Xbox 360 controller won't work after starting a game PC

Discus and support Xbox 360 controller won't work after starting a game PC in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I had this controller for a long while, untill recently a few weeks ago i started having this issue. Everytime i start a game, the controller won't... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Isidoro Auba, Jul 1, 2022.

1. Isidoro Auba
    Isidoro Auba Guest

I had this controller for a long while, untill recently a few weeks ago i started having this issue.

Everytime i start a game, the controller won't budge at all or it will stop working after a few minutes. when it dies, it'll still show as connected, with the green light on player 1 and it's recognized by the PC, steam's big picture rumble test will also trigger the controller's vibration, but unless i unplug and plug the controller again it wont work.

I have tried everything:

unplugging, changing USB port, uninstalling drivers, unchecking battery optimization, installing other drivers, restoring my PC, etc.

When i plug alternative xbox controllers they work perfectly, and when plugging the real xbox controller on another PC it won't have issues at all.

i know there are many with the same question out there, but none of the answers have solved the issue. i apologize if this question has been already answered beffore, but i'm desperate to save this expensive controller.

thank you in advance!

----- spanish

He tenido este control desde hace tiempo, y hace unas semanas comenzó con este problema.

Al iniciar un juego, el control dejará de responder luego de unos minutos. aún así, aparece como conectado y es reconocido por el PC, incluso Steam big picture logra reconocerlo y hace vibrar el control.

ya he intentado desconectarlo, cambiar el puerto usb, desinstalar los drivers, quitar la optimización de bateria, instalar otros drivers, restaurar el PC, etc.

Los controles alternativos no me dan problema, y al conectar el control a otro computador funciona sin problemas

espero puedan ayudarme, muchas gracias!

:)

Isidoro Auba, Jul 1, 2022
  2. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Hi and thanks for reaching Microsoft Xbox gamer's community. My name is Josef.

I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft Xbox user like you.

Hope you're doing great today Isidoro

This applies for all games from Steam?

Did you tried using xinput to force xbox 360 controller use?

Usually with newer games (since launch of Xbox One controllers) this controller is not being recognized due to developers didn't release an official support for it.

But if you don't mind I'm thinking couple options more apart from the xinput thing:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedeta...

1. Try uninstalling the most recent windows update, just in case it is the one that is causing conflicts

2. If you're on Windows 11, downgrade to 10 and try again. Or do the opposite case if you're able to upgrade to 11.

For these 2 options in the link below you're able to follow necessary steps:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/rec...

**About steam community thread: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.
  3. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox 360 controller for xbox 360 now recognized as a controller for windows and doesn't work in xbox anymore

Hi,

Not sure what's happened here but the problem is either with the controller hardware itself or the Xbox 360. The 360 controllers can be used on both interchangeably. It won't become a 'Windows 360 controller' after you use on a PC. I have an old 360 that I fire up every now and again, my controller works on both my PC and my 360.
  4. Obsessive Power Win User

Is there a drivers download for wireless Xbox 360 controller to PC windows 10

Hi,

There aren't any drivers to download for Windows 10 as the drivers for Xbox 360 controllers are already built into the OS.

The Xbox 360 controller uses its own type of wireless protocol, it's not Bluetooth and so it can't be connected to a PC directly without additional hardware. It needs an Xbox 360 wireless gaming receiver for use on a PC. This receiver needs to be specifically for Xbox 360 controllers. The receivers for the Xbox One controllers won't work either.
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

Give Me Powerful $600 NextGenXbox

[quote user="MayhemsShadow"]

well, to answer your question, voteDC, most pc games use the keyboard as well as a controller, and i'm not a big fan of that. [/quote]

That's not strictly true. Most PC games that have controller support will work with the controller only if you so wish, especially if the game fully supports the Xbox 360 controller. Quite a few of EA's racing games support the Xbox 360 controller. I've
    been playing Need For Speed Hot Pursuit with my Xbox 360 controller, no need to use the keyboard and mouse with that game at all.

