Why won't GamePass Ultimate install to Windows Storage Space volume?

Discus and support Why won't GamePass Ultimate install to Windows Storage Space volume? in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I only currently have only 3 XBOX games installed on my PC. In the Gamepass settings I have selected a default drive for game installation. Not a... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by MadBikeSkillz, Aug 11, 2021.

1. Why won't GamePass Ultimate install to Windows Storage Space volume?

I only currently have only 3 XBOX games installed on my PC. In the Gamepass settings I have selected a default drive for game installation. Not a single game actually installs to the default location. My default installation drive is a volume on Windows Storage Spaces assigned to drive letter 'D'. When installing any game from the XBOX app it prompts for a drive and only allows me to select my boot nvme 'C' drive or a scratch nvme 'E' drive. This happens for every installation even though prompting for drive is disabled and a default install drive is specified.

Once an application is installed and if it requires additional data to be installed (for instance FlightSim), if selecting the drive to install data is allowed, you can install all data to the Storage Space assigned drive. It appears that all game launchers cannot be installed to the Storage Space volume.

I am wondering if this is 'by design' or is it some byproduct of not expecting installations in this particular manner.

I am sure there are others using Storage Spaces and wondering if they see the same issue.

:)

MadBikeSkillz, Aug 11, 2021
  2. MadBikeSkillz Win User

Here are the properties for Drive D:

[​IMG]

Disk Management lists the drive as a Basic Data Partition and Healthy, formatted NTFS. Here is how the Storage Space is set up.

[​IMG]

It is not encrypted and all drives are identical set up as shown in a two-way mirror. Windows reports no errors with the Storage Space and none with the physical drives and none with the partition.

Mateus, instead of trying to guess what is wrong, why don't you set up a small Storage Space and try it for yourself. Nothing in my setup is out of the ordinary. I continue to believe this is a code issue with the way Game Pass looks at storage when installing applications.

Note that changing storage options in Settings >> System >> Storage >> Change where new content is saved only affects applications that do not prompt you for installation location. Game Pass allows you to be prompted for every single installation regardless of the SYSTEM setting. In addition, Game Pass allows to your specify the default location to install which overrides that same SYSTEM setting. But it appears that if Storage Spaces is the default location Game Pass simply ignores the settings.
  3. MadBikeSkillz Win User

Sorry, still no go.

I am back to believing this is an XBox app coding error. I am now almost 100% certain that the XBox app team never anticipated an install of games on a Windows Storage Spaces drive. Actually since Storage Spaces is not likely something that most Windows users would even know about, it is likely that the XBox team never tested that install scenario. Coding instead to the lowest denominator, users that just accept all defaults for a Windows installation.

I will suggest a second time, that instead of doing the normal level 1 troubleshooting and handing out busy work as if it was college dorm spaghetti thrown against a wall to see if it's done, you actually try setting up a Windows Storage Spaces drive yourself and seeing it with your own two eyes.
  4. MateusFontana Win User

Can you tell me if drive D is formatted for NTFS?
  5. MadBikeSkillz Win User

No this doesn't help because it was already done. Windows is completely updated and is kept up to date, with retail release on this PC, I am a member of the Insider but this PC is kept with shipping versions of Windows not Insider versions. You can select the Storage Space drive in settings and and reboot until the next version of Windows arrives, it simply will not install game launchers to the Storage Space assigned drive. It is not a settings issue, it is some code that prevents installation on the Storage Space drive. Here is what settings look like:

[​IMG]

For more background, Steam, EA Origin, Ubisoft Connect, and Epic Game Store all allow you to install their games directly on the Storage Space assigned drive, not just their data.

[​IMG]

This is what I see for every install. You can plainly see that (D:) is not visible even though it has 20.9 TB (yes that is terrabytes) available space.
  6. MateusFontana Win User

Hello, how are you? My name is Mateus. I'm an Independent Advisor and I'll be glad to help you today.

First, welcome to the Xbox community. I'm sorry you're having this problem.

Before we try any different solution, would you know how to tell me if your windows are fully up to date, the latest version of the system is 21H1. If the system is not up to date, update through windows update.

*If this problem persists, check if the solution below can help you, please.

1. Open Settings ---> System

2. In the left column, choose the Storage tab and choose "Change where new content is saved"

3. Change "New apps will be saved to:" to any desired drive (in my case, D drive)

4. Wait 2 minutes and restart your PC.

5. The Microsoft Store has now created the necessary folders for the Xbox app to use.

6. Repeat steps 1 to 3 to change your location back to default if desired.

7. Now you can download your games from Xbox app to your desired drive/partition

*I hope this can help you.
Thema:

1. Why won't GamePass Ultimate install to Windows Storage Space volume? - Similar Threads - Why won't GamePass

2. Why won't the controller stay connected?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why won't the controller stay connected?: I have read all related questions and suggestions. Nothing is a permanent fix and I'd rather not switch systems. If there isn't a fix for this , switching is the I kt option left...
  3. why won't my controller work?

in XBoX on Consoles
    why won't my controller work?: my controller will not work with minecraft. 2e4cb778-3a95-4135-abf7-2f8e4a9d12ca
  4. Why won't YouTube work AT ALL on my Xbox S?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why won't YouTube work AT ALL on my Xbox S?: When I open YouTube on my Xbox S I can't play anything. Sometimes it will give me audio but with a blank screen, other times the screen will go black and after a moment it will go close and return...
  5. Why won't my xbox connect to the wifi?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why won't my xbox connect to the wifi?: Ive tried everything to connect it but it won't work. Sometimes it works but like a day later it stops working randomly. 0316c303-d4c8-4996-81aa-a1f18b205da8
  6. Why won't my xbox work?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why won't my xbox work?: Dear xbox community through out the past months my console has been acting up sometimes the console would turn on but would didnt connect to my monitor. other times it would stay on the green boot...
  7. why won't a little to the left start on xbox windows?

in XBoX on Consoles
    why won't a little to the left start on xbox windows?: I downloaded A Little to the Left on Xbox Windows but the game won't start. All I see is a grey screen and the little portrait of the cat in the bottom right corner. I thought it just needed to...
  8. Why won't my Xbox connect to WiFi?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why won't my Xbox connect to WiFi?: My Xbox for no reason no longer connects to WiFi. When I try set up a WiFi connection it doesn't give me options of nearby WiFi to connect to b032a48d-2b03-44e2-b939-99547c977ddb
  9. Why won't my Xbox connect to the Internet?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why won't my Xbox connect to the Internet?: I have been having issues with getting my Xbox Series X connecting to the WiFi but not connecting to the Internet. When I got it in 2023 it was connecting with no issues but recently it just won't...
  10. Why won't my xbox switch on?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why won't my xbox switch on?: Xbox series X doesn't switch on, why not? b24c95ac-a7ab-4b37-940a-e078975dcddf