xbox consoles are sending SRV requests for LDAP servers twice a minute

Discus and support xbox consoles are sending SRV requests for LDAP servers twice a minute in XboX Insiders to solve the problem; Hello There. I have been trying to get this question answered by various sources and haven't had any luck. So reviewing my local DNS logs I have found... Discussion in 'XboX Insiders' started by /u/TJThePhantom, Jan 12, 2023.

  1. xbox consoles are sending SRV requests for LDAP servers twice a minute


    Hello There. I have been trying to get this question answered by various sources and haven't had any luck.

    So reviewing my local DNS logs I have found that both my XBOX consoles the XBOX Series X and XBOX One X. Will each send 2 DNS requests twice a minute for the following SRV record.

    _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.xxxxxx.xxx

    Where xxxxx.xxx is the local domain that my DHCP server sends out for all DHCP requests.

    Since there is no LDAP / Active Directory server on my local network for this SRV record my DNS server responds with an NXDOMAIN. Which based on the RFC is expected response.

    Reviewing the following document I found on Microsoft's site. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/o.../ms-adts/7fcdce70-5205-44d6-9c3a-260e616a2f04

    To locate domain controller (DC) hosting NC N, the client machine issues a DNS query for the SRV record _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.N, constructed from the NC name (N).

    Okay that's fine but I am just trying to understand why the XBOX consoles need to perform this lookup so often. Also would be nice to understand why is the XBOX looking for an active directory server on a personal home network?

    I haven't been able to find anything in the consoles to suggest they are doing some LDAP auth for some local service. But would be interested to know if this is the case.

    I have reached out to XBOX Support. The community support suggest I go change the DNS servers on the XBOX System settings. I do this for Cloudflare, GoogleDNS, Quad9 and well I still see the local DNS request to the DHCP server for this LDAP SRV record.

    I reply to them that changing the DNS server will not solve the issue since it's a local lookup.

    Was just trying to understand why this is happening. So any feedback would be very much appreciated.

    This happens on both my XBOX Series X and XBOX One X.

    Both devices are in the Alpha Ring. Last check of this morning the XBOX One X was running 10.0.22621.3350 but this appears to have been happening with these DNS lookups for at least a year now from what I can tell based on DNS server logs.

    submitted by /u/TJThePhantom
    [link] [comments]
     
    /u/TJThePhantom, Jan 12, 2023
    #1
  2. IMLEG1TB0SS Win User

    minecraft servers

    Type in Minecraft Servers on Xbox forums and send friend requests
  3. Beserk58 Win User

    i don't want hurt anyone i just some gameing buddys

    I'll send you a request in a minute, bud
  4. Justifis Win User

    Random connection interruptions and disconnections from Xbox Live parties

    Thanks Taidara, but I've confirmed the issue. My router model (ZyXEL PK5001Z) has a bug that causes the router to request a new IP address from the DHCP server every 15 minutes. My ISP is sending out a replacement router that currently has no issues.
  5. ngocphi Win User

    Help With Gamertag Changing

    the only way to check is by trying to change to that name

    if you send a fruend request here it just means it doesnt exist on xbox servers

    there is still zune and games for windows

    as it doesnt cross servers but they do share the same system
  6. G0DOFGAMES Win User

    G0DOFGAME'S 24/7 PVP [CURRENCY] [SHOP] [24/7]

    Server is full already. Feel free to still send friend requests. I will accept instantly.
Thema:

xbox consoles are sending SRV requests for LDAP servers twice a minute

Loading...
  1. xbox consoles are sending SRV requests for LDAP servers twice a minute - Similar Threads - consoles are sending

  2. Delta Preview Forced Update Frozen Console Bug

    in XboX Insiders
    Delta Preview Forced Update Frozen Console Bug: Hello, I recently moved from the Omega preview to the Delta preview. I just turned on my XBOX and was sent through initial setup again after installing a forced 4.1GB manual update. It's led me...
  3. My console doesn't have disc to digital

    in XboX Insiders
    My console doesn't have disc to digital: I joined the xbox one insider program and joined disc to digital. No Update is available for the Console and there is no disc to digital button. Also nothing claims when I play a disc game....
  4. XBOX console home page tile launch actions - Delta Ring

    in XboX Insiders
    XBOX console home page tile launch actions - Delta Ring: I really liked that I could press A and it would launch the game card/hub and then I could select PLAY on any tile on the home screen. A few days back that behavior changed and A launched the game...
  5. If I remove my only console from Insider ring, will I lose my standing?

    in XboX Insiders
    If I remove my only console from Insider ring, will I lose my standing?: Currently in the ASA ring and I have a One X that's giving me more and more issues every day. Wanted to put it back on the public build and see if that clears up anything. Won't be getting my 25th...
  6. i cant send messages on the xbox app or through the website but i can on the console

    in XBoX Rewards & Social
    i cant send messages on the xbox app or through the website but i can on the console: i really like being able to send messages through the xbox app as it much faster for me and i can better translate messages from and into different languages 4399932b-5cf1-4023-8f44-73ed2968e452
  7. Xbox sends my console wrong updates

    in XboX Insiders
    Xbox sends my console wrong updates: Sometimes when there's updates for games I have installed it makes me redownload the full game size as an update I'll use fortnite as an example I get updates that are 90 GB every time it has to...
  8. Can you login on Xbox console by sending a notification to the Authenticator app?

    in XboX Insiders
    Can you login on Xbox console by sending a notification to the Authenticator app?: Without typing the code on Microsoft.com/link every single time? submitted by /u/Own-Store6135 [link] [comments]
  9. Can’t send or load messages on Xbox app, console or website.

    in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Can’t send or load messages on Xbox app, console or website.: So for the past 9 hours or so I haven’t been able to send or load messages on the xbox app, console or website. It still gives me a banner notification on my phone and an xbox notification on my...
  10. Opened my console before sending it in, to see if it was an easy fix. Would that break my...

    in XBoX on Consoles
    Opened my console before sending it in, to see if it was an easy fix. Would that break my...: I recently got an Xbox series s it was all brand new in the outside and the seal was new, and when I open it up to check their was a roundish grey area in the motherboard, which I believe was...