Xbox app ignores custom install location

Discus and support Xbox app ignores custom install location in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; After a reinstall of Windows due to a hardware failure, I can't get the Xbox app to install to the configured folder. Whatever folder I choose, it's... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by MarkusSchiefer, Sep 12, 2023.

  1. Xbox app ignores custom install location


    After a reinstall of Windows due to a hardware failure, I can't get the Xbox app to install to the configured folder.

    Whatever folder I choose, it's properly shown in the installation dialog, but games get still installed into C:\Program Files\WindowsApps.

    Before the fresh installation of Windows this worked without any issues.

    Yes, everything is updated, and I even tried the Insider version without success.

    This seems to be genuinely bugged, at least for new installations.

    2309.1001.3.0 (Xbox App)

    14.80.29002.0 (Gaming Services)

    6.123.9061.0 (Xbox Game Bar)

    I have also already reset, deinstalled, reinstalled the Xbox App and Gaming Service without success and followed steps given by Kathy A. in can not change install location on pc for gamepass - Microsoft Community

    :)
     
    MarkusSchiefer, Sep 12, 2023
    #1
  2. Rodelio P. Win User

    Xbox app ignores custom install location

    Hi MarkusSchiefer!

    Thanks for reaching Microsoft Community. We're here to help and let's work on this together.

    I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with the Xbox app ignoring your custom install location. Have you tried running the Xbox app as an administrator? Sometimes, this can help with installation issues. Additionally, you can try resetting the Windows Store cache by following these steps:



    1. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.

    2. Type "wsreset.exe" and press Enter.

    3. Wait for the command to complete and then try installing the Xbox app again.



    If these steps don't work, you can try contacting Xbox support for further assistance. They may be able to provide additional troubleshooting steps or escalate the issue to their engineering team for further investigation. To contact live support, please follow the guide below:

    1. Please use this link: Contact us | Xbox Support
    2. Scroll down and look at the lower left side if you can see the page matches the country/region you are currently located.
    3. If not, please select the country/region it is showing and select the correct one among the list.
    4. Make sure to use to check the available contact times of the support.
    5. Select the "Contact Us" button
    6. Select the drop-down menu options that will match your concern.
    7. The next window will provide you with support articles based on your request and we recommend reviewing the relevant articles before selecting the "See contact options" button.
    8. On the final window, you will be presented with multiple options. We suggest selecting either the "Chat online" or the "Request a call" options to speak with someone. Be sure to provide as much detail as possible.
    9. If you cannot get connected to the support, please use the Virtual Agent and enter this exact phrase, "Talk to an agent".
    10. Should you encounter same issue and have an error message please let us know so we can forward your findings to the Internal Support Team.

    Hope this helps!



    Regards,

    RodelioP.
  3. MarkusSchiefer Win User

    Xbox app ignores custom install location

    Sadly, they couldn't help me either.

    The only idea left was resetting the PC.

    That's a ridiculous solution to a simple bug in an app.

    If it even is a solution, since the issue occurred after a fresh install of Windows 11 on a new SSD and there is no reason why it should change after a reset.

    Even the Epic Games client was less buggy at release than the Xbox app after years.

    Time to switch to Steam even for Gamepass games, it seems.
  4. Rodelio P. Win User

    Xbox app ignores custom install location

    Hi MarkusSchiefer!

    Thanks for getting back to us!

    We truly appreciate your cooperation on this and thank you for performing the suggested steps above. If that's the case, it would really be best to contact live support as they can further assist you with more troubleshooting steps to try and fix this.

    Regards,

    RodelioP.
  5. MarkusSchiefer Win User

    Xbox app ignores custom install location

    Hi Rodelio,

    I already tried wsreset as well without any effect.

    As for running the Xbox as administrator, I haven't been able to do so.

    For some reason, the usual methods to run it as Administrator don't seem to be available for this application.

    This topic seems to pop up quite frequently with the Xbox app and I wonder why this is a reoccuring thing.

    The configured folder is even shown when confirming the installation and yet it's completely ignored.

    This means I can't mod games now. And oh boy, does Starfield need it.

    I will try my luck with the support and also update this ticket in case it gets resolved.

    Thank you,

    Markus
  6. XBF - Hayabusa Win User

    How to change Xbox App back to default saving location.. Problem I created a folder C:\FM22 and is stuck now at this

Thema:

Xbox app ignores custom install location

Loading...
  1. Xbox app ignores custom install location - Similar Threads - app ignores custom

  2. October 1, 2026 - PC Gaming Preview - XBOX PC App [2610.1001.8.0] & Game Bar for Windows...

    in XboX Insiders
    October 1, 2026 - PC Gaming Preview - XBOX PC App [2610.1001.8.0] & Game Bar for Windows...: Hey XBOX Insiders! A new version of the XBOX PC App on Windows has been released for users enrolled in the PC Gaming Preview. Check the release notes linked below to learn more: October 1, 2026 -...
  3. Mythic Achievement on the mobile app for Xbox

    in XboX Insiders
    Mythic Achievement on the mobile app for Xbox: I've already had it on my PC and console, now I need on the mobile app to see how they gonna look on there. Keep it up with the good work guys submitted by /u/marcelu2k23 [link] [comments]
  4. mass effect legendary edition not showing up in my xbox pc app library to install.

    in XboX Insiders
    mass effect legendary edition not showing up in my xbox pc app library to install.: so yesterday with the rollout of disc to digital to the public i put i my mass effect legendary edition in my console to convert it disc to digital and i did just that but however though it shows...
  5. September 29, 2026 - PC Gaming Preview - XBOX PC App [2610.1001.5.0] & Game Bar for Windows...

    in XboX Insiders
    September 29, 2026 - PC Gaming Preview - XBOX PC App [2610.1001.5.0] & Game Bar for Windows...: Hey XBOX Insiders! A new version of the XBOX PC App on Windows has been released for users enrolled in the PC Gaming Preview. Check the release notes linked below to learn more: September 29,...
  6. Xbox game updates not showing in Games & Apps > Updates

    in XboX Insiders
    Xbox game updates not showing in Games & Apps > Updates: Hey, I’ve been having an issue on Xbox where game updates no longer show up under Games & Apps > Updates. The weird thing is that when I launch a game that has an update available, I can see that...
  7. Unwanted games appearing in Games & Apps section

    in XboX Insiders
    Unwanted games appearing in Games & Apps section: How can I permanently hide games from my games and apps that I don’t have installed? Since the last update, I have several games appearing in that list but they aren’t installed and I don’t wish...
  8. September 25, 2026 - PC Gaming Preview - XBOX PC App [2610.1001.4.0] & Game Bar for Windows...

    in XboX Insiders
    September 25, 2026 - PC Gaming Preview - XBOX PC App [2610.1001.4.0] & Game Bar for Windows...: Hey XBOX Insiders! A new version of the XBOX PC App on Windows has been released for users enrolled in the PC Gaming Preview. Check the release notes linked below to learn more: September 25,...
  9. My games and apps showing more things then I do

    in XboX Insiders
    My games and apps showing more things then I do: Is this a bug ? Or is this a setting somewhere I can’t remove them and I only have 4 of these installed and when I go to uninstall it doesn’t work But shows I have like 10 games on that list...
  10. Can we get an option to select expansion slot when installing games from XBOX app and not...

    in XboX Insiders
    Can we get an option to select expansion slot when installing games from XBOX app and not...: We should have the option to select storage options from the app. Choose between internal and expansion slot. submitted by /u/JRest71 [link] [comments]