Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver (PC adapter for 360 wireless controller)

Discus and support Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver (PC adapter for 360 wireless controller) in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; All, I looked for hours online and spoke with MS online chat to find the Windows 10 driver for the Xbox 360 wireless controller PC adapter (proper... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Apollo_Shot, Jul 30, 2022.

1. Apollo_Shot
    Apollo_Shot Guest

All,

I looked for hours online and spoke with MS online chat to find the Windows 10 driver for the Xbox 360 wireless controller PC adapter (proper name in subject line). I would plug in the PC adapter and try to sync a wireless 360 controller (clicking the respective sync buttons on the controller and adapter). Both would recognize the other, but the controller would go back to the 4 flashing lights (i.e. showing it didn't actually sync). I, like most others with this device for using a 360 wireless controller on a computer for PC gaming, no longer have the driver CD that came with the adapter (lost it, never got one, dog chewed it, used it for target practice, etc.). FYI, this Xbox accessory is considered discontinued and is no longer supported by Microsoft, so they no longer have the drivers online anywhere for it (https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/xbox-360/accessories/xbox-360-accessories-retirement). I tried multiple 3rd party drivers that did not work for me. Also, using a Play & Charge Kit (USB charge cord for wireless 360 controller) to connect the controller to the computer didn't work for me; below I got from the MS online chat (Shane D., Microsoft Xbox Expert and super helpful with running down possible solutions) mentioning it won't work from MS.

Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver (PC adapter for 360 wireless controller) [​IMG]

I finally came across this YouTube video from 2015 and IT WORKED! It's very simple, step-by-step, solved the issue, and I can now use my wireless 360 controller with my PC. Someone can correct me on this, but I believe the adapter already has the driver on it; you just have to know how to access it through Windows 10. My driver list was slightly different that the YouTubers at 0:52 of the video but I still found one with the same text (Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows); it just also had a version number and release date next to it. I just picked the one with latest release date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpLr_94bbww

I confirmed the fix worked by opening up Fall Guys to make sure the game recognized the controller; it did. I hope this helps others and they can find this fix faster than my hours of endless late night searching.

Keep on gaming!

:)

Apollo_Shot, Jul 30, 2022
  2. maxen Win User

Connecting my Xbox 360 controller to Windows 8 laptop.

For wireless Xbox 360 controllers, you cannot use the charging cable to connect to a PC (it only transfers power, not data). To use the controller with a PC, you will either need an "Xbox 360 controller for Windows" (non-detachable cable) or use your existing
    wireless controller with the wireless gaming receiver for Windows.

This is the wireless adapter you could use:
    support.xbox.com/.../xbox-360-wireless-gaming-receiver-windows

Let us know if you have any questions.
  3. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox360 controller won't connect to pc

I've got an authentic wireless controller and I'm using the corded adapter.
    Hi,

Wireless Xbox 360 controllers are always wireless. You can't make them wired with the Play and Charge adaptor. The Play and Charge only charges the battery or powers the controller if no battery is present, it doesn't send data, hence the reason for all the lights flashing and no connection.

The only way to use a Xbox 360 wireless controller on PC is to buy a Xbox 360 gaming receiver and it must be the '360 receiver' as the Xbox One version is not compatible with the old Xbox 360 controllers. With the receiver present you can sync the controller via wireless to the PC.
  4. XBF Diego M Win User

Can the X Box One Wireless Controller with Bluetooth also be used with the X Box One Wireless Adapter for Windows 10?

Hi Beau,

Thank you for coming to the Xbox forums, I'd be happy to answer that.

The Xbox One Wireless controller with Bluetooth can be connected to a Windows 10 PC with a USB cable, Bluetooth, or with the Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows 10, so yes, it can be connected via the adapter. The Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows 10 is not
    compatible with an Xbox 360 controller and will need the Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows. I'll provide the support articles with this information:

I hope this helps!
  5. dearjenna Win User

Controller xbox 360 for windows 10 ?

Thanks for asking! I have the just straight up wired controller and it's an easy setup for me, but if you aren't looking to dump money into yet another controller model, the link for setting up the 360 controller to your PC has some info towards the end
    in that guide about the wireless controller setup. :)

"Note A standard Xbox 360 wireless controller can be connected to a Windows PC, but you must have an Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver to play games, even if you have an Xbox 360 Play & Charge Kit."

So you definitely can use your wireless controller, it just requires the adapter. There's more on that here:

support.xbox.com/.../xbox-360-wireless-gaming-receiver-windows
    :)
  6. Mr MB Nobody Win User

Controller not found in joy.cpl

Thema:

1. Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver (PC adapter for 360 wireless controller) - Similar Threads - 360 Wireless Gaming

2. Xbox 360 E says I need wireless network adapter?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 E says I need wireless network adapter?: So I have my Xbox 360 E and I wanted to connect it to internet because I heard that the Xbox 360 E has it built in so I don’t. Need to buy any extra stuff but when I try connecting it to my WiFi...
  3. Xbox app not recognizing my xbox 360 controller (wireless) but I've been playing games with it?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox app not recognizing my xbox 360 controller (wireless) but I've been playing games with it?: My PC is on windows 11. I have my Xbox 360 controller connected via the 'Xbox 360 wireless receiver for windows' the controller works fine for all games, I have just completed the Halo Master...
  4. Xbox 360 wireless controller not detected by windows after reconnecting it

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 wireless controller not detected by windows after reconnecting it: So this is a minor problem but it still bothers me because it's so weird. When I boot up windows, while my controller is connected to the wireless dongle, it shows up just fine under "game...
  5. Xbox 360 Wireless receiver detected as a xbox 360 controller (Windows 10)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 Wireless receiver detected as a xbox 360 controller (Windows 10): Whenever i plug in my Xbox wireless receiver/adapter to my computer, in the Device manager it gets detected as a controller and not an adapter. Ive tried updating the drivers but it doesn't work.i...
  6. Can a wireless Xbox 360 controller on older model be used to play games?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can a wireless Xbox 360 controller on older model be used to play games?: I have a second generation I believe wireless Xbox 360 controller, it's not the new Xbox console or the Xbox one remote it's the previous one that used to get the red ring. Just wondering if that...
  7. no connection..verizon wireless hotspot to xbox live from an xbox 360 game console

in XboX Networking Hardware
    no connection..verizon wireless hotspot to xbox live from an xbox 360 game console: no connection..verizon wireless hotspot to xbox live from an xbox 360 game console Hi daniellecauvin, Thanks for your post. I understand you are experiencing issues with your connection to a...
  8. I can't connect to xbox live from a 360 game whit wireless network

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I can't connect to xbox live from a 360 game whit wireless network: Hi there! I have a issue with the backward compatibility: when I start an 360 game on my one connected to a wireless network, that game doesn't connect to xbox live, so I'm forced to connect my...
  9. The difference between 360 laptop wireless controller and 360 game wireless controller.

in XBoX on Consoles
    The difference between 360 laptop wireless controller and 360 game wireless controller.: I bought a 360 laptop wireless controller thinking it was a 360 game wireless controller and I am unable to connect to my xbox unit. Is there a way to get around it....
  10. Wireless XBOX 360 controller won't work only in an online game (PC Win10 system)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Wireless XBOX 360 controller won't work only in an online game (PC Win10 system): Hello. My Wireless XBOX 360 controller will not work for example in NBA2K16 - it works only on a local game, but when I play with someone online, only the wired XBOX 360 controller works. It's...