X-box complete newbie

Discus and support X-box complete newbie in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi I have crumbled under pressure from my children and am planning to buy them an x-box s for Christmas. They will be sharing it, so I have figured... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by AnnaDenny1, Nov 7, 2021.

1. AnnaDenny1
    AnnaDenny1 Guest

X-box complete newbie

Hi

I have crumbled under pressure from my children and am planning to buy them an x-box s for Christmas. They will be sharing it, so I have figured out that I need to buy and extra controller.,Beyond that am clueless. Hoping to find out what is the minimum I need to do so that it'll be playable as soon as they get it on Christmas Day. Explain it like you would to a 5-year old!

Thanks

Anna

:)

AnnaDenny1, Nov 7, 2021
  2. HomegrownSilky Win User

X-box complete newbie

You say that you want to get them an Xbox S for christmas. Just know that there are different consoles that you might be referring to.

There is the Xbox One S which is the prior generation of console. Xbox One S

There is also the newest generation of console. The Xbox Series S This newer one does not have a disc drive so it can only play games that are downloaded to it. It cannot play games from discs.
  3. DarinaMarkova Win User

X-box complete newbie

Hello Anna,

When you're buying a new console for children, it's a good practice to make sure you research the games they will play on it beforehand. Since the kids will be sharing the console, you can use the keyword "xbox games for 2 players" for your research (here's a good list to get started with) - you'll get a list of the best games which can be played simultaneously by two players on Xbox. However, you should be aware that most of those games are not suitable for younger players because they're too violent. Minecraft is an obvious choice, of course - you can't go wrong with the 3D sandbox played by millions of children and adults all over the world. Also, I recommend you check out a pirate game that's super fun and appropriate for children - it's called Sea of Thieves. It's a beautiful game which can be played by two people simultaneously on one Xbox and it has a player base of more than 15 million registered players.
  4. Christopher Revoredo Win User

X-box complete newbie

Thank you and welcome to the Xbox Community!
  5. Christopher Revoredo Win User

X-box complete newbie

Hi there Anna welcome to the community forum! Christopher here, an Xbox fan just like you and has been on Xbox for years already. I would really love to make your day by helping you out. First, as you said you will need a second controller for them to play. Secondly, they will need Microsoft accounts so be sure to create two accounts, one for each one. Then as an advise I recommend buying a Gamepass subscription, that way they will have a pretty big catalogue of games to choose from! https://www.xbox.com/xbox-game-pass

You can buy games physically or digitally! They will be able to share the games without any issues!
  6. WPAK Win User

X-box complete newbie

Hi there,

I'll try my best to explain some steps to prepare the console for use.

As a first thing to get a good overview on the steps is to see this video (created by Xbox Support) it's an older video so things might not look exactly the same, but it does cover the basic steps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0oXb7T6TQY

Accounts:

Since the children will be sharing the console it is best to have separate accounts for every child, also keep in mind that a child account will need a parent account, the parent account can control what a child account can play and how long etc.

So you will need an account for each child and one for yourself as the parent. Each account will be a Microsoft Account. These accounts can be set up via the console or via the web. Steps on how to create a Xbox Account can be found here:

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/account-profile/manage-account/create-an-xbox-account

When child accounts are present then these are managed by an adult account via a 'Family group'. More information on that can be found here:

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/for-everyone/responsible-gaming

Console:

When the console us used for the first time it will require an update, downloading and installing the update can take some time, this will be depending on your internet speed and console type (Xbox Series S|X consoles install updates fairly quickly compared Xbox One consoles)

During setup accounts can be added, but can also be added at a later stage.

Games:

Each game needs to be installed, any digital games need to be downloaded, be aware that games can be quite big so downloading a game can take quite some time depending on the download speed. (Keep in mind that some consoles are digital only, they don't have a disc drive)

I can understand it can be quite overwhelming, the most important part in my opinion will be the accounts setup.

If you yourself or the children already have a Microsoft Account (for example via outlook) then that can be used as basis for the Xbox Account. Keep in mind that the date of birth on an account will determine if an account is an Child account, only child accounts can be controlled by a parental account. Keep any security details (email, password etc) of an account safe, since you may need it again in future.

When the accounts (and family group) are setup then the rest usually is the 'easy' part.

If you have any additional questions then feel free to reach out.
Thema:

X-box complete newbie

1. X-box complete newbie - Similar Threads - box complete newbie

2. X box cloud or install wont load Conan exiles for 2 days….any help or input greatly appreciated

in XBoX on Consoles
    X box cloud or install wont load Conan exiles for 2 days….any help or input greatly appreciated: Conan exiles wont work via game pass install or via cloud gaming. When on the cloud it will load and go to olay then says player disconnected. The cloud wont let me play conan for over 2 days now....
  3. Will there be a X box Series X Pro with upgraded Hardware and performance?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Will there be a X box Series X Pro with upgraded Hardware and performance?: I’m sure you are aware of some of the social media outrage over the new speculated X Box. As someone who is planning to join the X Box community soon I am sort of disappointed in the leaks. This...
  4. X-Box Series S Cannot connect to internet in china

in XBoX on Consoles
    X-Box Series S Cannot connect to internet in china: Hi, I live in mainland china and just brought a Xbox series s over from Australia and it doesn’t connect to the internet. Because of this I can’t play any online games update games or get new...
  5. On my X Box Series S console, Microsoft Flight Simulator is not working

in XBoX on Consoles
    On my X Box Series S console, Microsoft Flight Simulator is not working: It says I am offline when the consol says I am connected to my internet 023098d0-763f-4e77-ac2e-1c121c25b063
  6. Im not able to login on the x box or Microsoft.Com i e been hacked, my game tag since bc is...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Im not able to login on the x box or Microsoft.Com i e been hacked, my game tag since bc is...: Im not able to login on the x box or Microsoft.Com i e been hacked, my game Name since the start is Xaywer, dont get it....... Pls tips 0fc9e936-32dd-42f6-83ee-579d1c03e71e
  7. X Box Series WiFi Issue

in XBoX on Consoles
    X Box Series WiFi Issue: Hello my guy has a X Box Series X and he's having to connect to WiFi almost everytime he cuts it on then most times it doesn't automatically connect and it makes us restart our router then it...
  8. X box series s disconnects from wifi every time i turn it off and on, what can i do to fix it?

in XBoX on Consoles
    X box series s disconnects from wifi every time i turn it off and on, what can i do to fix it?: My xbox keeps on disconnecting every time i log in to play, and when i try to reconnect it to WiFi, it takes up to 30 tries to be successful, is really stressful having to type the password 30...
  9. Removing the X-box taskbar button

in XBoX on Windows
    Removing the X-box taskbar button: Every day I hate Microsoft more and more because of this forced taskbar button, no matter how much I try to remove it it just keeps popping up. I don't even use it and I can't even uninstall it...
  10. X box one password recovery completely stuck

in XBoX Accessibility
    X box one password recovery completely stuck: Please can someone help We have an xbox one that we have had for years it permanently logged in as my son has special needs and would struggle to type a password in. So when you turn on the...