Xbox App, game download stuck on "Checking for updates", and can't start any other games

Discus and support Xbox App, game download stuck on "Checking for updates", and can't start any other games in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; As the title says. I wanted to install Pillars of Eternity, and the download stopped at 136mb in and the app simply said "Checking for updates". I've... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by Nohanatus, May 11, 2023.

1. Nohanatus
    Nohanatus Guest

Xbox App, game download stuck on "Checking for updates", and can't start any other games

As the title says. I wanted to install Pillars of Eternity, and the download stopped at 136mb in and the app simply said "Checking for updates". I've tried running Powershell as an administrator to remove and reinstall Gamingservices, but the app's download wouldn't start. After that I tried updating Window which did not help, the download would still be there, and stuck at "136mb". I also followed one piece of advice on Reddit, which was to uncheck "IPV6" on my network connection, but this did not work, neither did disabling my VPN to see if it improved the situation. I've also tried repairing and resetting the Xbox app. Along this I've restarted the computer several times and also signing out and back in on the Xbox app, but nothing changes, the download is still stuck and I've repeatedly been unable to even remove the download from the queue. Running other games does not work as well. The strange thing is that my computer is still making the noise it usually makes when I'm downloading or installing something. Does anyone have any solution? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Nohanatus, May 11, 2023
  2. RallyRotties Win User

new modem, now can't download apps

Just wanted to add an update- I was able to download Gotham Impostors with no problems, but can't download any updates to this game or any other apps, nor can I download Hulu or Netflix. This makes me suspect it's an xbox issue and not a connectivity issue.
    I do have someone coming out to check our internet connection as they agree that it's not running as fast as it should, but I find it odd that a 19GB game will download but not any updates.
  3. Kathy A. Win User

Xbox Game Pass App Stuck on "Checking updates", can't download, update or cancel the download of games

Hello Otavio_360,

You're welcome. Thanks for the update!

We are pleased to know that everything is up and running now.

We are tracking few threads with similar issue that you encounter, and one has mentioned that restoring corrupted files has resolved their issue. In that case, there could be an update or restoring of corrupt files that happened that help you and others fix the issue.

We also have specific steps for issues on Xbox App for Windows for your future reference - Troubleshoot issues with the Xbox app for Windows | Xbox Support.

Have a great day and do not hesitate to reach out for support in the future.

Regards,

Kathy A,
  4. Otavio_360 Win User

Xbox Game Pass App Stuck on "Checking updates", can't download, update or cancel the download of games

5. Kathy A. Win User

Hello Otavio_360,

We hope you are doing well. Thank you for posting in Xbox Forums.

We appreciate you have listed all the troubleshooting you have performed and raising your concern to us. Before you consider performing clean install, may we ask for you to gather the details below and send a bug report to Team Xbox for further investigation. Let us check on this together and sort this out in timely manner.

To properly isolate your concern, we will be asking some questions. Please provide details/information for us to give more accurate resolution for you.

1. May we know the versions of the following apps? All the versions can be found on Xbox app > Settings > About
      • Xbox app
      • Xbox Game Bar
      • Gaming Services
    2. May we ask for the Windows version and edition of your computer or laptop? Please type WINVER into the Windows search bar and hit Enter.
    3. When did this issue happen? Was there a recent Windows update or new application installed on your device?
    4. Do you have these apps on your computer, game mods, game add-ons, antivirus, antimalware, VPN, firewall, proxy and PC Optimizer? Were these apps installed before the issue of installation on games for Xbox app happen? Or even you have not yet experienced an issue installing games on Xbox app, are these apps already installed?