Other PC games I've been playing recently with full Xbox 360 controller support include:

Fallout 3

Fallout New Vegas

Mafia II

Tomb Raider Anniversary

GTA IV

Resident Evil 5

Bioshock

Test Drive Unlimited II

I've only just started to play PC games again after I built a new gaming PC last week. Those are just the games I've played with an Xbox 360 pad so far, there are loads more.
  6. VastEwe968751 Win User

No official 360 controller support?

Hmmm, that's interesting, I just read the following on gametrailers.com

---

Can I use an Xbox 360 controller for Halo: Spartan Assault?

Yes, although use of the Xbox 360 controller is limited to the Windows 8 PC version of the game. This control method won't be available immediately at launch, however. Until 360 controller functionality is patched in a couple of weeks after launch, PC players
    will need to use a keyboard and mouse.

---

What a shame there's no demo so we can test the game with our hardware first.

Also, if and when 360 controller support is added, how will we know?

Hopefully it will be clearly displayed on the store page, because I won't be buying it until I'm sure... That said, once the game has full 360 pad support, I'll buy it immediately.

Looking forward to it.
Thema:

1. Xbox 360 controller won't work after starting a game PC - Similar Threads - 360 controller won't

2. how do i play pc games with xbox 360 controller

in XBoX on Consoles
    how do i play pc games with xbox 360 controller: how do i play pc games with xbox 360 controller eff96eac-d791-4d15-bf0a-44991cf03387
  3. Xbox app not recognizing my xbox 360 controller (wireless) but I've been playing games with it?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox app not recognizing my xbox 360 controller (wireless) but I've been playing games with it?: My PC is on windows 11. I have my Xbox 360 controller connected via the 'Xbox 360 wireless receiver for windows' the controller works fine for all games, I have just completed the Halo Master...
  4. My wired Xbox 360 controller isn't recognized by Windows anymore.

in XBoX on Consoles
    My wired Xbox 360 controller isn't recognized by Windows anymore.: I have a wired Xbox 360 controller and Windows 11. When I plug in the controller it says "USB device not recognized. The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows...
  5. What are the keys for USB keyboards to Xbox 360 controls. (I'm using a USB keyboard on my...

in XBoX Accessibility
    What are the keys for USB keyboards to Xbox 360 controls. (I'm using a USB keyboard on my...: So, I have an Xbox 360 and since I don't have a controller, I'm using an external USB keyboard. I'm not trying to use it for games, I'm trying to use it to enter my passcode and stuff. So do any...
  6. Which controllers can I use on my Xbox 360?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Which controllers can I use on my Xbox 360?: I would like to know if it's possible to use newer Xbox controllers on an Xbox 360 (cabled or not), and I'm talking about: Xbox One Wireless controller Xbox One (Bluetooth) controller (rev 1,2)...
  7. Xbox 360 wireless controller not detected by windows after reconnecting it

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 wireless controller not detected by windows after reconnecting it: So this is a minor problem but it still bothers me because it's so weird. When I boot up windows, while my controller is connected to the wireless dongle, it shows up just fine under "game...
  8. Xbox 360 Wireless receiver detected as a xbox 360 controller (Windows 10)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 Wireless receiver detected as a xbox 360 controller (Windows 10): Whenever i plug in my Xbox wireless receiver/adapter to my computer, in the Device manager it gets detected as a controller and not an adapter. Ive tried updating the drivers but it doesn't work.i...
  9. Why can I not sync 2 identical controllers to my 360?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why can I not sync 2 identical controllers to my 360?: I bought 2 new controllers for my 360, they are identical. I can sync them to my console one at a time but can not synce them both. One will sync and the other continues to search. I shut the...
  10. Xbox 360 controller won't sync to console

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 controller won't sync to console: Hi, I'm having issues with my Xbox 360. The controller doesn'tseem to want to connect to the console for some reason. I can turn on the console with the controller but it won't actually connect. I...