Wired Connection Not connecting

Discus and support Wired Connection Not connecting in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; For quite a while i have been using wireless to connect to my router and then XBL, the wireless where my xbox is however often drops connection so i... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by ShadowScorpion7, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Wired Connection Not connecting

For quite a while i have been using wireless to connect to my router and then XBL, the wireless where my xbox is however often drops connection so i moved onto getting an Ethernet cable for wired. Since our modem is also a router it was plugged directly
    into there, first problems were that the ethernet cable was connecting to the modem, but not the internet. Not too far long after (i don't think i changed any settings) the Cable stopped connecting to the router saying that it was unable to be provided with
    an IP Address. I've already tryed most things but still does not even connect to modem.

Not sure if i have to put this, but i will anyways.

What Country/State/Province do you live in? Canada, Ontatio

Modem brand & model number: Hitron Technologies, CGN2-ROG

Router brand & model number: Built into modem

If Wireless, are you using a white or black external adapter, or an internal (Xbox 360S) adapter? Wireless worked with white external adapter

Things you have tried: Manual settings automatic settings, Restarting router plugging ethernet directly into modem ( currently is) changing ethernet cables

Is UPnP Enabled? Yes/no/Unknown: Yes

Do you have a NAT error? If so, what is your NAT type?

Any Error Codes you encounter: Unknown

Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? Rogers

After you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" press “Y” for "More Info”. In the pop-up that appears, what are the following values, if shown? (If a value below does not appear for you, just leave it blank.)

W: 0000- 000D

X: 4000 - 1001

Y: 0000 - 0000

Z:0000 - 0000

ID: FFFF - FFFF

L: 8015 - 1901

Q: 8007 - 0435

T: Wired

A: 169.254.219 / 255.255.0.0

G: 0.0.0.0

D: 0.0.0.0 / 0.0.0.0

These last three are constantly changing from 0's to other numbers (on automatic)

:)

ShadowScorpion7, Jan 6, 2014
  2. DarkShadow3
    DarkShadow3 Guest
    Anyone having problems connecting to COD:AW multiplayer?

Looks like it was my wireless router maybe? I use a wired connection through my router but I was experiencing 100% packet loss through it according to Xbox multiplayer connection test. I connected through wireless and now it works with only 1% packet loss. Does this mean I need a new router even if the wireless works and wired connection doesn't? Every other game works fine online when my Xbox is wired. Just a CODAW issue.

DarkShadow3, Jan 6, 2014
  3. NDWest14
    NDWest14 Guest
    Dedicated servers? Then why the lag and connection advantages?

Solution #1 for anyones lag....

Just buy an ethernet cable and wire it. They're cheap as hell on amazon, every little "i can't connect is is my problem" type of question is solved.

Nothing is better than a wired connection.

NDWest14, Jan 6, 2014
  4. Tr0llChief
    Tr0llChief Guest

Maybe I can guess what problem you have been encountered with. Is your internet provider uses VPN (Dial to connect) services? If so, you CAN'T connect to Xbox Live with wired ethernet connection because Xbox 360 do NOT compatible with local VPN services.
    I have that problem too. Problem was solved by using wireless connection.

Tr0llChief, Jan 7, 2014
  5. Sadly that's not the problem, my ISP isn't Dial to connect =\ strange since other wifi devices in my house are able to connect through ethernet cables and how much the xbox is able to connect varies. Sometimes it connects to the router but not the internet,
    and more recently not connecting to the router at all due to being unable to be given an IP.

ShadowScorpion7, Jan 7, 2014
  6. Auswulf
    Auswulf Guest
    Is all of your network settings set to automatic on the Xbox? Give that a try.

Auswulf, Jan 7, 2014
  7. Yup tried having it in both automatic (numbers are constantly changing when in automatic) and also tried putting it in manual nothing is working yet =(

ShadowScorpion7, Jan 8, 2014
  8. Wired Connection Not connecting

This may be presumptuous of me but did you try switching which port it was connected to on the back of your router/modem?

Is there a check mark next to "Wired Connection" in the network test screen?

Is the Cat5 in good shape itself?

VisageOfAnAngel, Jan 8, 2014
  9. yup tried switching the port, checkmark is there and cat 5 is brand new

ShadowScorpion7, Jan 8, 2014
  10. Try plugging the cable from the router to a PC or your laptop. If that connects I'm clueless... manually assigning the IP address should work as long as you got the gateway and DNS servers right... unless as I said earlier the NIC on the console is going
    out.

VisageOfAnAngel, Jan 8, 2014
  11. Sadly im not able to connect it to a computer since i have no computers around =\

ShadowScorpion7, Jan 9, 2014
  12. Arminator
    Arminator Guest
    [quote user="ShadowScorpion7"]

[/quote]

This usually happens, whenever the Xbox is unable to get an IP address from your router.

The 169.254.XXX.YYY adresses are auto assigned by the console itself, if it can't find a DHCP server. Sice you said your WLAN worked fine, I guess DHCP was working properly before, which leads me to believe that either the network port of the console or
    router are faulty, or the cable itself.

If you say the last three are constantly changing from 0 to other numbers, it means that in these times, the console could properly get an IP Address for the Gateway (G) and DNS Servers (D). This should however also change the "A" adresses.

