Xbox 360 S disc drive problem - menu says "Play Game" or "Play DVD" when disc is inserted...

Discus and support Xbox 360 S disc drive problem - menu says "Play Game" or "Play DVD" when disc is inserted... in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I have an Xbox 360 Slim console that I had just replaced the disc drive in (the tray broke in the last one). The problem I am having with... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Zakriya#&, Dec 31, 2022.

1. Xbox 360 S disc drive problem - menu says "Play Game" or "Play DVD" when disc is inserted...

Hi everyone,

I have an Xbox 360 Slim console that I had just replaced the disc drive in (the tray broke in the last one). The problem I am having with it is that when I insert a game disc, the menu either displays "Play Game" or "Play DVD". When I press on "Play Game", it loads in a black screen for 3 seconds then goes back to the dashboard. When I press on "Play DVD", it just brings me to the "This is an Xbox 360 disc, please put it in an Xbox 360 system to play" video. I have tried this with 3 Xbox 360 game discs, but it still does not function properly. I bought the new disc drive off of eBay and I can confirm it is a real OEM model, not third party (it matches with the original one in my 360 before) and I have connected the cables in properly. What I have already done is reset the system cache in both my HDD and the internal drive and also remove the latest Xbox Live update. I don't think I can send it into Microsoft as the warranty has already been voided from opening up the console (already expired before this) and they probably wouldn't service a 2010 console. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

:)

Zakriya#&, Dec 31, 2022
  2. pawncrackers Win User

Nowadays in 2019: second hand Xbox 360 Slim or Super Slim?

As with all 360 consoles, you can choose to install the games to the hard drive, but you will need to insert the disc in the DVD drive, when you want to play them. Xbox uses a disc check to make sure the content licenses match.

Best,

L
  3. Obsessive Power Win User

Cannot play Backwards-Compatible Xbox 360 Disks On Xbox One S

Hi,

The Xbox One has a Blu-ray drive. Inside this drive are diodes, these diodes emit lasers to read discs. Xbox One games are on Blu-ray disc and this uses a different Diode to Xbox 360 discs which use DVD discs.

The Diode that is used to read Xbox 360 discs and DVD's has failed. This is why Xbox 360 discs and DVD discs are not working when you insert them into your console.

This is not something you can repair yourself. You'll need to set up a repair with Microsoft to fix it.
  4. elvismad69 Win User

about the optic unit

Holding the disc is the ONLY WAY the console plays any disc, if I insert it normally sends a message saying that is not a game disc. When I insert a music CD it is normal, when I insert a DVD it is normal, I got to do the holding thing only for games.
  5. Terry Hayes1991 Win User

Xbox 360 > Xbox one

hi im having problems with my xbox 360 slender,the disc drive keeps opening and closing to fast and doesnt give me time to insert a game disc and when it does i can only play around 20 minutes and the disc drive door opens itsellf and then it goes black
    and will return to the dashboard and says it
  6. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox one S not playing DVD-R

Its a dvd-r with mp4 files on it but ive burnt them to the disc
    Hi,

Not 100% sure about this, but I don't think it will not play DVD-R discs that have just raw video files on them. To play videos, you may need to create an actual DVD mastered disc. The kind of disc that has a main menu and play buttons when you start the
    disc - think of how purchased DVD Movie discs work.

The big problem with converting a bunch of MP4's to true DVD master is that DVD mastered discs are not HD, so you'll massively degrade the picture quality.

It could also be the discs. While DVD-R is pretty popular, DVD+R discs are also available. I doubt this makes much of a difference though.

The best way to play video content on your Xbox One is via a USB Flash drive. Not only will this 'just work', you save wear and tear on your console's optical drive.
Thema:

Xbox 360 S disc drive problem - menu says "Play Game" or "Play DVD" when disc is inserted...

1. Xbox 360 S disc drive problem - menu says "Play Game" or "Play DVD" when disc is inserted... - Similar Threads - 360 disc drive

2. why will my xbox 360 disc drive open when sideway's but will not open when upright

in XBoX on Windows
    why will my xbox 360 disc drive open when sideway's but will not open when upright: My xbox 360 disc drive sometimes get's stuck when upright and does not when sideways. Also when I leave a disc inside my xbox disc drive does not get stuck. Does anyone have any idea why this...
  3. 360 disc drive wont read games

in XBoX on Consoles
    360 disc drive wont read games: The 36 console start to have issue that effect gaming experience. I looked into the 360 and I wasn’t the only one. I learned that the 360 had the infamous red ring and was very faults machine. A...
  4. XBOX 360 Disc Drive Won't Read Discs

in XBoX Games and Apps
    XBOX 360 Disc Drive Won't Read Discs: My brother and I were given an XBOX 360 for Christmas about 4 years ago. Its the original console. I think it was bought refurbished. About a year after playing on it, we bought the Minecraft disc...
  5. XBOX 360 Boots without disc drive connected

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX 360 Boots without disc drive connected: Took apart a 360 with E-64 issue. Really clean virgin unit (stickers were still in place). Yet getting E-64 which points me to disc drive. Had another set of the power cords - no joy (still E-64)....
  6. Xbox 360 S Disc Drive Loud Noise

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 S Disc Drive Loud Noise: I purchased an Xbox 360 S and recently have noticed when I play the following games: Tony Hawk’s Underground 2, Madden 13, and Halo Reach, the drive gets louder and i can hear what sounds like...
  7. XBOX 360 disc drive laser (open tray error)

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX 360 disc drive laser (open tray error): My xbox 360's disc drive laser seems to barely be moving even with all the fixes i tried. It first moves close to the center of the disc then stays there and moves just ever so slightly. The disc...
  8. Issues with xbox 360 disc drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Issues with xbox 360 disc drive: So me and my brother were trying to figure out what was wrong with our xbox 360 disc drive, because it took multiple attempts to get it to read discs and we had to beat it up to finally get it...
  9. xbox 360 slim disc drive opens automatically

in XBoX on Consoles
    xbox 360 slim disc drive opens automatically: Hello maybe someone here on this blog have an idea what i can do, besides from going to an hardware store please :) so my xbox 360 slim turns on normally then the green lights flash continuously...
  10. Xbox 360 cannot read disc after saving my game to a usb flash drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 cannot read disc after saving my game to a usb flash drive: Hi all, I can play my game call of duty black ops 2 when nothing is downloaded, but when I sign in and download, my disc is unreadable. I have the halo 3 special edition xbox 360 that I got from...