Xbox app not allowing installs to secondary drive on PC

Discus and support Xbox app not allowing installs to secondary drive on PC in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I could never find an answer or fix posted to this problem, so I tried to figure it out myself. Anytime I would try to select a different drive as an... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by homer2320776, Jan 28, 2023.

1. homer2320776
    homer2320776 Guest

I could never find an answer or fix posted to this problem, so I tried to figure it out myself.

Anytime I would try to select a different drive as an install location in the Xbox App on Windows, it would just flash or flicker real quick and default back to the C: drive.

Comparing the drives, the only real difference was the missing WindowsApps and XboxGames folder. Manually creating said folders didn't work either as they seemed to lack the correct permissions.

The fix was going to Add/Remove Programs in Settings and locating a Windows Store app that had the Move option available. By clicking Move and choosing the drive that wouldn't set in the Xbox App, Windows creates the necessary folders and permissions. You can then move the app back to the original drive if you want.

Now you can go back into the Xbox App and choose the other drive, it should let you select it without issue.

Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

:)

homer2320776, Jan 28, 2023
  2. PatrickCrouch1 Win User

So I installed a file to the C drive and then attempted to move it in the hopes that it would give an error message....and it did. This is what is happening: 0x80073d13. Which points to a block size mismatch which doesn't exist. I'm at 86% on my slow format. Hopefully that will fix it.
  3. Tezzerrific Win User

so am I, i have been an IT professional for almost 30 years now, but I have never had the issue you have and have not seen it neither, having done many thousands of installations and using the Xbox app and configuring for use on other drives I have never had this issue. using a variety of storage media (ssd, nvme, hdd).

The Xbox app is trash I know that but I have seen plenty reporting the issue but I have never seen it.
  4. Georges C. Win User

Hello again, have you checked if you have the latest version of Windows installed, at 21H2, because recently came out the latest update to Windows 10 and 11?

See which version of Windows 10 you have

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/see...

Updates are often seen as optional, Microsoft released major fixes this week, and make sure you have the Xbox Companion App installed.

If you haven't updated yet, click the link below, update, and make all subsequent security updates.

Download Windows 10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...

Download Windows 11

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...

Also, make sure all Xbox Apps are up to date in the store, and make sure you have the Xbox Companion App installed, it works with the Xbox App.
  5. Tezzerrific Win User

did you go settings: storage: :Advanced: where new content is saved: then select your D: drive, this then creates the required folder structure on that drive. if you did, what error did you get.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. PatrickCrouch1 Win User

Doing a slow format fixed it.
Thema:

1. Xbox app not allowing installs to secondary drive on PC - Similar Threads - app allowing installs

2. My xbox one will not allow me to delete the save files from my game & app menu. What do I...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My xbox one will not allow me to delete the save files from my game & app menu. What do I...: My xbox one will not delete saved files from my game & app menu. I followed what the guidelines suggest and every time I reboot or restart my files are still there....
  3. The YouTube app on my Series X won't allow certain videos to play. The screen goes black...

in XBoX on Consoles
    The YouTube app on my Series X won't allow certain videos to play. The screen goes black...: The YouTube app on my Series X won't allow certain videos to play. The screen goes black and nothing happens. I can play these videos on my phone, TV and tablet with no problem. I do NOT have...
  4. Xbox App keeps closing and not allowing Forza 4 instalation

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox App keeps closing and not allowing Forza 4 instalation: Does anyone else have issues installing Forza 4???? When trying to download it says it's done instantly and then when hitting "play" it forces closes the Xbox App. I have done Xbox repairs...
  5. Xbox app on Windows 11 will not allow switching of accounts, automatically signs in to the...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Xbox app on Windows 11 will not allow switching of accounts, automatically signs in to the...: So I recently installed windows 11 and setup the PC with primary account A. When I went to use the xbox app the account had automatically signed in. I went to sign out and sign in to the correct...
  6. Xbox Series S doesn't allow audio passthrough on Netflix and YouTube app

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series S doesn't allow audio passthrough on Netflix and YouTube app: Hello, When Xbox Series S audio is set to output uncompressed stereo with Passthrough enabled, Netflix and YouTube apps output uncompressed stereo instead of Dolby digital plus such as Disney+ or...
  7. Unable to play game that is under allowed apps

in XBoX Accessibility
    Unable to play game that is under allowed apps: My account has a certain game that, while above what I am normally allowed to play by my restriction settings, is under allowed apps and I have played before. Now I am no longer able to download...
  8. xbox px app not allowing any interaction?

in XBoX on Windows
    xbox px app not allowing any interaction?: i've just wiped my pc to (unsuccessfully) address bluetooth issues. up until the wipe, the xbox app had been working just fine, no issues whatsoever. since wiping, i've tried downloading the app...
  9. Xbox App on PC won't allow me to change my installation location to my D: Drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox App on PC won't allow me to change my installation location to my D: Drive: Recently I have purchased Xbox Game Pass on my Windows 11 PC however I cannot change my installation to my D: Drive and get the drive issue "D: - This drive isn't formatted as NTFS. (it is NTFS)...
  10. My Xbox one won”t allow me to install or update any apps or game I currently have downloaded

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My Xbox one won”t allow me to install or update any apps or game I currently have downloaded: As the title says, I can’t update or install anything. I can download games from disks but immediately after they are done installing it says I need to update them and I refuses to update them....