Windows keeps creating folders from Xbox App

Discus and support Windows keeps creating folders from Xbox App in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; Hello Microsoft Team, I used to install my Xbox games in my D:\ drive. Now I reinstalled my games in my C:\ drive and want to use my D:\ drive as a... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by Miss. Silver, May 9, 2024.

1. Miss. Silver
    Miss. Silver Guest

Hello Microsoft Team,

I used to install my Xbox games in my D:\ drive.

Now I reinstalled my games in my C:\ drive and want to use my D:\ drive as

a simple data storage. Unfortunately, Windows keeps creating two folders on that drive:

"D:\program files" and "D:\xboxGames". I checked the app settings within Windows and I can

not find any case why it keep doing this. I can delete the folders, but Windows recreate them after restart/shutdown.

PS D:\> tree

Folder PATH listing for volume DATA

Volume serial number is ----:----

D:.

├───Program Files

│ └───ModifiableWindowsApps

└───XboxGames

PS D:\>

All my Microsoft store, Xbox App option - Game installation option assign to drive is C:

Windows keeps creating folders from Xbox App [​IMG]

xbox

Windows keeps creating folders from Xbox App [​IMG]

Any ideas how to avoid that?

:)

Miss. Silver, May 9, 2024
  2. SwordofWhedon Win User

because those are the default folders if you want to have Xbox games on your system. these are folders the games are looking for and will be created if you want to have Xbox games on this drive

If you click change folder, you can assign a new one
  3. kyle_m4496 Win User

After reinstalling Windows drive, I need to reinstall all of my Xbox APP games.

Hi ArneDH001. My name is Kyle and I'm an independent advisor.

The folder created for Xbox Games and Windows Apps is specific to your Windows installation. So if you reinstall Windows, I'm afraid you need to delete the folders from the secondary drive, or format the drive entirely.

Thanks,
    Kyle
  4. Farscape247 Win User

DIRT 5 not letting me play.

most if not all windows/xbox app games install to windowsapp folder, this is encrypted, if you took ownership or messed with the files then you have broken the encryption and will need to delete the folders and redownload the game. you can't just move windows games into different folders, you can move them to another drive via the apps and programs menu but they have to reside in the windows app folder that is created by the system.
  5. Farscape247 Win User

Windows not detecting games on External HDD

resetting windows or re installing renders all xbox app games inoperable as the folder is encrypted to that one install of windows.

you have to re download all the xbox app games again.

go setting, storage, location and change it to that drive this should then state there is a folder there and it will be removed.

if not google remove windows app folder from drive as you have to take ownership to remove it.
  6. Obsessive Power Win User

New OS disk with Games installed on DATA drive and XBOX App cant see them

In this example, the external drive is D:\

Nearly all Windows Apps and games are installed to a protected and encrypted folder called WindowsApps.

If you've taken your D:\ drive from either another PC or you have installed Windows 10 again from scratch, your previous WindowsApps folder will no longer be accessible and Windows 10 will not be able to access or install Windows Store Apps and games to this drive. To use this drive for Windows Store games and apps, it will need to be deleted.

Please follow this guide to help you delete your current WindowsApps folder. Once done you will also need to the delete two additional folders called 'WpSystem' and 'WUDownloadCache'. These folders are not protected so should easily be removed.

Once your old folder is deleted you should be able to change the drive Apps are installed to in Windows 10 to the D: drive. Doing this will create a new WindowsApps folder on your drive.

Please let us know how you get on.
Thema:

1. Windows keeps creating folders from Xbox App - Similar Threads - Windows keeps creating

2. On Windows 11, how can I fix the problem, that my Xbox One controller keeps ceasing to...

in XBoX on Consoles
    On Windows 11, how can I fix the problem, that my Xbox One controller keeps ceasing to...: I am using Windows 11 and an Xbox One controller. For a few weeks now, I have had the problem, that the controller would stop being recognized by the system. The symptoms of that are Controller...
  3. Why does my Window 11 Bluetooth on PC keep saying failed to connect to my Xbox Elite...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Window 11 Bluetooth on PC keep saying failed to connect to my Xbox Elite...: Hello, I recently made the switch from Xbox Series X to PC gaming. I bought a very nice PC that runs flawlessly with windows 11 installed. I am only having one problem and that it connecting my...
  4. One of my windows store games keeps dissapearing

in XBoX Games and Apps
    One of my windows store games keeps dissapearing: One of my games (Ark survival evolved) wich I downloaded from the windows store keeps dissapearing, and by dissapearing I mean it doesn't apear in my library, and when i search for it in the...
  5. Windows 11 Xbox App keeps signing me into wrong account no matter what I do

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Windows 11 Xbox App keeps signing me into wrong account no matter what I do: Every time I launch the xbox app it signs me into the wrong account. When I press sign out it automatically signs in again to the wrong account. There is nothing I can do. I have reset the store...
  6. Microsoft edge keeps refreshing every time i change the window

in XboX Insiders
    Microsoft edge keeps refreshing every time i change the window: Guys idk why every time i change the window on microsoft edge it keeps refreshing and restarting mainly instagram and discord, is there any tips to solve this or its natural?! Thank you submitted...
  7. Why does me Xbox controller keep blinking when plugged into my windows 10 computer

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does me Xbox controller keep blinking when plugged into my windows 10 computer: Hello, Whenever I try to USB connect my controller to my computer it always flashes, it also vibrates but when I go to see if its connected its not, I have tried many solutions to try and fix my...
  8. Gears of War Ultimate Edition on Windows 10 - Taskbar Keeps Appearing

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Gears of War Ultimate Edition on Windows 10 - Taskbar Keeps Appearing: The game is in full screen but the taskbar keeps appearing when I move the mouse to the lower part of the screen and clicking to shoot sometimes clicks on apps. I can't defeat the Locust by...
  9. My cursor keeps going off-screen whenever i play minecraft windows 10 edition

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My cursor keeps going off-screen whenever i play minecraft windows 10 edition: I bought a brand new laptop about 2 months ago and I installed Minecraft windows 10 I tried playing and my cursor kept going off screen and if I clicked while it was off screen it would pause my...
  10. Microsoft keeps asking me to enter a Windows Hello PIN I have never set up.

in XBoX Accessibility
    Microsoft keeps asking me to enter a Windows Hello PIN I have never set up.: So I downloaded the Minecraft launcher from the Microsoft Store and when I wanted to log in with Microsoft there it would ask me for a windows hello pin that I never set up. The account i wanted...