Xbox App seems to recognize but doesn't accept external hard drive?

Discus and support Xbox App seems to recognize but doesn't accept external hard drive? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hello everyone! I bought a new external hard drive (HDD) for storing games. It works perfectly fine with other launchers, I've already installed some... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Elyax31, Feb 28, 2022.

1. Elyax31
    Elyax31 Guest

Hello everyone!

I bought a new external hard drive (HDD) for storing games. It works perfectly fine with other launchers, I've already installed some games. The XBox app for PC (W10), however, doesn't allow me to select it when I want to install a game. It lets me select the external hard drive in the app settings, but once I click on 'Install' on any game it jumps back to my previously selected, internal hard drive and I don't even have the option to select the external hard drive anymore - like it does not exist.

When I go back to the settings I can select the external one as 'standard' again (it doesn't allow me to select a folder though, as with the internal one), but then again, I try to install a game and the external hard drive just disappears in the list. Endless cycle.

Does anyone know if I can do anything, and if I can, what I can do to make it work?

Any help is appreciated, and thank you guys in advance!

- Elye

:)

Elyax31, Feb 28, 2022
  2. XBF-JoannaDark Win User

‬Hi, Elyax31,

I hope you are doing well today. Welcome to the Xbox Community. You have issues with game installation on your external hard drive on PC Game Pass. I am happy to help and provide suggestions that will hopefully resolve your problem. Please try the steps I provided below and let me know if this fixed the issue.

Solution 1: Format Secondary drive

Formatting to NTFS is also required for backing up games and captures on external storage devices connected to Windows PCs. IF you are trying to install on another drive, please make sure the hard drive is formatted correctly.

Solution 2: Set the default installation drive

1. Open Xbox app
    2. On the top-right corner, click on your profile and select settings.
    3. Click on General and then navigate to Change, where this app installs games by default.
    4. select the drive you want to install your games
    Solution 3: Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files. If some Windows functions aren't working or Windows crashes, use the System File Checker to scan Windows and restore your files. Sometimes corrupted files can cause issues.

Solution 4: Reset Windows 10 store & Xbox app

1. Open Settings.

2. Go to Apps -> Apps & features.

3. Look for Microsoft Store/Xbox App and click it on the right side.

4. The advanced options link will appear. Click it

5. Next, click on the Reset button to reset Microsoft Store/Xbox App to the default setting.

Solution 5:
    Try reinstalling the Gaming Services package on your Windows 10 device:

1. Right-click the Start button in the lower-left corner of the main screen, and then select Windows PowerShell (Admin).
    2. In the Administrator: Windows PowerShell screen, type the following command and press Enter:
    3. Get-AppxPackage *gamingservices* -allusers | remove-appxpackage -allusers
    Solution 6: Play games offline on Windows 10 using Offline mode; this error could also be attributed to issues with the Microsoft store not recognizing your entitlement to the game. Would you please click on this link Play games offline on Windows 10 using Offline mode | Xbox Support. Then scroll down and click on the drop-down arrow and look at the steps for How to enable offline play on your device

I hope these suggestions help! If this answers your question, please mark the thread as "Answered."
  3. fishbait1 Win User

External Hard Drive

My Xbox is a year old and all of a sudden doesn't recognize my external hard drive.
  4. reddevildj Win User

external hard drive

I got an external hard drive for my Xbox One and installed everything on it, yesterday i turned off the Xbox while i was on a game and now my Xbox doesn't recognize the hard drive but when i connected it to my PC it is recognized.
  5. H-F Hum Win User

Issues with installation

I'm gonna be more specific: the game doesn't accept installation on external storage. Whether it's flash drive or external hard drive, the game isn't meant to install on external storage connected through USB just like Need for Speed Rivals on Xbox 360.
    You need to install it on an internal hard drive (media hard drive). The link I provided to you aren't external hard drives; they're internal hard drives for the Xbox 360:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/accessories/harddrives
  6. EzequielNeves19 Win User

My son Xbox one External hard drive won't connect to Xbox one one what do I do and if not how do I get his save game off it

Perhaps your child's external hard drive is not working. Is your child's external hard drive recognized by the Xbox One? Does it turn on any lights?
Thema:

1. Xbox App seems to recognize but doesn't accept external hard drive? - Similar Threads - App seems recognize

2. Xbox App crashing/closing (windows 10)

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox App crashing/closing (windows 10): Suddenly out of no where the xbox app wouldn't open but just close instantly. I tried restarting pc and repairing and restarting xbox app or even reinstalling it. I even tried reinstalling...
  3. What can't Microsoft seem to figure out how to get apps to work on xbox

in XBoX on Windows
    What can't Microsoft seem to figure out how to get apps to work on xbox: NFL and Fox sports apps are garbage on Xbox but work everywhere else... Why? 77ebc054-d3de-4aae-9610-a27fbe91e2f9
  4. I can't seem to run any games on the xbox pc app.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I can't seem to run any games on the xbox pc app.: Everytime I do it it tells me to pick my account. I choose my account, however everytime it takes a moment saying "signing in" then only for it to show up with the same message over and over...
  5. Hello. I seem to have a problem with my linked accounts on the xbox app not appearing

in XBoX Accessibility
    Hello. I seem to have a problem with my linked accounts on the xbox app not appearing: The linked accounts option isn't showing where it's supposed to be on the xbox app on pc and when I go to the mobile app to get to it, it constantly says "something went wrong"....
  6. Issues signing into Xbox App for PC - ongoing for months, Microsoft dont seem to care!!!

in XBoX Accessibility
    Issues signing into Xbox App for PC - ongoing for months, Microsoft dont seem to care!!!: For months, I have been unable to sign into the Xbox App for PC, I've had to install games via the mobile app as a workaround, they will then launch from windows, however, there are now some games...
  7. I cant seem to find "App Store" on mine xbox 360

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I cant seem to find "App Store" on mine xbox 360: I cant seem to find "App Store" on mine xbox 360 please help since microsoft deleted all the sites wich lead to xbox 360 support and help If Microsoft Responds please help me fix it...
  8. I can't seem to find the gamedvr app in the store?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I can't seem to find the gamedvr app in the store?: Hey, I've been trying to get the GameDVR app for my xbox, but I can't seem to find it on the store. Can anyone help? Thanks in Advance, 7ead9b7c-2324-4c5e-b5e7-7d84fe9d2e9f
  9. Xbox Console Companion & Xbox App never seem to work properly.

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox Console Companion & Xbox App never seem to work properly.: I'm on PC. Most of my friends have an Xbox One of some kind. When i want to join their party, it's mostly ok, apart from when one particular person wants me to join them, and that happens to be...
  10. Can't seem to get ReCore to launch via the Xbox pc beta app

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't seem to get ReCore to launch via the Xbox pc beta app: No matter what I try I can't seem to get Recore to load up, I click play and it just minimizes the Xbox pc beta app and just stays on my desktop. I thought it might be an issue with choosing the...