Xbox 360S Hard Drive suddenly not formatted?

Discus and support Xbox 360S Hard Drive suddenly not formatted? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have a Halo :Reach Xbox 360 S, and the other day when I turned the Xbox Off, the console stayed on a while and did thing where the disk drive spins... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by David RomanDaniels, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Xbox 360S Hard Drive suddenly not formatted?

I have a Halo :Reach Xbox 360 S, and the other day when I turned the Xbox Off, the console stayed on a while and did thing where the disk drive spins really fast for a while and makes a bunch of noise before it shuts off. This took the longest time I ever
    remember.

Last night, when I turned it on to play my new game Brothers, it said it needed a new update. Then it said I don't have enough room, so I went to settings, storage, and it wants to format my Hard Drive. I have the original 250 gig hard drive that came
    with the console. I have not had other problems before this.

Many of my saves are on the cloud, but not all. I really do not want to lose everything by formatting the drive.

Any ideas what I can do to 'fix it'?

Can I transfer the hard drive data to another Hard Drive? There are a few saved games I would be so sad to lose.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I have, turned it completely on and off, taken the hard drive out and put it back in, nothing has changed so far.

:)

David RomanDaniels, Jan 1, 2014
  2. Daft Badger
    Daft Badger Guest
    My 60 gb hdd won't workXbox 360S Hard Drive suddenly not formatted? :(

If you have a xbox 360s then there is no 60gb hard drive for that model.You can't use hard drives from the older model 360's on the 360s or 360e.

Daft Badger, Jan 1, 2014
  3. Busta Dimez
    Busta Dimez Guest
    360s hard drive not working

Try to clear your cache because usually that clears any problem with the hard drive itself.

Busta Dimez, Jan 1, 2014
  4. MattKV1
    MattKV1 Guest

Zappy,

Can you create room by deleting any demos you may have on there? Try to explain on here what happens if you try to do that.

Thank you

MattKV1, Jan 2, 2014
  5. Chances are you have an aftermarket HDD. These get formatted after every major system update because of compatibility issues. It's recommended that you buy only official Microsoft branded equipment. If it is aftermarket support cannot help you.

VisageOfAnAngel, Jan 2, 2014
  6. I just had the EXACT same problem happen when i got home an hour ago. Somehow the xbox corrupted the 250 gb hard drive ive had for over a year now. ALL my game saves and activity are on that drive. Thats 5+ years of my life and hard work that got me to
    90000+ gamerscore. Im not going to lose it because of faulty hardware. Someone needs to tell us what needs to be done so we get all our game files back.

johannasceasara, Jan 4, 2014
  7. As I said 2 days ago, HDDs that format themselves after updates are generally counterfeit, aftermarket knock-offs. The only way to prevent it is to buy genuine Microsoft-branded products. If you paid less than $100 USD for a 250 gig HDD then chances are
    extremely great it's a fake and it's your own fauilt.

As far as recovering last data goes, you can't. The 360 uses a proprietary file system that is not meant for the layman to access and as such has absolutely no software to run data recovery on.

VisageOfAnAngel, Jan 4, 2014
  8. TROJANchamp1
    TROJANchamp1 Guest

Same this happens to me! 250g unformatted after update. It a " microsoft-branded HDD" its this update that corrupted our hdd !

TROJANchamp1, Jan 5, 2014
  9. Hey there

Welcome to the forums

I see quite allot of people are having this issue. However some of the gamers that are having this issue have official hard drives bought from Microsoft store. So I don't think its the hard drive it's self.

have looked on Xbox One Support | Xbox 360 Support | Xbox Live and Billing Support for some support articles that might be able to help you with your issues. The link bellow, will talk you through the common hard drive issues

support.xbox.com/.../hard-drive

This other link bellow will talk you through how to download your games and apps back onto your storage if you have previously bought them on your Xbox 360.

support.xbox.com/.../redownload-content

I hope all of this helps with your issue, please be sure to post back your results

Regards,

Nathan Roberts (SunkNath), Jan 5, 2014
  10. Hey there

I have contacted support about this issue, and would like to post some more information that support had passed onto me.

ZappyKins.

You can get your data back, if you have a transfer cable that plugs into your hard drive. You should be able to transfer your content onto another Xbox hard drive. As long as you have a transfer cable and as long as your content is not corrupt, you should
    be able to get your deta back from your other hard drive.

To get another data transfer kit, please go to the Microsoft Store. Or contact them on

0800 026 0329.

Microsoft Store Hours of Operation:

08:00-20:00 (GMT), Monday - Friday + 09:00-18:00 (GMT), Saturday

And yes, the support agent also viewed this thread, and she recommended this option

I hope this helps with your question.

