Windows 11 microphone quality in Discord in games / sometimes not working at all

Discus and support Windows 11 microphone quality in Discord in games / sometimes not working at all in XBoX Rewards & Social to solve the problem; I have experienced an issue with microphone quality on Discord when playing games. My friends report that my microphone quality is terrible (robotic... Discussion in 'XBoX Rewards & Social' started by Cameron Stephens1, Nov 13, 2022.

1. Windows 11 microphone quality in Discord in games / sometimes not working at all

I have experienced an issue with microphone quality on Discord when playing games. My friends report that my microphone quality is terrible (robotic sounding) when we play games, but the moment I alt-tab out of the game the microphone quality returns to normal. It happens with multiple games so it's not a specific game that causes this. I have also checked if my microphone sounds normal outside of Discord and it does sound fine. I have found and done every step found in this post 11 microphone quality in Discord in games - Microsoft Community Yet the problem persists. Is there anything else that could possibly fix this problem?

:)

Cameron Stephens1, Nov 13, 2022
  2. SammyVS Win User

Xbox One Controller 3.5mm Mic doesn't work on Windows 10

I'm Samy an independent advisor. Welcome to the Xbox community. How are you?

In Windows Sound Settings and Discord Voice Settings, have you selected Headset Microphone to be the default input?

I tested it with my controller on Windows 11 but connected with a cable and it worked perfectly.
  3. skylaar Win User

Xbox chat on PC

I don't know if it is related but I had a similar issue where my microphone was working in Discord for a few seconds then would stop. I ended up going to the Settings --> Privacy --> Microphone and view the apps that are allowed to use the microphone.
    Xbox Game Bar is unchecked by default I think.

Also, if you have another program open that can use the microphone it will possibly override other programs. For example, The Division 2 game will make Discord no longer work if I turn the in game audio on to my main microphone.
  4. Yankee127 Win User

Windows 10 Microphone Quality Severely Degraded in Discord when in Game

Josef,

It looks like a Windows update happened around the time that this happened. Approximately 5 days before I first noticed it. I will see if I can replicate the issue in a third party app tomorrow. I only have the one headset to try. I do have a webcam with a mic that I can see if it replicates with. I will attempt the other options (A thru C) tomorrow as well.
  5. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Hi Yankee

Please let me know how it goes with each option in that case
    I’ll be waiting for your feedback

For now, take care!
  6. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Hi and thanks for reaching Microsoft Xbox gamer's community. My name is Josef.
    I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft Xbox user like you.

Hope you're doing great today despite this Yankee127

Exists the possibility that Discord and not windows is causing the issue.
    But let’s try to cover everything from the Windows side, for this please tell me:

Do you know if Windows received an update before this started to happen?
    Did you tried using a different party chat app to see how it goes? (Party chat via game bar, Skype, zoom, Google meet, etc)
    Did you tried using a completely different microphone / headset? (Or a wired headset)

In the meantime, try this:

A. Open task manager > select the startup tab > disable all the programs listed there temporarily
    Restart the PC and try again

B. Do a clean boot in your PC and try again
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-t...

C. Create a new local administrator user in your PC and try from there
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/cre...
Thema:

Windows 11 microphone quality in Discord in games / sometimes not working at all

1. Windows 11 microphone quality in Discord in games / sometimes not working at all - Similar Threads - Windows microphone quality

2. Windows 10 Microphone Quality Severely Degraded in Discord when in Game

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Windows 10 Microphone Quality Severely Degraded in Discord when in Game: I have seen a couple other threads that are experiencing similar issues with no resolution. Within the past couple of weeks, I started having an issue where when I am in certain games (WZ2, Red...
  3. Blue Yeti microphone wont work with windows 11 Xbox app party chat

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Blue Yeti microphone wont work with windows 11 Xbox app party chat: My blue yeti microphone worked with windows 10, but not that I am on windows 11, my blue yeti will not work in the xbox app party chat. The microphone works flawlessly in every other application....
  4. XBOX controller headset/microphone/headphones audio devices on windows 10 PC

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX controller headset/microphone/headphones audio devices on windows 10 PC: hi, i'm having issues, with my headset and its microphone when paired to PC. first i noticed when i try to plug my headset directly into the PC, i can only hear sound in my left ear, so i have...
  5. Windows 11 microphone problems

in XBoX on Consoles
    Windows 11 microphone problems: Hello Recently I had to format my m.2 and after formatting I thought it was a good idea to try Win 11. At first it seemed fine but suddenly the microphone of my Steelseries Arctis 5 stopped...
  6. Windows 11 - headset microphone doesnt work through xbox controller in party.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Windows 11 - headset microphone doesnt work through xbox controller in party.: So, I have one of the newer xbox controllers, which I use to speak in an xbox party as I dont have a microphone splitter for my PC. Its been working perfectly fine, up until a few days ago, where...
  7. Xbox Party microphone not working for Windows 10

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox Party microphone not working for Windows 10: For a while now, none of my microphones have been working for Xbox Party. I have used the built-in laptop microphone and two headphones with microphones. I can hear others in the Xbox Party but no...
  8. Xbox Stereo Headset microphone is very quiet on Windows 11

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Stereo Headset microphone is very quiet on Windows 11: Hello! I've just purchased the 20th Anniversary Xbox Stereo Headset, but the volume on the microphone is very quiet on Windows 11. I've tried recording in Audacity aswell as listening to it via...
  9. microphone not working for game bar or Xbox app Windows 11

in XBoX Games and Apps
    microphone not working for game bar or Xbox app Windows 11: I have set the input device to the correct input device, made sure the mic sensitivity is turned up, tried USB and jack connections, tried joining through game bar and Xbox app, tried a headset...
  10. Game DVR Windows 10 Update, Microphone Quality now Poor

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Game DVR Windows 10 Update, Microphone Quality now Poor: Good Afternoon, I'm having problems with the Windows Xbox One App when it was updated with the major windows 10 update last week on my laptop. When I record games using the in game DVR the...