Xbox App Games Refuse to Install on External Drive

Discus and support Xbox App Games Refuse to Install on External Drive in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I've currently been trying to pre-install Halo Infinite on my PC through the Xbox App onto my external hard drive without success. There's only an... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Rob Doran, Nov 16, 2021.

1. Rob Doran
    Rob Doran Guest

I've currently been trying to pre-install Halo Infinite on my PC through the Xbox App onto my external hard drive without success. There's only an option to select the boot drive in the install window and changing the download location through the app's settings is unresponsive, it still auto locks to the (CXbox App Games Refuse to Install on External Drive :) drive. My hard drive is properly formatted and has other games installed, and the windows settings for selecting the app download location also has no effect on the Xbox App. I've deleted and reinstalled the app and searched many threads of people with the same issue and no luck.

If anyone knows why this is occurring please inform, it's like Xbox doesn't want games on an external drive for some reason.

:)

Rob Doran, Nov 16, 2021
  2. Christopher Revoredo Win User

Hi there Rob welcome to the community forum! Christopher here, an Xbox fan just like you and has been on Xbox for years already. I would really love to make your day by helping you out. A lot of users are having this issue with the app! Some of them have found a solution by uninstalling the app! So, I suggest uninstalling the app completely! Everytime that it tried to give me a hard time I do this and it works wonders! Here are the steps!

https://www.techadvisor.com/how-to/windows/remo...

NOTE: This is a third party link that is not Microsoft's property, so you might encounter advertising on the website.
  3. TimsGurhl Win User

Installation issue

If you recently updated your console with the February 2020 update, it has bricked external hard drives world wide and Xbox Support refuses to acknowledge that the last update is causing an issue with external hard drives. No games will download, install,
    or launch from external drives since the update. They've known about this for close to a month.
  4. steeledwand7664 Win User

Xbox (Beta) app don't download on D drive

Is it an external USB drive?

If it is I had this problem.

I would suggest changing where the xbox app itself is being installed to an internal drive then making the change so that the games themselves are installed to the external USB drive.
  5. Tormaz Win User

Hard Drive Full.

Hello!

Most likely the drive is full because of games and apps installed. The two best options are to either plug in a compatible USB external drive and move some of them to the external drive, or delete some of the installed games or apps on the console.
  6. XBF - Dom Win User

Gioco installato su HD esterno tramite PC fisso non viene riconosciuto dal Notebook [Game installed on external HD via fixed PC is not recognized by the Notebook]

Hello Robwing85,

Thank you for reaching out to us about your issue!

Have you tried changing the install location to the external drive in the Xbox App on the notebook?

• Launch the Xbox App on your notebook
    • Click your profile icon
    • Click “Settings”
    • Select “General”
    • Under “Game install options” you should see “Change where this app installs games by default”
    • Select the external drive from drop down menu
    • Close out the app entirely and then relaunch it
    This may cause the Xbox app to recognize that there are games installed on the external drive.

[Let us know if this answered your question by tapping "Yes" below]
Thema:

1. Xbox App Games Refuse to Install on External Drive - Similar Threads - App Games Refuse

2. Basic Touch Controls on ALL Gamepass App Cloud Games

in XboX Insiders
    Basic Touch Controls on ALL Gamepass App Cloud Games: I love that Basic Touch works with remote play. It has been glorious playing BG3, D4, Harold Halibut all in my bed or even my commute IF the connection is stable enough. But, why cant this just...
  3. External HDD not launching games or apps

in XboX Insiders
    External HDD not launching games or apps: Updated to the latest preview (21/04/2024) and now after I launch an app thats installed to my HDD it just loads indefinitely then stops and gives an error for taking to long to load, when I...
  4. Play a PC Game isn’t working on the Xbox App

in XBoX on Windows
    Play a PC Game isn’t working on the Xbox App: I’m just so sick of waiting. Bing Rewards is doing nothing about fixing the “Play a PC Game” challenge for over a month. They ask me the same questions, I give them the same answer, and I end up...
  5. i cant install apps but i can install games and games updates

in XboX Insiders
    i cant install apps but i can install games and games updates: i tried almost everything, heres the list of all i tried three factory resets change dns use phone hotspot offline factory reset with pendrive use another acc to install restart my router...
  6. Is there a way to pin the game/app tiles at the top of the home screen?

in XBoX on Windows
    Is there a way to pin the game/app tiles at the top of the home screen?: Hi, I just wondered if there was a way to pin the game/app tiles at the top of the home screen? This is mostly just an aesthetics thing for me but also to make things easy to access too. I...
  7. i can install games but it cant install apps

in XBoX on Windows
    i can install games but it cant install apps: So, basically i cant install apps, when i try to install games like minecraft / fortnite (or another random game) it installs perfectly, but when i try to install any app like youtube / prime...
  8. Why The Sign-in Window is closing in games and app in windows 11 (RE:)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why The Sign-in Window is closing in games and app in windows 11 (RE:): The Sign-in Window or Pop-Up is automatically Close in games and app. When i Click Sign-in inside an app or Game It closes quickly So Even I cant Type Anything. I Tested So Many Apps And That Are...
  9. so my xbox wired controller is acting wierd on xbox game pass app it makes me look around...

in XBoX on Consoles
    so my xbox wired controller is acting wierd on xbox game pass app it makes me look around...: so my xbox wired controller is acting wierd on xbox game pass app it makes me look around LT and RT instead of one of my joysticks f4b7a134-1bf5-46de-a074-9f4c339e40f9
  10. I need help. For some reason my Xbox one refuses to open games and apps.

in XboX Insiders
    I need help. For some reason my Xbox one refuses to open games and apps.: For some reason my 7 (maybe) year old Xbox one won’t start up apps or games saying “for some reason [x] took too long to open”. I tried power restarting it (I think that was the name for it) I...