Regards,

Nathan Roberts (SunkNath), Jan 5, 2014
  11. I dont know about ZappyKins, but I have an official microsoft transfer cable, and my original hdd that came with the conse (i think its around 20 gbs?) Anyway, it doesnt work. It still says my hdd is unformatted. I never had a problem before this update,
    and my hdd is not aftermarket. This is unacceptable i want to know how microsoft intends to get my 5+ years of game saves back. That for me is the only solution that is acceptable.

johannasceasara, Jan 6, 2014
  12. Hey there

I am not aware with what Microsoft is going to do. However I will leave that for them when they come on the forums later tonight

Sorry the links and information in the other posts and threads has not helped you or others

Regards,

Nathan Roberts (SunkNath), Jan 6, 2014
  13. TROJANchamp1
    TROJANchamp1 Guest

Same here. I have a 250g HDD that's is Microsoft branded!! And I says it is unformatted. I have not had any problem until this update. I have a lot of game that I played for on my hard drive along with items that I don't want to lose. This update affected
    both after market and Microsoft branded HDD, reading from other posts.

TROJANchamp1, Jan 6, 2014
  14. Just an FYI it can be "Microsoft branded" and still be counterfeit. Unless the HDD is purchased brand new and from a reputable merchant it can be fake. There are tons of fakes floating around on Amazon and eBay that say they are "Official Microsoft" and
    they most certainly are not. I wouldn't--personally speaking here--even trust the refurbished ones that game stores sell. The only way to be certain it's genuine is to buy it directly from Microsoft.

VisageOfAnAngel, Jan 6, 2014
  15. TROJANchamp1
    TROJANchamp1 Guest
    Trust me. Its a 100% Microsoft branded HDD.

TROJANchamp1, Jan 6, 2014
Thema:

1. Xbox 360S Hard Drive suddenly not formatted? - Similar Threads - 360S Hard Drive

2. Did Microsoft block Xbox 360s from Xbox Live on 1-11-24?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Did Microsoft block Xbox 360s from Xbox Live on 1-11-24?: On Thursday 1-11-24 two of my xbox 360 S and my xbox 360 E stopped accessing Xbox live. I had been using daily until 1-11-24. Prior to the access failure I had made no changes to network...
  3. How to fix xbox 360s 4gb memory

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How to fix xbox 360s 4gb memory: My xbox 360 memory had 2 out of the 4 gb used. After turning it on unused for a week it would be stuck on the xbox 360 startup. I waited for an hour and it said that there was a memory problem and...
  4. Why did Xbox stop making 360s games backwards compatible

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why did Xbox stop making 360s games backwards compatible: So I just was wondering why Xbox/Microsoft decided to stop making Xbox 360 games backwards compatible. There are still so many games that deserve/need to be made backwards compatible especially...
  5. To Xbox 360s have a hard drive with space on it to play video games that are on myCDs or DVDs

in XBoX on Consoles
    To Xbox 360s have a hard drive with space on it to play video games that are on myCDs or DVDs: Recently purchased an Xbox 360 from Amazon and had purchased a couple games and couldn't store game progress or even download games that required downloads. Is there not a hard drive with...
  6. XBox 360S 250GB Hard Drive not found

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBox 360S 250GB Hard Drive not found: I have a 360 s that for a year now the original 250GB hard drive won't show up in Memory. I 2 days ago purchased a Microsoft 350 GB hard drive and installed it thinking it would solve my issue....
  7. Will Xbox 360S separate hard drive fit Xbox 360E slot?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Will Xbox 360S separate hard drive fit Xbox 360E slot?: So i am buying an Xbox 360 E 4GB version and my friend has broken Xbox 360S 4GB but his 250GB hard drive is working and he is ready to give it to me. Will it support my Xbox 360E 4GB? Like can i...
  8. Hard reset a 4gb Xbox 360s with no HDD

in XBoX on Consoles
    Hard reset a 4gb Xbox 360s with no HDD: I'd like to hard reset an Xbox 360 S with no hard drive and 4 GB of internal memory. I am finding plenty of information about formatting the hard drive to remove all of the data but not about...
  9. How can I restore external hard drive space formatted by Xbox 360S

in XBoX on Consoles
    How can I restore external hard drive space formatted by Xbox 360S: Some time ago I used an unsupported 500GB External USB drive that I reformatted to FAT32. I attached it to the Xbox 360 to allow it to reformat some of the space. I have since then purchased a...
  10. installing new 360s hard drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    installing new 360s hard drive: is there any special things I need to know or do other than the physical swap out ? 581c6632-97ea-4f6e-bdd4-fb42fdd05e5b