To report a bug to the Team Xbox, please follow the steps below:

1. Navigate to the top right of the application and select your gamerpic icon
    2. Select “Feedback” in the drop-down menu
    3. Select “Report a problem”
    4. Click Give new feedback
    5. Add [Xbox Forum] in “Summarize your feedback” followed by a feedback summary
      • Summary should be descriptive and fully detailing the error you are receiving. Links redirecting to this forum post will not be accepted and will cause a delay in your feedback submission.
    6. Category should automatically be selected.
    7. In the "add more details" category, you will have the option to "Recreate my problem". Recreating the problem will help us further pinpoint the error you are receiving.
    8. Once complete, post the title of the bug report along with the submission date in this thread

We look forward to your response.

Kindly let us know, if there is any misunderstanding or clarifications of our description by sending us a reply.

Sincerely,

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
  6. DeniqL Win User

Get the app to open this link ms-xbl-multiplayer - Unable to play multiplayer game

Hi! I'm Luis, a fellow Xbox Gamer . Thanks for reaching us out here.

Have you checked if your Xbox App is updated?

Press the Start button on the taskbar, type store, and open the Microsoft Store app. Select Library. Under Updates & downloads, check if there are any updates available for the Xbox app or Gaming Services app. If an update is available, select Update.
Thema:

1. Xbox App, game download stuck on "Checking for updates", and can't start any other games - Similar Threads - App game download

2. The PC Xbox app won't let me download games to drive D

in XBoX on Windows
    The PC Xbox app won't let me download games to drive D: I tried going into install options and switching the default drive from C to D but it just switches back to C after clicking it. So whenever I download a game and choose drive D the error...
  3. Microsoft phone with a Microsoft phone exclusive android app for downloading Xbox games...

in XboX Insiders
    Microsoft phone with a Microsoft phone exclusive android app for downloading Xbox games...: Hi, What if Microsoft considered a Microsoft phone only app that allows for on device downloads of Xbox game titles submitted by /u/DryAd6599 [link] [comments]
  4. Why does the Xbox app keep downloading a game when I never gave it permission to do so?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does the Xbox app keep downloading a game when I never gave it permission to do so?: About every week for the past month, the Xbox app on my PC will download the game "Wartales" and I'll see it in my library with the message "Just installed!". The thing is, I have never initiated...
  5. How to transfer previously downloaded games to new device from Xbox app store, Computer-pc

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How to transfer previously downloaded games to new device from Xbox app store, Computer-pc: if you get a new computer and have games on xbox app store on your old computer, such as MSFS, then can you redownload the old computers games from the xbox app store to your new computer? Like...
  6. Error code 0x80004005 every time I try and download a game from the Xbox app.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Error code 0x80004005 every time I try and download a game from the Xbox app.: I even fully installed Starfield using my Gamepass and it waited until the very end to decide to not install. No clue why it won't work. It does this on the Microsoft store, too, but shows...
  7. I'm subscribed to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, which includes EA Play. I downloaded the EA App,...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I'm subscribed to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, which includes EA Play. I downloaded the EA App,...: I'm asked to purchase the game or subscribe to EA Play. Trying to download Dead Space on my PC and EA customer service told me there's no problem on their end. 6f978fcd-e52c-4d19-9982-dff3efdce72c
  8. Microsoft Store, Xbox App, and Xbox Game Bar Won’t download

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Microsoft Store, Xbox App, and Xbox Game Bar Won’t download: Hello - I have a brand new PC I bought today and the system won’t download the Microsoft store, Xbox App, or Xbox Game bar. Has a solution been found for this? I am using Windows 11....
  9. xbox app pc won't update and gamepass games slow download speed

in XBoX Games and Apps
    xbox app pc won't update and gamepass games slow download speed: I recently remembered that game pass carries over to my pc as well so i attempted to download a gamepass game, state of decay 2. As i type this out, the download speed hasn't reached over 1 MB/s...
  10. I can’t play newly downloaded mature games on the Xbox pc app.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I can’t play newly downloaded mature games on the Xbox pc app.: Every time I try to play new mature games that I just installed, I can’t, because I get an error code that says class not registered. It only happens with mature games, but it doesn’t happen with...