xbox app has a problem loading installation locations what could be the issue?

Discus and support xbox app has a problem loading installation locations what could be the issue? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Split from this thread. I have this same issue and can no longer install ANY Xbox Game Pass Ultimate game due to error 0x8007003. This is a brand... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Doctor Hades, Feb 20, 2023.

1. Doctor Hades
    Doctor Hades Guest

I have this same issue and can no longer install ANY Xbox Game Pass Ultimate game due to error 0x8007003.

This is a brand new PC with Windows 11 and all SSD storage, both internal NVMe M.2 SSDs (4x 2 TB drives) and external SATA3 SSDs (4x 2 TB drivers). All the drives have at least 220 GB free with several of them being near empty except for my C drive which is a 397 GB partition with 109 GB free.

When I try to change the install location from the Xbox app, which defaults to C: and C:\XboxGames to, say, I: or O: then it seems to apply the setting but as soon as I close the app and then re-open it I see an error that the app had problems loading the application installation location. Drive I: is external and drive O: is internal. Both have games installed from Steam, Ubisoft Connect and EA with no issues. In fact, Steam updated some games from both drives yesterday with no problems (The Callisto Protocol and Dakar Desert Rally). Both drives also have more than 400 GB free.

I suspect my issue is that the games are being downloaded to my C: drive (where the Xbox app defaults too) before being copied to the drive where I asked the game to be installed to (I: or Oxbox app has a problem loading installation locations what could be the issue? :) and the 0x8007003 error is caused by an apparent lack of space. Age of Empires IV Definitive Edition, for example, which I have been trying to install since the update yesterday broke it says it requires 133 GB of space even though the game itself is only a 33 GB download (with a further 25 GB for the 4K videos).

However, I am unable to change the default install location. I've uninstalled the Xbox app and reinstalled several times after trying to repair / reset it but nothing works. Now it looks like any Xbox app game that I have installed that requires an update will end up breaking like Age of Empires IV did because I am unable to change the default location where the game download to. What baffles me is why if I choose to install a game to I:\XboxGames does it need to download to my C: drive which has limited space. Why do the games not download to the drives you choose to install the games to. I am trying to install Age of Empires IV to a drive that has over 1.5 TB free but it just throws up error 0x8007003 everytime once it reaches the 100% download mark. A Plague Tale: Requiem, a 47.3 GB game, will only download 36% (approx. 17.5 GB) before it stalls and throws up error 0x8007003.

I am honestly sick and fed up of Microsoft's lacklustre games apps. I rarely have issues installing games on any other game service (Steam, EA, Ubisoft Connect, Battle.net etc) but the Microsoft Store and Xbox app always seem to have issues whether it is being unable to install a game, an update breaking a previously working game or a previously working game suddenly deciding it won't load any more!

:)

Doctor Hades, Feb 20, 2023
  2. RandallMorrison Win User

This seems to be a brand new issue for me as of today as well and it seems to be gradually evolving, I dunno.....First I tried to open the app to play a particular game and found that only 2 games of the 7 or 8 I had installed were listed in my library on the right-hand side. So, neither of those two being what I intended to play, i went to investigate library locations, restarted a few times, etc., etc. Well, in the end, I have the same screen you've posted there and none of the games I previously had in my library appear on the left-hand side at all. When I had previously navigated to the game specifically within the Xbox app and pressed "Play", nothing seemed to happen whatsoever.
  3. Doctor Hades Win User

I have this same issue and can no longer install ANY Xbox Game Pass Ultimate game due to error 0x8007003.

This is a brand new PC with Windows 11 and all SSD storage, both internal NVMe M.2 SSDs (4x 2 TB drives) and external SATA3 SSDs (4x 2 TB drivers). All the drives have at least 220 GB free with several of them being near empty except for my C drive which is a 397 GB partition with 109 GB free.

When I try to change the install location from the Xbox app, which defaults to C: and C:\XboxGames to, say, I: or O: then it seems to apply the setting but as soon as I close the app and then re-open it I see an error that the app had problems loading the application installation location. Drive I: is external and drive O: is internal. Both have games installed from Steam, Ubisoft Connect and EA with no issues. In fact, Steam updated some games from both drives yesterday with no problems (The Callisto Protocol and Dakar Desert Rally). Both drives also have more than 400 GB free.

I suspect my issue is that the games are being downloaded to my C: drive (where the Xbox app defaults too) before being copied to the drive where I asked the game to be installed to (I: or O:) and the 0x8007003 error is caused by an apparent lack of space. Age of Empires IV Definitive Edition, for example, which I have been trying to install since the update yesterday broke it says it requires 133 GB of space even though the game itself is only a 33 GB download (with a further 25 GB for the 4K videos).

