Xbox 360 won't connect to internet without ethernet cable

Discus and support Xbox 360 won't connect to internet without ethernet cable in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hello, our Xbox 360 shows "Test Failed. There's a problem with your connection. Let's try to fix it," When I attempt to connect to our home network.... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Immortal Afire, Jan 1, 2023.

1. Xbox 360 won't connect to internet without ethernet cable

Hello, our Xbox 360 shows "Test Failed. There's a problem with your connection. Let's try to fix it," When I attempt to connect to our home network. However, there is no problem with our home network. When we use an ethernet cable to connect the Xbox, it works just fine. Also, when we use our phone as a hot spot, it works just fine. All of our other devices work just fine. Also, our Xfinity app shows that the Xbox is connected, but the Xbox itself shows that it is not connected. Does anyone know what the issue is here?

All of the troubleshooting we have found online assumes that there is a problem with our internet connection - but that's just it, our internet connection is fine. The Xbox simply refuses to connect to our home network unless it's plugged in directly with an ethernet cable.

:)

Immortal Afire, Jan 1, 2023
  2. Anthony Casella Win User

Thank you again for the response.

I had a tech from Xfinity come out this morning and he replaced my modem, and all of the connections and wiring outside, but none of that worked.

I'm not sure that those links you sent me are relevant to my particular problem with the connection. Are you suggesting that I need to manually configure my wireless settings? There is a warning before attempting this and I want to make sure that's what you're asking me to do, as you sent me a link with several options, and the previous tech I spoke to said I shouldn't need to do this. Can you tell me if and why this is necessary please?

All of the other steps in the links I have either tried, or are not relevant to my situation. My situation appears unique as I haven't been able to find anyone else online in the same scenario.

EDIT: So it appears that the Xbox 360 S needs to run on a "b" channel and my router does not support that.
  3. Tomm_A Win User

Hello Immortal Afire,

Thank you for updating us about your concern. We truly appreciate for all the troubleshooting steps you have done in your end to resolve the issue.

For your issue with Xbox console not connecting wirelessly, I understand that you have done so much effort to resolve the issue and we want to get to the bottom of this as much as you do. You may check from these links for other steps. You may skip if those are already performed. Here are the links,

Changing your ISP provider would also be put into consideration if it won't allow you to connect any device wirelessly.

For your video issue, based on your description that you have tried using HDMI cable to connect your console to your TV and your main concern is on HDMI port 1 the console was not detected and on the second port, it was detected. Not all HDMI port in your TV will support or compatible to the device connected. Each HDMI port in your TV is slightly different in capabilities and features (you may refer it to your TV's manufacturer). And it is good to know that there is a port of HDMI in your TV that is compatible with Xbox console and make note of it. If you wish to continue using the AV cables, you may try to use a new one to isolate if the issue is with the AV cables or the AV socket in your Xbox going to your TV port.

Kindly let us know, if there is any misunderstanding or clarifications of our description by sending us a reply

Sincerely,

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
  4. Tomm_A Win User

Hello Anthony Casella,

Thank you for updating us about your issue with your device not connecting to your Wifi router wirelessly.

As per description, your Xbox console can connect to your neighbor's Wifi router and even to mobile hotspot. The functionality of connecting your device to connect to a Wifi router is not anymore in question and we appreciate your effort for helping us isolating the issue. The issue now can be pointed on the setting of your Wifi router since the communication of both devices failed. What we can do is to provide you the Xbox 360 network ports and router configurations for your Xbox Live. Please refer to this link: Xbox 360 network ports and router configurations for Xbox Live | Xbox Support. Just to set your expectation that Xbox 360 support content is no longer supported and maintained.

You may refer to your internet service provider for the configuration of the port and router configuration.

If you have further concerns kindly create a new thread using this link - Create a new question or start a discussion.

Sincerely,

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
  5. Immortal Afire Win User

Hi Tomm_A, I really appreciate you responding. I haven't played on this Xbox 360 in a few years, and since then I've moved homes.

This issue started when I tried to connect my Xbox 360 to the internet wirelessly in my new home. There were no changes in the device between last time I set it up in my old home, and now.

The Xbox 360 is able to connect while using an ethernet cable to the modem.

The Xbox 360 is able to connect while using a hotspot from a mobile phone.

When I attempt to connect the Xbox 360 wirelessly, the modem administration page shows that it is connected, but the Xbox 360 itself shows that it is not connected.

Here are the trouble shooting steps I have tried:

1) Powercycled the modem numerous times.

2) Attempted to update the Xbox 360 while connected to a mobile hotspot (no updates appeared available). The current OS is 2.0.17559.0, which I was told by a support tech was the most recent update.

3) Toggled the UPNP on my modem administration page.

4) Checked the MAC filtering on my modem administration page to make sure the Xbox MAC address is not blocked.

5) Verified that there are no 3rd party headsets or any 3rd party hardware including the controller connected to my Xbox 360.

6) Verified that there is no wireless interference. I've set my Xbox 360 right next to the modem and it still will not connect wirelessly.

7) Attempted to change wireless channel, width, or mode as suggested in the link. The administration page for my modem has all of these options greyed out so I cannot change them. The current mode is set for 802.11 a/n/ac/ax. I've contacted my ISP but they were unable to help me.

8) Checked wireless strength - the Xbox 360 console shows 4 bars, which should be a sufficient signal.

9) Restored Xbox 360 network settings to factory defaults.

