it still had a connection. But was not functioning.
    Since then have troubleshot many things and only gotten more confused.

Troubleshooting has revealed:

-My drivers for the controller and USB ports are all up to date.

-The controller connects and functions properly via Bluetooth to the PC. (though for me I don't sit right next to the PC while gaming and that's about as far as the signal reaches so isn't a workaround)

-When pairing with the wireless adapter, the controller quickly goes to a solid light indicating a good connection. Only under 'device management deeper in settings do I see "Xbox peripheral". Under the more surface level "Bluetooth & devices" it is not listed. It's also not recognized by the Xbox Accessories app. It also does not function.

-Plugging the controller in via USB the light never goes solid. It shows under device management as 'Xbox peripherial'. Under "Bluetooth & devices" it shows up as 'Controller' (NOT 'Xbox Wireless Controller'). Not recognized by the Xbox Accessories app. Does not function.

-Two other Xbox controllers I have connected and functioned immediately via every method.

Which led me to think this controller had some sort of internal damage, physical or otherwise, but the real kicker:

The controller connects to an Xbox wirelessly and wired with no issue.

Is there a way to 'hard reset' a controller? I have removed the batteries and checked it's up to date via the Xbox.

:)

Monkey Man 27140, Sep 18, 2023
  2. SwordofWhedon Win User

You can find the same model of controller and swap the guts out and keep the customization
  3. Monkey Man 27140 Win User

Good thought, but this doesn't address the controller not appearing under 'Bluetooth & devices'.

One more detail, when I connect the controller wirelessly to the pc via the Xbox Wireless Adapter. Press the sync button, light blinks rapidly. On PC click 'add xbox controller via wireless adapter. The controller light immediately goes solid, but the PC never indicates it found a device, it just keeps searching indefinitely.
  4. Nkosana23 Win User

If other controllers are able to connect without any issues, then there are chances the issue might be with the controller. If that is the case, you can try get it repaired and see if they're able to pick up and fix the cause. You can also try trade it in with anyone else that wouldn't want to use it for PC. I am sorry this is all the help I can assist you with as none of the given solutions help your case.
  5. Nkosana23 Win User

You can also try get your device serviced instead.

If you've registered your device, sign in at Device services to see the device's warranty status. If it's within warranty, repairs are free. If your device is out of warranty, you'll be charged a repair fee.

If you have not registered you device, follow the steps here: https://support.xbox.com/help/hardware-network/warranty-service/register-your-product

After you have registered you device, follow these steps:
    1. Sign in to the Device services site with your Microsoft account credentials: https://account.microsoft.com/devices/select-device-for-repair

2. Select the device that you want repaired.

3. Follow the onscreen steps to complete your service order request.

After Device services receives your submission, they'll send you a service order number and an order confirmation email that includes shipping or drop-off instructions.

You can find more details on getting your Xbox device serviced on this link: https://support.xbox.com/help/hardware-network/warranty-service/getting-your-product-serviced
  6. Monkey Man 27140 Win User

Thank you for your time!
    Yeah, this seems like a particularly peculiar issue. Unfortunately, the controller is pink and white with my wife's name engraved on it so may have trouble trading haha
Thema:

1. Xbox controller not 'usable' on my PC. - Similar Threads - controller 'usable'

2. My controller isn't letting me move or select anything?

in XBoX on Consoles
    My controller isn't letting me move or select anything?: I had disconnected and reconnected to my xbox and it's still not letting me select anything while I also tried a different xbox and it still didn't work 821e57ac-9075-4de5-a1fc-e854d7b50038
  3. Xbox Design Lab Controller has Stick Drift out of the box.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Design Lab Controller has Stick Drift out of the box.: Ordered a controller with a customized shell through Design Lab to play games on PC a few weeks ago, and it arrived with the right stick having bad drift at all times. Warranty is still up and I...
  4. controller not working in games rog ally

in XBoX on Windows
    controller not working in games rog ally: i have the Asus ROG ALLY Z1 extreme and i’ve tried two different controllers Ps4 and Xbox s and they dont work when i get into games. half the time they work as a mouse and then dont respond at...
  5. Gyro controls and my confusion

in XBoX Accessibility
    Gyro controls and my confusion: using a third party add on, if this device does not aim for me but lets me aim using gyro, is it treated as the same as a Xim or Cronus? It is not giving me a competitive advantage as my wrists...
  6. Xbox Elite Wireless Series 2 Controller Warranty Repair

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Elite Wireless Series 2 Controller Warranty Repair: Hi, I'm trying to get an Xbox Elite Wireless Series 2 Controller Repaired thats In warranty. But when the site askes me to "Select shipping address to see available service options" It then...
  7. How do i find the setting that controls the wifi connection ?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do i find the setting that controls the wifi connection ?: My son’s xbox disconnects itself from the internet at 8:00 pm and we have no clue why. We have tried everything to fix it. Ive turned off all screen time settings. Turned them on. Changed times....
  8. Why won't my Xbox Wireless Controller turn on all of a sudden?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why won't my Xbox Wireless Controller turn on all of a sudden?: We got a new Xbox Series S back in February and the controller that came with it was working very well.. Until recently. For some reason, the controller now won't turn on instantly and no matter...
  9. Xbox Series X Wireless Controller Only Charging to 15% On PC

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X Wireless Controller Only Charging to 15% On PC: Hello, my Xbox Series X Wireless Controller recently started only charging up to 15% when I plug it into my PC. I do not own an actual console to troubleshoot on there. Additionally, the...
  10. The audio won't work on my Xbox and my controller won't stop pressing the fake A button

in XBoX on Windows
    The audio won't work on my Xbox and my controller won't stop pressing the fake A button: The audio does not play at all and my controller won't stop pressing A fakely. Is there a way to fix this? f85344fb-cd63-4abb-ac48-68a01636c631