However, I am unable to change the default install location. I've uninstalled the Xbox app and reinstalled several times after trying to repair / reset it but nothing works. Now it looks like any Xbox app game that I have installed that requires an update will end up breaking like Age of Empires IV did because I am unable to change the default location where the game download to. What baffles me is why if I choose to install a game to I:\XboxGames does it need to download to my C: drive which has limited space. Why do the games not download to the drives you choose to install the games to. I am trying to install Age of Empires IV to a drive that has over 1.5 TB free but it just throws up error 0x8007003 everytime once it reaches the 100% download mark. A Plague Tale: Requiem, a 47.3 GB game, will only download 36% (approx. 17.5 GB) before it stalls and throws up error 0x8007003.

I am honestly sick and fed up of Microsoft's lacklustre games apps. I rarely have issues installing games on any other game service (Steam, EA, Ubisoft Connect, Battle.net etc) but the Microsoft Store and Xbox app always seem to have issues whether it is being unable to install a game, an update breaking a previously working game or a previously working game suddenly deciding it won't load any more!
  4. sean wasshausen Win User

I have the exact same problem. I have plenty of space but it won't let me install anything. I can download apps through the store just fine, but no games. I've installed and updated gaming services several times as that is what other forums have said to do. Microsoft needs to get rid of gaming services, there are hundred of reviews and questions on the Microsoft site so they know it is an issue.
  5. Shetlandspony Win User

Same problem. started as an issue where I couldn't launch Football Manager. Then tried to ultimately remove the game and app as a possible fix. should have never done that. Nothing works.
  6. sean wasshausen Win User

I have the exact same problem. I have plenty of space but it won't let me install anything. I can download apps through the store just fine, but no games. I've installed and updated gaming services several times as that is what other forums have said to do. Microsoft needs to get rid of gaming services, there are hundred of reviews and questions on the Microsoft site so they know it is an issue.
Thema:

1. xbox app has a problem loading installation locations what could be the issue? - Similar Threads - app has problem

2. GamingServicesTcui.exe has stopped working when I sign into Xbox live on the Xbox app. How...

in XBoX on Windows
    GamingServicesTcui.exe has stopped working when I sign into Xbox live on the Xbox app. How...: i asked this question but I'm waiting for a response. It's been 4 days. I got nothing Question right here that's waiting for a response:...
  3. Has the movies and tv app on the Xbox 360 already been shut down?

in XBoX on Windows
    Has the movies and tv app on the Xbox 360 already been shut down?: Has the movies and tv app already been shut down? It hasn't launched since November... 98836086-71d6-4bd2-9a38-b26c8a0a4e54
  4. Has anyone else got problems with the Xbox App on their Samsung TV?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Has anyone else got problems with the Xbox App on their Samsung TV?: It looks like there has been a major refresh/update on the Xbox cloud gaming App, and it's affected the ability to select the 'play' game button. It's a shame, as the new features look great,...
  5. The Xbox app has a problem installing the game.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    The Xbox app has a problem installing the game.: Yesterday I installed Payday 2 in the Epic Game app and stardew valley in the Xbox app. When I finished loading Payday 2 I came to see the progress of loading stardew valley but it stuck at 5.2...
  6. xbox app has a problem loading installation locations what could be the issue?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    xbox app has a problem loading installation locations what could be the issue?: cant seem to download forza 5, in storage settings it says : There was a problem loading installation locations try again :xbox app says gaming services need to be installed but i already...
  7. Error has occurred on Xbox insider app and report a problem.

in XboX Insiders
    Error has occurred on Xbox insider app and report a problem.: Hey Xbox. Tried loading onto the Xbox insider app. It says a error occurred. Tried using report a problem, but report a problem isn’t working either submitted by /u/Zerpies [link] [comments]
  8. Xbox asking “Do you own this game or app?” Who else has this problem? If you do please...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox asking “Do you own this game or app?” Who else has this problem? If you do please...: I have a bunch of games that I’ve bought AND a bunch I got from games with gold over the last 8 years and ms asks me to verify ownership. For example I’ve bought elder scrolls morrowind TWICE and...
  9. xbox app installer problem downloading anyone else has same issue they fixed?

in XBoX on Windows
    xbox app installer problem downloading anyone else has same issue they fixed?: app only downloads a quarter and then stops and doesnt download the rest gets stuck in that quarter of the download 3af94869-d5e6-4009-9138-81319bdab58c
  10. Crunchyroll update has been stopped for 3 days, is there a problem with the app?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Crunchyroll update has been stopped for 3 days, is there a problem with the app?: For 3 days I can not use crunchyroll and the update marks error and stops. I read about this problem in reddit but no one puts a solution. b2193a66-ae2b-47b7-afa8-2e271276093d