10) Before I attempted an update while connected to a hot spot, I attempted to force an offline update as recommended on another thread created by a person encountering the same issue.

The recommendation was to hold in the Sync and Eject buttons, while pressing power, then wait for a beep, which should then show instructions on the screen as to how to force the offline update.

Unfortunately, I did not hear a beep, and it did not show any instructions. Immediately after I attempted this, when I turned the Xbox 360 on, there was no video. The audio worked, and the controller worked, but there was no video.

I then had to go through a series of troubleshooting steps to correct this:

1) A tech online advised me to shut the Xbox 360 off, remove the hard drive, turn the Xbox 360 back on, then put the hard drive back in. At first nothing happened. I stepped away for about 20 minutes and when I came back the screen was on. The screen stayed on until I turned the Xbox 360 off.

2) Next time I turned the Xbox on, the audio was working and the video was not. I switched the input on the TV back and forth between inputs and nothing changed. 13 minutes later I came back and tried the same thing, this time when I changed the input back and forth it worked.

3) I moved the Xbox to a TV close to my modem. The video did not work on that TV. I tried another TV in the same room, left it plugged in for about 20 minutes, changed inputs multiple times like I did with the first TV and the video still would not work. I then swapped out the AV cables, which I have always used, for an HDMI cable. The TV did not recognize the HDMI input in the first slot, so I changed it to another slot and it recognized it.

The Microsoft tech said there is nothing wrong with my console (regarding the inability to connect wirelessly) and to contact my ISP. I have spent over 4 hours chatting with 4 separate people from my ISP and they can not fix this problem. I realize that I will more than likely have to change ISP's as it appears I will not be able to troubleshoot some of the above steps with my current ISP.

But before I do that, I'd like to fix this video issue, as this is a problem with the console itself.

What's my next step?
  6. Tomm_A Win User

Hello Immortal Afire,

Welcome to Xbox Community Forum. Thank you for sharing your concern with us today and we hope that all is well.

We understand that you are trying to connect your Xbox console using wireless connection and is unable to. Let us check on this together and sort this out. Rest assured, we will do anything in our capability to assist you with your concern.

If we may ask, when did the issue started? Were there any changes with the device before this issue occurred?

We appreciate for trying troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue in your end. You may check on the link below for more troubleshooting steps.

Here is the link: Troubleshoot an Xbox 360 wireless network connection | Xbox Support

We look forward to your response. Kindly let us know, if there is any misunderstanding or clarifications of our description by sending us a reply.

Sincerely,

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
Thema:

1. Xbox 360 won't connect to internet without ethernet cable - Similar Threads - 360 won't connect

2. 360 compatible games won't connect to Xbox live

in XBoX Games and Apps
    360 compatible games won't connect to Xbox live: Reset re downloaded game will continue to not connect to Xbox live on Xbox series x have 1gb internet and no issues with connection or Xbox f83858bd-4e88-4096-b549-7ae68716e635
  3. Why won't either of my series x xbox' connect to 360 servers?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why won't either of my series x xbox' connect to 360 servers?: I have two series x consoles in my house (two kids plus two consoles equals fewer arguments). Today my youngest wanted to play a 360 game on his profile but when trying to download his profile I...
  4. just bought a Xbox 360 game on my Xbox one and it won't let me connect to Xbox live its...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    just bought a Xbox 360 game on my Xbox one and it won't let me connect to Xbox live its...: bought a Xbox 360 game on my Xbox one and it won't let me connect to Xbox live its doing it with all my 360 games e9df6b40-85c6-47d0-80d4-805a8bb1e817
  5. When wanting to play Xbox 360 games on Xbox Series X - it won't connect to Xbox Live

in XBoX Games and Apps
    When wanting to play Xbox 360 games on Xbox Series X - it won't connect to Xbox Live: I downloaded a couple of games from Game Pass to play (in this instance Fallout 3 & New Vegas) When I go through the process of booting them up, it gets to the section asking to download my...
  6. Xbox 360 s won't connect to internet, all normal methods not working.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 s won't connect to internet, all normal methods not working.: Ok I'm gonna start this with saying that almost all methods I have tried have not worked, I have not replaced the network adapter at this point yet but I'm going to describe what is happening to...
  7. My xbox 360 won't connect to to Internet through hot spot on my mbile

in XBoX on Consoles
    My xbox 360 won't connect to to Internet through hot spot on my mbile: It connects to the WiFi hotspot but not the Internet through the WiFi hotspot e8ebad97-2fc8-46b4-aefd-f904199e22da
  8. my microsoft account won't connect to my xbox 360 so i cannot download any games to my...

in XBoX on Windows
    my microsoft account won't connect to my xbox 360 so i cannot download any games to my...: my microsoft account won't connect to my xbox 360 so i cannot download any games to my console. it says my account and password didnt work with an error code: 8015D002....
  9. Xbox 360 won't connect to new Wifi

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 won't connect to new Wifi: I had internet outages in my area and got a new Modem and Router I can see the new network, I'm sure I entered in the right password, but it just won't connect. I've tried with my Internet...
  10. My Xbox 360 won't connect to the wireless internet or mobile hotspot??

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox 360 won't connect to the wireless internet or mobile hotspot??: I recently got an xbox 360 with an wifi adapter and it's having problems connecting to the internet. When I try to connect to the internet it says - Network: failed Internet: blocked Latency:...