Will changing the passkey of my profile change it for all of my consoles?

Discus and support Will changing the passkey of my profile change it for all of my consoles? in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; So I have a spiteful "friend" who decided to buy a controller on my account on my card without permission. So I changed my passkey to try and make an... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by Chancellor Robinson, Jul 1, 2022.

1. Will changing the passkey of my profile change it for all of my consoles?

So I have a spiteful "friend" who decided to buy a controller on my account on my card without permission. So I changed my passkey to try and make an attempt to make him unable to access my account. Will the passkey change change it on all of the consoles my profile is on?

:)

Chancellor Robinson, Jul 1, 2022
  2. [ A J ] Win User

Hi, Chancellor! thank you for reaching out.

My name is AJ, I'm an Independent Advisor for the Xbox Community.

- There are a couple of issues with using a passkey as the only safety measure to protect your account:

1) After failing to provide the correct passkey three times, the passkey will default to your Microsoft account's password. If someone knows your account's password, they could easily change or remove your passkey.

2) Your account's sign-in & security settings may be set to "No barriers" on their console, which means they don't need to input your passkey to access your account.

- The best way to protect your account is to change your password:

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/account-pro...

This should prevent your friend from signing in to your account again, even if your profile is already on their console.

- I'd also suggest making sure your account's security information is up to date:

https://account.live.com/proofs/manage/additional

I hope this helps!
  3. Frathos Win User

xbox live Gold

It would be advisable to review the Settings - Account - Sign-in, security & passkey section on both consoles for the profile being used to ensure that applicable settings are in place to prevent issues of that profile being used in multiple locations or
    unauthorized purchases. Select Change my sign-in & security preferences and I recommend using Customize to set the specific type of access that you wish to allow/disallow, items to check/adjust for example are:

• Delay automatic sign-in
    • Ask for my passkey at sign-in
    • Ask for my passkey to change settings
    • Ask for my passkey to make purchases (definitely recommended to use Passkey required to avoid unauthorized purchases)

Good luck!
  4. XBF Brad A Win User

Found out how to stream youtube

Hello Scare crow,

Thank you for the comment first of all. You can set up a passkey that will ask for it when your profile goes to make a purchase.

Setting up passkey
    when changing sign in preferences select ask for my passkey.

Thanks,

Brad
  5. SisyphusHush Win User

passkey

Hi there!

I put a passkey on my friend's Xbox, but we have parted on uneasy terms and I'd like to change the Passkey. However, I don't want to have to figure out a way to get on the console, so is there any way to reset or change my passkey remotely?
  6. Frathos Win User

Regarding privacy

Check Settings - Account - Sign in, security & passkey - Instant sign in (your GT should be displayed on this prompt) - Stop using Instant sign-in on your console OR try add a Passkey for sign-in first to see if that works for your needs.

You also have the option of linking a controller to your profile (This controller signs in) which you may want to ensure is set to using a Passkey that only you know.

I recommend that you review the Change my sign-in & security preferences section and ensure that the settings match how you want your console to be used. I recommend the Customize option which allows you to select each of the sub-categories individually.
    For example:

Save your Microsoft account credentials - Credentials saved

Delay automatic sign-in - Don't ask, just sign me in (good if you only use one console, best to use Ask option if you use your profile on more than one console)

Ask for my passkey at sign-in - Passkey required (recommended if you link to controller that others may also use)

Ask for my passkey to change settings - Passkey required (best if you don't want others making changes)

Ask for my passkey to make purchases - Passkey required (best if others also use your console to limit purchases)

Good luck!
Thema:

1. Will changing the passkey of my profile change it for all of my consoles? - Similar Threads - changing passkey profile

2. Home Xbox questions regarding changes.

in XboX Insiders
    Home Xbox questions regarding changes.: Hi all, I have an Xbox series S at my flat (which is currently my home Xbox) and my old Xbox one at my partners place. When I made her an account on my old Xbox it wouldn’t let me play any of the...
  3. isn't it possible to change colors of my keyboard bc of my laptop version?

in XBoX Accessibility
    isn't it possible to change colors of my keyboard bc of my laptop version?: on my asus tuf dash F15 FX517zc laptop i couldn't choose colors for my keyboard bc there isn't any color in it and i couldn't connet my aura creator to it. isn't it possible to change colors of my...
  4. How can you change the "Safety settings for Xbox messages" on the Xbox app on PC?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    How can you change the "Safety settings for Xbox messages" on the Xbox app on PC?: I no longer have an Xbox console. It was damaged when my basement flooded. I have been trying to play Ark: Survival Ascended and noticed that the Xbox app version for PC filters letters, making it...
  5. can i bypass the security info change as i recently installed a new cpu and it corrupted my pin

in XBoX on Windows
    can i bypass the security info change as i recently installed a new cpu and it corrupted my pin: i recently installed a new cpu and had to change my info now i have to wait a month is there a quick fix? 9357e2ba-5488-4496-b3e2-20e2a6446de1
  6. I have an old, old Live account. Like 2002 old. I had to change the gamertag (same account)...

in XBoX Accessibility
    I have an old, old Live account. Like 2002 old. I had to change the gamertag (same account)...: I have an old, old Live account. Like 2002 old. I had to change the gamertag (same account) for reasons I cannot remember, but I would like to change back to the original name. But, when I try,...
  7. changing the wheel or button mapping

in XBoX on Consoles
    changing the wheel or button mapping: I am having issues with my stealth 700 gen 2 headset I can get it to synce fine to both the my series x and my phone but I can not control any volume or 230c3222-84a1-4134-bd89-e766cd4425c2
  8. Xbox home screen (Default) Change idea 2024

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox home screen (Default) Change idea 2024: When it says who's playing today? if its dark outside wouldn't it be better to say who is playing tonight? because if you think about it at night time people might know its today but it sounds...
  9. Why has my HDR stopped working just overnight when nothing has changed?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why has my HDR stopped working just overnight when nothing has changed?: Curious as to why my HDR has seemed to just quit out of nowhere. When starting up any game, the screen washes out and becomes overly dim. Nothing in my TV settings or series x settings has...
  10. my xbox series x starts in 480 × 640 resolution and there is no option to change it

in XBoX on Consoles
    my xbox series x starts in 480 × 640 resolution and there is no option to change it: So my xbox series x starts in 480 × 640 resolution and there is no option to change it out of this resolution only started happening after recent system update I haven't changed anything same tv...