Xbox app not allowing me to change install folder location

Discus and support Xbox app not allowing me to change install folder location in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have formatted the drive for NTFS, it is a new drive. It works perfectly fine for other operations. For whatever reason, I cannot choose this new... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by impakta123, Jan 7, 2023.

1. impakta123
    impakta123 Guest

I have formatted the drive for NTFS, it is a new drive. It works perfectly fine for other operations. For whatever reason, I cannot choose this new drive as a new install folder location. Additionally, I can't even select the C drive. It says "cannot find C:\C:\users\..." location. Also, when I try to select anything other than the original drive I was using to install games, it says "that's not a folder in the X:\ drive". Is there any solution to this at all besides reinstalling Windows? In my opinion, that's not a solution. I shouldn't have to reset my entire OS to change the install location for a new game.

:)

impakta123, Jan 7, 2023
  2. CarTzy Win User

Hello impakta123,

Welcome to the Xbox Community Forum. Thank you for sharing your concern with us today and we hope that all is well. I can see that you are having difficulties changing the installation location. Let me see how I can assist you with this concern.

We will first do our research so we can give you concrete answers about what is causing the problem.

However, we’d like to know more about it in details so that we can provide a more accurate resolution for you. To start, please provide us information/answer on the following questions:

• Current version and edition of Windows Installed? (Search for WINVER in Windows search to see this)
    • Xbox app and Gaming services version?
      • Xbox app > select Profile picture > Settings > About.
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done?
    • Was this working before?
    • Recent activity or changes made before the issue appeared?

So far, from the details you provided, you can try the following steps and let us know the result. You can just skip those you have done already.

Troubleshoot issues with the Xbox app for Windows

Troubleshoot issues with the Xbox app for Windows | Xbox Support

Let us know the result and we will get back to you as soon as we can. We may recommend further troubleshooting steps once we have received your answers to the above questions.
  3. CarTzy Win User

Hello impakta123,

Thank you for your response. It seems that you are running an older version of Windows. Try to run an update and see if this fixes the issue.
  4. impakta123 Win User

Thank you for the response, but I've given up on using Xbox for PC or whatever they call it. I can easily change the install location on Steam, so I'll just continue to use that service.

To answer your questions, in case they help someone in the future.

- Windows 10, version 21H2 (OS build 19044.2486)

- I had the most current version of the Xbox App as of Jan. 6, 2023. I don't know what that is/was as I have already uninstalled it. That being said, it didn't work a year ago either, which is when the issue first appeared.

- I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app multiple times, I tried using different drives, including ones I reformatted specifically for testing the issue. I can't remember if I tried anything else the first time this issue appeared, but just to reiterate: The same problem was happening over a year ago on the same system, which has been kept up-to-date. It was a problem on a prior version of Windows 10, and it remains a problem today.

- It worked perfectly fine for about 2 or 3 months when the system was new. It stopped working about a year ago, and hasn't worked since, despite multiple attempts over the last year to re-install and check to see if the issue remains.

- I remember the issue appeared when I set the system up to have a Linux partition so I could learn that OS. I followed a guide for that, and everything else was running fine. I no longer recall if it happened *exactly* at the same time, but I believe it did. The Linux partition has been removed now, but that did not resolve the issue.

Thanks for the help.
  5. XBF-JoannaDark Win User

File system error (-2015294512) Among Us

Hello Zach.1,

The Xbox app was updated and now allows you to create folders and location on where you want to install your games and easily access the files. May I suggest that you

1. Open Xbox app
    2. Click on your profile icon and go to settings
    3. Then General
    4. Game install options
    5. Then change folder and choose a different location or drive and name the folder "GameTest"
    Then attempt to install the game and see if you have any issues. If the problem is fixed by doing that, then going forward you can install your games to that folder and location.
  6. QuickMythril Win User

Moving Xbox Games To Secondary HD

hm good question. the default installation folder for Windows "App" style programs is C:\Program Files\WindowsApps (a hidden folder). i don't see any settings in the Store app that allows you to choose another location.

ok just came across this site:

www.thewindowsclub.com/move-windows-10-apps-other-drive-change-install-location

you go into Settings app, System, Apps & Features, wait for it to load all the apps you have, then select the App you want to move and press Move. it will allow you to choose another drive, but i don't think you can specify the exact file path. that should
    work for moving to an external drive though.

let me know if that solves your issue.
Thema:

1. Xbox app not allowing me to change install folder location - Similar Threads - app allowing change

2. My xbox one will not allow me to delete the save files from my game & app menu. What do I...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My xbox one will not allow me to delete the save files from my game & app menu. What do I...: My xbox one will not delete saved files from my game & app menu. I followed what the guidelines suggest and every time I reboot or restart my files are still there....
  3. The YouTube app on my Series X won't allow certain videos to play. The screen goes black...

in XBoX on Consoles
    The YouTube app on my Series X won't allow certain videos to play. The screen goes black...: The YouTube app on my Series X won't allow certain videos to play. The screen goes black and nothing happens. I can play these videos on my phone, TV and tablet with no problem. I do NOT have...
  4. Xbox App keeps closing and not allowing Forza 4 instalation

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox App keeps closing and not allowing Forza 4 instalation: Does anyone else have issues installing Forza 4???? When trying to download it says it's done instantly and then when hitting "play" it forces closes the Xbox App. I have done Xbox repairs...
  5. Xbox app on Windows 11 will not allow switching of accounts, automatically signs in to the...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Xbox app on Windows 11 will not allow switching of accounts, automatically signs in to the...: So I recently installed windows 11 and setup the PC with primary account A. When I went to use the xbox app the account had automatically signed in. I went to sign out and sign in to the correct...
  6. Xbox Series S doesn't allow audio passthrough on Netflix and YouTube app

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series S doesn't allow audio passthrough on Netflix and YouTube app: Hello, When Xbox Series S audio is set to output uncompressed stereo with Passthrough enabled, Netflix and YouTube apps output uncompressed stereo instead of Dolby digital plus such as Disney+ or...
  7. Unable to play game that is under allowed apps

in XBoX Accessibility
    Unable to play game that is under allowed apps: My account has a certain game that, while above what I am normally allowed to play by my restriction settings, is under allowed apps and I have played before. Now I am no longer able to download...
  8. xbox px app not allowing any interaction?

in XBoX on Windows
    xbox px app not allowing any interaction?: i've just wiped my pc to (unsuccessfully) address bluetooth issues. up until the wipe, the xbox app had been working just fine, no issues whatsoever. since wiping, i've tried downloading the app...
  9. Xbox App on PC won't allow me to change my installation location to my D: Drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox App on PC won't allow me to change my installation location to my D: Drive: Recently I have purchased Xbox Game Pass on my Windows 11 PC however I cannot change my installation to my D: Drive and get the drive issue "D: - This drive isn't formatted as NTFS. (it is NTFS)...
  10. I trying to change payment account for Xbox PC app account but it wont allow me to add...

in XBoX Accessibility
    I trying to change payment account for Xbox PC app account but it wont allow me to add...: It prompt for business account or school account only. Why? [img] deb90c40-4018-4b12-9795-8636a96ee459