Xbox app won’t remember default install location after restart

Discus and support Xbox app won’t remember default install location after restart in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/xbox-app-doesnt-remember-default-install-location/969ae049-8ab4-446b-856a-fe94a225f9cb This thread... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by Smexhy, Apr 8, 2023.

1. Smexhy
    Smexhy Guest

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/xbox-app-doesnt-remember-default-install-location/969ae049-8ab4-446b-856a-fe94a225f9cb

This thread basically. It was never solved. Reinstalled fresh windows 11, it worked for like 1 day and then it stopped working again. App just won’t remember that my default install location is D: not C: after I reboot my computer. All the steps described in that thread wasn’t helpful at all and didn’t solve the issue, that’s why I tried to reinstall windows and try it like that. Seems like it’s clearly a bug. Everything is up to date.

:)

Smexhy, Apr 8, 2023
  2. Tomm_A Win User

Hello,

We haven't heard from you in 72 hours, so we assume your problem has been solved. We won't be monitoring this topic going forward, so if you need more help, please create a new topic to discuss these concerns by clicking this link: Create a new question or start a discussion (microsoft.com).

[​IMG]

Thank you for your understanding.

Respectfully

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
  3. Tomm_A Win User

Hello Smexhy,

Thank you for sharing your concern here in Xbox Community Forum and we hope that all is well.

We understand that you have posted this issue to a similar thread where the resolution was not determined, and we appreciate for creating a separate thread where we can discuss the issue that you are describing and hoping that we can get to the bottom of this.

Based on the description, Xbox application does not follow the default drive install location after restart. Let us check on this what is causing the issue. If ever we found this as a bug, then we will help you how to provide feedback so that our Xbox team experts can take a look and run an investigation to determine what is causing the issue.

Before we continue further, we would like to know more about it in details so that we can provide a more accurate information on how to resolve your concern.

1. When did the issue start?
    2. Can you tell us the version of your Xbox application?
    3. Are you having issue launching games in Xbox app?
    4. Are you having problems installing games in Xbox app?
    5. Are you getting an error message when you open Xbox app?
    6. Have you sign in same Microsoft account both in Xbox app and Microsoft Store?

For the meantime, let us make sure that we have set the target drive where new apps and games can be saved in your device. To do this, here are the steps:

• Press Windows Key + I to open Windows Settings
    • In the left pane, select System. In the right pane, click Storage.
    • On the following page, click Advanced storage settings > Where new content is saved.
    • Under Where new content is saved, select your target drive from the dropdown and click Apply.
    • Go back to Xbox app and try selecting the drive and see if it worked.
    To change the target drive in Xbox app, do the steps below:

• open Xbox app
    • Click on the Profile icon near the top-right and select Settings.
    • Go to the General tab.
    • Click on the dropdown menu under Change where this app installs by default.
    • Restart the computer and check if the drive you were facing issues with earlier can be used for installing apps.

We look forward to your response. Kindly let us know, if there is any misunderstanding or clarifications of our description by sending us a reply.

Sincerely,

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
  4. Rostom L Win User

Xbox app doesn't remember default install location

Hi AndreiZhuk1!

Sorry to hear about what's happening. Believe me, this is clearly not the situation I want you to be in. I would feel the same if I were in your shoes.

In regard to the issue you're experiencing, it's possible to be a bug since it just changes back when you restart your PC. The Xbox team actually appreciates our feedback and reports/suggestions for them to investigate and fix any issues we encounter. I recommend that you file a bug directly to the Feedback Hub. Check this link for your guide https://support.microsoft.com/windows/send-feed...
  5. Oddezt Win User

Xbox app does not remember default installation location

Hi again,

I have checked and I do not have any pending updates. I have also tried resetting and repairing the Xbox app and I am still having the same problem.
  6. Kimmy_24 Win User

Xbox app does not remember default installation location

Hi, Oddezt. I hope you're doing well and safe out there. I'm an Independent Advisor and I’m happy to help you today.

I understand that you're trying to set up your default drive on the Xbox app. Kindly try to make sure that the installation drive is the same on the MS Store and Xbox app. Delete all files in C:\Users\User_name\AppData\Local\Packages \Microsoft.WindowsStore_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache, and then reboot your pc.

This will only rescan all your downloaded files in just a few minutes then set up your installation drive, and press the Windows Key + I to open Settings. Click System > Storage. On Windows 10, underneath the More storage settings heading, click Change where new content is saved.

To change the default drive for new apps, use the New apps will save to dropdown. On the Xbox app, click the profile menu in the top-right and select the Settings options. Click on General. Under the “Game install options” section, select the drive to install games by default.
Thema:

1. Xbox app won’t remember default install location after restart - Similar Threads - app won’t remember

2. Why won’t my Xbox app let me join or create a party anymore?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Why won’t my Xbox app let me join or create a party anymore?: So I’ve only recently been having issues with the Xbox app where I cannot join or create a party every time I try it just removes me almost instantly even if it’s my own. Never had this problem...
  3. Why are my games and apps stuck at 100 percent and won’t install?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why are my games and apps stuck at 100 percent and won’t install?: For context I was reformatting an external hard drive today to see if it could run my games and instead I find out that the rest of my games on my internal are having trouble loading. My call of...
  4. Microsoft Store, Xbox App, and Xbox Game Bar Won’t download

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Microsoft Store, Xbox App, and Xbox Game Bar Won’t download: Hello - I have a brand new PC I bought today and the system won’t download the Microsoft store, Xbox App, or Xbox Game bar. Has a solution been found for this? I am using Windows 11....
  5. Subnatica won’t launch in the Xbox app claiming it’s a free trial?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Subnatica won’t launch in the Xbox app claiming it’s a free trial?: I have a problem trying to play subnatica on my pc through the Xbox app. When I try to launch the game it says my free trial is over even though I bought and played the game on my Xbox account...
  6. The Xbox app won’t let me change my account it only signs me on immediately

in XBoX Accessibility
    The Xbox app won’t let me change my account it only signs me on immediately: Every time I sign into the app on my windows PC it signs me into an account I don’t have an Xbox for. I wanted to switch my account but there’s no option. I’ve rest the entire app and deleted it...
  7. Ethernet won’t work with Xbox app on pc?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Ethernet won’t work with Xbox app on pc?: I recently got a PC and connected it to Ethernet. When I try to talk with my friends from Xbox using the app and game bar, I can’t unmute myself. Then I tried connecting to regular WiFi not...
  8. My Xbox account won’t let me sign in on my console or the phone app.

in XBoX Accessibility
    My Xbox account won’t let me sign in on my console or the phone app.: It’s not my connection at all. My husband is right next to me playing on his Xbox just fine. a8f0f213-ca6d-4400-a516-94296b5cc859
  9. My Xbox store app was downloading and I pressed cancel installation and now it won’t start....

in XBoX on Windows
    My Xbox store app was downloading and I pressed cancel installation and now it won’t start....: My store was doing the glitch where it re downloads every time you open it. I cancelled the down load and now it won’t open 0e9f022a-8891-4a0f-8fdc-78bc4109b884
  10. Xbox app won’t let me change accounts, keeps auto logging me into the account i was before.

in XBoX Accessibility
    Xbox app won’t let me change accounts, keeps auto logging me into the account i was before.: So in the Xbox app PC, I am into my friend's account to try a game he had but now whenever I try to log back into mine I click sign out then when I sign in it just does a black screen for 2...