xbox app win 10 throttles download speeds while playing single player games

Discus and support xbox app win 10 throttles download speeds while playing single player games in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I cannot for the life of me figure out why the app needs to throttle download speeds when playing a single player game and it's driving me insane. Is... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by lobanza, Jan 21, 2022.

1. lobanza
    lobanza Guest

I cannot for the life of me figure out why the app needs to throttle download speeds when playing a single player game and it's driving me insane. Is there any reason why it would do that and is there any way to disable that "feature"?

:)

lobanza, Jan 21, 2022
  2. L4c3rd4 Win User

Hello dear Gamer, first it's a pleasure to be able to help you today.

My name is Vinicius.

I am a gamer and independent advisor on the XBOX community platform.

Hey Lobanza, how are you today? Hope you're well.

Whether or not it's a single-player game or multiplayer game, your PC prioritizes the open game so you don't experience lag due to downloading a game at high speeds. Most likely throttle to avoid delays in loading game content. Most people don’t realise that download speed is affected by disk writes as well. :)

Unfortunately, that's not a feature that you can simply turn off. :/
  3. dg225 Win User

Slow download speeds on Xbox one/x

While downloading games. All apps closed in background. Network test on xbox will show 700’s for download speeds. Apoears that xbox is throttling download speeds on their end as ps4 and pc are on same network and diwnload on avetage at 800 mbps. Why is
    microsoft continue to do this. I will be giving ny business to Playstation moving forward
  4. ArminatorX Win User

How to increase Xbox Download Speed (Updates, Game Downloads)

How are you measuring the speedtest on your PC? Are you using Speedtest.net?

If so, manually select a server from the Seattle/Redmond area. Then compare these measurements with the download speeds on your console.

The only way to improve your download speed would be to physically move closer to the nearest Microsoft data center of your region, or investigate, if your provider is intentionally throttling downloads from high bandwidth services.

Usually, they don't tell you. But try to do a speedtest on your computer WHILE you are downloading on your Xbox.

To hide the fact they are throttling you, they will stop the throttle whenever they find you're measuring on known speedtest sites. If your download speed increases WHILE you are measuring, they are doing the throttling.
  5. ArminatorX Win User

How can I limit download speed on the XB1?

While there is no method (yet) to throttle the download speed on your console, simply start playing an online game.

As soon as a game uses the Xbox Live service, the Xbox automatically throttles it's background downloads, to maximize the bandwidth for your online multiplayer session.

I know this is a cumbersome workaround, but an online game requires fewer bandwidth than a download at full speed, and you should get better bandwidth for your other applications.

If all else fails, simply shut down the console into energy saving mode, so the console is completely turned off.

You can do that by holding the power button on the console for about 10 seconds, or going into the system settings and set the energy settings to "Power saving" mode instead of "Instant on".

That way the console is really shut down and doesn't do background downloads when you need the bandwidth.
  6. EVASIVE rabbi Win User

Xbox app on PC

Hi KoKoola,

Sometimes internet speeds can be throttled if your modem or gateway has not been reset in a while. I know this is a "step one" process but some people miss it.

In my case I have downloaded a speedtest app on my phone to test my download and upload speeds daily. I would highly suggest downloading that app and seeing if your ISP is giving you the speeds you pay for.

Also try to minimize wireless connectivity from the modem to pc. Wired connections are the best solution for fluctuations is speed.

Hope this helps.
Thema:

1. xbox app win 10 throttles download speeds while playing single player games - Similar Threads - app win throttles

2. Xbox App for Win 10 Not Starting

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox App for Win 10 Not Starting: Hello all, I'm having an issue with my Xbox App on W10. It won't start. This all started a couple weeks ago, it just crashed one day and never wanted to start back up. What it's doing is, when I...
  3. Xbox App achievements don't appear in notifications or make a sound on Win 10, only when...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox App achievements don't appear in notifications or make a sound on Win 10, only when...: I have googled and tried just about every fix I have seen. All notifications are on in every area, Xbox game bar, the notification control themselves. Focus assist isn't on. The Xbox game bar is...
  4. Problems with new win 11 and xbox app not lettting me sign in with different account...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Problems with new win 11 and xbox app not lettting me sign in with different account...: So I have win 11 on my old laptop and it lets me sign in with either account. However, this new machine will only sign in with my laptop account. I have a different account with game pass ultimate...
  5. Xbox app freezes on Win 10

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox app freezes on Win 10: When I open the xbox app to enter the game pass it opens but freezes automatically like in the screenshot, I can minimize it but can't close it until I finished the task from the task manager. I...
  6. Xbox app does not let me click anything [WIN 11]

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox app does not let me click anything [WIN 11]: When I launch the Xbox I see the main screen but I can't click anything. I see a message that says that the app require update, but again I can't click anything. What I tried: - Restart PC -...
  7. XBOX app automatically switches to offline mode when ı open any games (win 11)

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX app automatically switches to offline mode when ı open any games (win 11): I bought xbox game pass pc version to play games with my friends . But xbox app automatically goes offline when open any games (even microsoft solitare) . Does anyone know how could ı fix this ....
  8. Unable to see-download games on the Xbox App (Win 11 ARM)

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Unable to see-download games on the Xbox App (Win 11 ARM): Hello. I've installed Win 11 arm version to my mac and after a hard challenge with sign-in issue I opened the app but there is nothing about games. Only community and cloud tabs are visible. So...
  9. help with gaming services on win 11 for Xbox app

in XboX Insiders
    help with gaming services on win 11 for Xbox app: Just got removed my post asking for help regarding the gaming services issue on win 11. No solution worked so far. I just want to get rid off this issue and play my games on game pass. submitted...
  10. Xbox PC app not showing installed games after Win 11 update

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox PC app not showing installed games after Win 11 update: Hi, Last week I updated to Win 11. Xbox PC app was working perfectly on Win 10, now on Win 11, it's slow to load and also does not show my installed games, games that I can directly play do not...