Why Xbox One controllers break so easily

Discus and support Why Xbox One controllers break so easily in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; After having 2 controllers stop working out of the blue (one of which was an Elite which I totally babied), I decided to pop them open and see why they... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by BangPlaysGames, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Why Xbox One controllers break so easily

After having 2 controllers stop working out of the blue (one of which was an Elite which I totally babied), I decided to pop them open and see why they aren't working. I discovered that there are 2 PCBs that are connected by 2 pin headers each. These pin
    headers are connected to the PCBs with surface soldered pins. On both controllers, one side of these pin headers has broken its solder joints and completely disconnected from the PCB. This is a TERRIBLE design.... I get using 2 PCBs for the controller due
    to the shape and placement of parts. That's not the problem. If you're going to use pin headers, spend the extra $0.01 and put the pins through the PCB. Any device that's supposed to be the most mobile portion of a console should not ever use surface soldered
    pins to connect 2 PCBs together. As I mentioned, I have babied my elite controller (only transport in its case, no one else used it, never thrown it, or anything else that could cause damage). This happened just due to the subtle gripping of the controller
    while playing. This also happened only 5 months after purchasing the controller. It's just a bad design that needs to be fixed for a future iteration of the device.

:)

BangPlaysGames, Jul 29, 2016
  2. Rumor: Xbox 720 to Use Touchscreen Controller

People would break touchscreen controllers very easily.......

REPULSIVE TACO, Jul 29, 2016
  3. dlCHIEF58
    dlCHIEF58 Guest
    Why does everything break so easily?

You must be harder on your controllers than you think, as I still have my controllers from a launch 360 (over 8 years old FYI) which still work fine as well as all others I bought later. I have never had a controller break and I game on a nearly daily basis.
    The only thing which has failed were a few of the Play and Charge packs which I neglected to keep charged, which is more the fault of me than the product itself.

dlCHIEF58, Jul 29, 2016
  4. DWoodbine
    DWoodbine Guest

I've had mine since launch and have dropped it so many times on a wooden floor and to my surprise it still works, maybe I've just been lucky.

DWoodbine, Jul 29, 2016
  5. even if the solder joints break, they can still make contact and it can work. But for those who see frequent "disconnects" of their controller, this is likely the cause.

BangPlaysGames, Jul 29, 2016
  6. Azrael008uk
    Azrael008uk Guest
    It would help lend some credibility to your claims if you had actually played a game on the XBox.

Azrael008uk, Jul 29, 2016
  7. Moog and Me
    Moog and Me Guest
    Didn't realize I was signed into that gamer tag. This is my main gamer tag where I play more than just Ark.

Though there are reasons to have the controller and not the actual console which would prevent gaining any gamerscore whatsoever, so there was no need for your snarky response.

Moog and Me, Jul 29, 2016
  8. Why Xbox One controllers break so easily

^ Some of us understand that people have more than one gamertag.

A few on these forums don't understand as much as they like to think they do. lol Why Xbox One controllers break so easily :)

Goth Vampirella, Jul 29, 2016
  9. brandiesel1
    brandiesel1 Guest
    ^^ I'm getting my popcorn. This gone be good.

brandiesel1, Jul 29, 2016
  10. smileskybird
    smileskybird Guest
    I dont believe you mister zero gamerscorer.

smileskybird, Jul 29, 2016
  11. I do, my 1st one had visible wires and needed a screwdriver and some glue to fix, this was straight out of the box in 2013 on day 1.

RedEye Expr3ss, Jul 29, 2016
  12. Burnin TODI
    Burnin TODI Guest
    I think the title of this thread needs these two words added at the end: "for some." Have two controllers from the first months of console release, narry an issue with either of them.

Burnin TODI, Jul 29, 2016
  13. Why Xbox One controllers break so easily

Yeah exactly, only the original day 1 for me. Though same for my day 1 ps4 so that what happens when things are too quick to market.

RedEye Expr3ss, Jul 29, 2016
  14. brandiesel1
    brandiesel1 Guest
    I love the feel of these controllers. The thumbsticks are positioned perfectly. The only problem is the build quality at least for me on my day 1 console controller was really cheap. I was playing Killer Instinct on the first day and it split apart at the
    seems.

brandiesel1, Jul 29, 2016
  15. Elohmn
    Elohmn Guest
    The Xbox One Controllers are a little on the cheap side. I'm on failing number 2 Controller in under 3 years. This current Controller has a Left Stick Drift every now and then and will be replaced soon.

It would be nice if Controllers could be built with a little more quality. I'm not going to sweat it out too much, I went through 5 Controllers on my Xbox 360 in 8 plus years. Having the Controller $10 more is a little lame though.

Elohmn, Jul 29, 2016
Thema:

1. Why Xbox One controllers break so easily - Similar Threads - Why controllers break

2. Why is my controller unresponsive?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is my controller unresponsive?: My Xbox controller randomly stopped working last night.It can turn on and the light stays on still, but none of the buttons etc respond. When I unpaired and tried to pair it to my Xbox again, it...
  3. Why won't the controller stay connected?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why won't the controller stay connected?: I have read all related questions and suggestions. Nothing is a permanent fix and I'd rather not switch systems. If there isn't a fix for this , switching is the I kt option left...
  4. Why can't I place a repair order for my elite controller 2 despite having a warranty

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why can't I place a repair order for my elite controller 2 despite having a warranty: Last week, I sent my Elite Two controller for repair because the buttons started to wear down. However, after getting it back, one of the pads (P2) is unresponsive and requires very hard presses...
  5. Why wont my controller work

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why wont my controller work: My controller worked normally untill today i tryed to turn it on and didnt work the light came on and i tryed to plug it in and it plugged in but still dosnt work , when trying to connect it it...
  6. Why doesn't my controller and wheel/pedals work in Forza 5 anymore.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why doesn't my controller and wheel/pedals work in Forza 5 anymore.: Hi everyone. I really needs some help. I have an Xbox Series X, two hand controllers and one Thrustmaster TMX wheel and pedals. The Xbox and controllers are up to date and so is the driver for...
  7. Why my xbox serie s controller keep flashing when I plug it without battery in the front...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why my xbox serie s controller keep flashing when I plug it without battery in the front...: My xbox serie s controller keep flashing only when I plug it without battery in the front usb port. 33960497-a9b4-4e58-accf-f100bc718934
  8. Why is there a region error when i try to order a controller from Xbox design labs?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why is there a region error when i try to order a controller from Xbox design labs?: So I am trying to order a Fallout controller from the Design Labs page when i encounter an error each time i try to pay for the custom contoller. I says: "region" is required. Enter and try...
  9. Why does the left analog stick always break in these controllers?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does the left analog stick always break in these controllers?: These controllers only seem to last about a month before having to turn up the dead zone to stop them moving. Can’t even control the menus any more. The 360 controllers never did this. Sort it...
  10. Why do my Xbox elite controllers consistently break after 2-4 months of use?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why do my Xbox elite controllers consistently break after 2-4 months of use?: I have owned about 6 Xbox Elite controllers, maybe even more, over the span of 7 years from the first gen to the series two. One thing I find incredibly frustrating is that either the LB or RB or...