Therefore my guesstimate could also be, that the cable you got is either of low quality, and outside noise interferes with the cable, or it is faulty with a bad contact. Or maybe the bad contact is in the ports of your router or console itself.

So if possible, can you bring the console to a friend with a different router or modem, and try it with your cable if that works? Maybe have your friend try a different cable that he is sure that it works?

The issue seems to be "inside" your network, as the console doesn't get a proper address to get "outside" to the Internet and Live in the first place.

Arminator, Jan 10, 2014
  13. Wired Connection Not connecting

Thanks Arm ill be sure to try that out to see if it works

ShadowScorpion7, Oct 31, 2018
  14. ShadowScorpion7 Win User

Yup tried having it in both automatic (numbers are constantly changing when in automatic) and also tried putting it in manual nothing is working yet =(
  15. Tr0llChief Win User

Maybe I can guess what problem you have been encountered with. Is your internet provider uses VPN (Dial to connect) services? If so, you CAN'T connect to Xbox Live with wired ethernet connection because Xbox 360 do NOT compatible with local VPN services.
    I have that problem too. Problem was solved by using wireless connection.
  16. ShadowScorpion7 Win User

yup tried switching the port, checkmark is there and cat 5 is brand new
  17. VisageOfAnAngel Win User

This may be presumptuous of me but did you try switching which port it was connected to on the back of your router/modem?

Is there a check mark next to "Wired Connection" in the network test screen?

Is the Cat5 in good shape itself?
  18. Arminator Win User

[quote user="ShadowScorpion7"]

[/quote]

This usually happens, whenever the Xbox is unable to get an IP address from your router.

The 169.254.XXX.YYY adresses are auto assigned by the console itself, if it can't find a DHCP server. Sice you said your WLAN worked fine, I guess DHCP was working properly before, which leads me to believe that either the network port of the console or
    router are faulty, or the cable itself.

If you say the last three are constantly changing from 0 to other numbers, it means that in these times, the console could properly get an IP Address for the Gateway (G) and DNS Servers (D). This should however also change the "A" adresses.

Therefore my guesstimate could also be, that the cable you got is either of low quality, and outside noise interferes with the cable, or it is faulty with a bad contact. Or maybe the bad contact is in the ports of your router or console itself.

So if possible, can you bring the console to a friend with a different router or modem, and try it with your cable if that works? Maybe have your friend try a different cable that he is sure that it works?

The issue seems to be "inside" your network, as the console doesn't get a proper address to get "outside" to the Internet and Live in the first place.
Thema:

1. Wired Connection Not connecting - Similar Threads - Wired Connection connecting

2. Wireless and wired connections fail on Xbox (Series X/S)

in XboX Insiders
    Wireless and wired connections fail on Xbox (Series X/S): About 6 months ago, my Xbox became unable to connect to the internet wirelessly. I’ve been using an Ethernet cable to connect the Xbox to the internet since then. Today, my Xbox lost connection in...
  3. Why isn't my headest connecting to my Xbox via wireless and wire

in XBoX on Windows
    Why isn't my headest connecting to my Xbox via wireless and wire: I have an Xbox series s and captian 4000 headset and they won't connect when I try either method in the manual. I looked at the website and didn't find any help 9350bd46-4486-4548-b876-4ec72cd1bde3
  4. How do I connect a Xbox 1 (Wired) to Windows Vista?

in XBoX on Windows
    How do I connect a Xbox 1 (Wired) to Windows Vista?: I've tried many links, but they don't work, and the videos that I watched told me to install a driver to get it to work, If you have any working links please tell me!...
  5. Xbox accessories app won't detect wired connection on my elite series 2 controller when it...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox accessories app won't detect wired connection on my elite series 2 controller when it...: I cannot use the accessories app for my elite series 2 controller on PC. Says use wired connection but it's already plugged in how do I fix this db14f4d0-0b14-4148-a926-845124931b8c
  6. Wired connection issue on Xbox X

in XBoX on Consoles
    Wired connection issue on Xbox X: Hi. My Xbox x is showing a wired connection plugged in. There is no wire connection as I only use wifi. Xbox stuck on check wired connection. This happened after a power failure in the...
  7. My Xbox Controller won't appear in the bluethooth tab, but it will connect via wire.

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox Controller won't appear in the bluethooth tab, but it will connect via wire.: I've been trying to connect my Xbox controller to my pc via bluethooth but it won't appear in the bluethooth area, I tried updating the drivers, updating the controller through the Xbox...
  8. Original Xbox one (2014) internet issues even with wired connection

in XBoX on Consoles
    Original Xbox one (2014) internet issues even with wired connection: I have had this Xbox one since 2014 and recently (last few months) have experienced some issues with its internet. I have exclusively used it with a wired, ethernet connection and have been having...
  9. Xbox states theres a wired connection, but no cable connected.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox states theres a wired connection, but no cable connected.: Hi, My Xbox recently has been playing up and continues to state network connected via cable, but I've always used wireless. I have done a soft and hard reboot, this didn't work. I also...
  10. does the Logitech h304 headset (wired usb) connect to xbox one

in XBoX on Consoles
    does the Logitech h304 headset (wired usb) connect to xbox one: does the Logitech h304 headset (wired usb) connect to xbox one 8651d522-0d08-4052-844b-2c460752a254