Why will my portable disc drive not play my pc games?

Discus and support Why will my portable disc drive not play my pc games? in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; Hello! I recently got a new Acer laptop, and got a portable disc drive as well (asus zendrive) to play my old pc games. I plug in the disc drive and... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by JessCee, Jan 2, 2023.

  1. JessCee
    JessCee Guest

    Why will my portable disc drive not play my pc games?


    Hello!

    I recently got a new Acer laptop, and got a portable disc drive as well (asus zendrive) to play my old pc games. I plug in the disc drive and the games will install to the computer, but when i go to play the game, the screen will flash as if it is going to load the game, but then nothing loads. If i go to start the game again, it will say it is already loaded, but there are no icons on the bottom screen and it is not coming up in task manager. If i download a game straight from online/steam, it will work no problem. The games i am trying to play are DVD-rom's I believe. I tried a friends portable disc drive and the same thing happened. I did try using an old roller coaster tycoon game and that downloaded and played fine, it's just the other games that don't seem to be working. The computer is windows 11.

    Just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

    :)
     
    JessCee, Jan 2, 2023
    #1
  2. Obsessive Power Win User

    Why will my portable disc drive not play my pc games?

    Hi,

    Back when PC games were largely available still on DVD optical discs, many developers added different forms of DRM to prevent (or at least try) to prevent illegal duplication of the game and piracy. Some of the techniques and software used are no longer supported under Windows 10 and 11.

    A good example of this is are games that used DRM systems such as or similar to SafeDisk. This may explain why your game installed from DVD isn't working. There can be workarounds, but it depends on the game.

    Games download on Steam use a different type of DRM which does not have issues with Windows 10 and 11.

    Best to go to the PC gaming Wiki, search for your game on there and see if there are any issues running the original disc version on a later version of Windows.

    https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Home
  3. Georges C. Win User

    Why will my portable disc drive not play my pc games?

    Hello, first it's a pleasure to be able to help you today.

    My name is welcome to the community and Happy New Year.

    Hello JessCee, this cd`s who comes with games the game does not run directly from the CD player, it needs to be installed on your PC and usually it has minimum system requirements to be installed.

    This information is usually on the game box or even printed on the CD.

    If it is very old games, such as 16 bit games or games that ran on Windows XP or 7 and 8, it is unlikely that they can be installed on a PC with Win 10 or 11.
  4. Burnin TODI Win User

    just bought an xbox one and have a question

    I prefer to have an external HDD for my games anyway. I leave the internal 500GB drive for the OS and any apps I use. Put all my games onto a portable 3TB external HDD. Then, when I go to my friends and relatives I just grab my drive and discs so I can plug
    it in there, log in, and play.
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

    Will Scorpio have a disk drive at all - since X1 did not at first?

    If you used a fast SD-card, you wouldn't need to install to hard drive, you could could just run it straight from the SD-card or indeed from a top end USB 3.0 Flash drive. Top tier SD Memory are capable of reading data at just over 312MB/s (Megabytes per
    second), which, incidentally, is the just slightly over the maximum speed of the SATA II interface that both the Xbox One and the PS4 hard drives use. Games are not copied over as an ISO like I said before.

    The main reason games are on Blu-ray is cost. I would say a Flash stored 50GB game would add an extra £10 to the overall cost. BD discs are cheap to mass buy and mass duplicate, SD and Flash drive games would be expensive.

    The Nintendo DS, the 3DS and the PlayStation Vita use SD cards for their games. But they use SD storage for practical reasons, because with the device being portable, a small disc format would drain the battery more quickly - case in point, the PlayStation
    Portable.

    In the case of GTA V for the 360, the recommendation is to install only the Install disc to the hard drive and not the play disc as well. If you did choose to do both, the poor Xbox 360 hard drive has to work much harder to stream the data. You can actually
    improve the experience on the disc version of the game by installing the 'Play Disc' to a suitably fast USB Flash drive.

    BDXL is a special type of Blu-ray disc and needs a BDXL capable BD drive to be read. I doubt whether the format will take on, the discs themselves cost almost as much as the drives that read them. A typical BDXL disc can cost anything from £35-£50! With
    a maximum disc size of 128GB, it's cheaper to buy a 500GB or 1TB external hard drive. To my knowledge BDXL drives can not read UHD movie discs.

    Blu-ray drive take up for PC's is quite low. Software and games are not available on Blu-ray. Games either come on multiple DVD's or are only available digital only. I haven't bought a PC game on disc for over three years and most game stores are no longer
    selling PC games on disc as the publishers are no longer releasing them.
  6. IRB Win User

    Forza Horizon - Play Anywhere issue

    Oh that's a bummer, why is that a thing? Thanks for telling me
    It is a licence validation thing. For the digital copy they can control how it is used and ensure only the account that purchased it will be using it, with disc, they can't do that really.

    The benefit of disc: portability, usually cheaper

    The benefit of digital: play anywhere

    It is a choice which you go for, sorry you can't play on PC this time around.
Thema:

Why will my portable disc drive not play my pc games?

Loading...
  1. Why will my portable disc drive not play my pc games? - Similar Threads - Why portable disc

  2. Why am i only level 2 when ive been in the program for almost 7 years?

    in XboX Insiders
    Why am i only level 2 when ive been in the program for almost 7 years?: Ive been in the program for exactly 6 years and 4 months and i am only level 2, so i dont get the full advantages of the insider perks. submitted by /u/bigfackingooner [link] [comments]
  3. Why is Xbox ignoring the easiest Game Pass win on the market?

    in XboX Insiders
    Why is Xbox ignoring the easiest Game Pass win on the market?: Let’s be real for a second. Activision has been part of Xbox for almost a year now, yet Black Ops 1 & Black Ops 2 are still missing from Game Pass The Tech Gap: Millions of us are on digital-only...
  4. Why is the NextGen survey so long?!

    in XboX Insiders
    Why is the NextGen survey so long?!: I've answered about 100 questions and I'm only 40% through... I'm generally happy to contribute but, seriously, I'm struggling to find the energy to complete it. Shorter, focused surveys would be...
  5. Why isn't Lithuania a supported country but Latvia is??

    in XboX Insiders
    Why isn't Lithuania a supported country but Latvia is??: That's a very confusing thing to me like it's right there and because I'm from Lithuania I can't use all stuff on Xbox console I can't even buy Xbox game pass anymore like what submitted by...
  6. Why can’t I still not access the disc-to-digital feature?

    in XboX Insiders
    Why can’t I still not access the disc-to-digital feature?: I have singed up for insider and did all surveys and stuff and it’s already been days? screenshot 1 screenshot 2 submitted by /u/Cloudsquido [link] [comments]
  7. Could there be any reason why someone who's been in the Omega ring for a few weeks now...

    in XboX Insiders
    Could there be any reason why someone who's been in the Omega ring for a few weeks now...: I'm pissed bc I've been in the Omega ring for a few weeks now and even got myself up to Level 2 a bit ago... Yet... Nothing still. Do they hate me? What is going on?? My Xbox One console says...
  8. Disc to Digital are you an insider?️ What's the crack is it the end of physical discs, why...

    in XboX Insiders
    Disc to Digital are you an insider?️ What's the crack is it the end of physical discs, why...: Hey folks, just wondering what the crack is, I certainly think it's a good thing, for example I own RDR2 however, the disc is on its way out, I don't see why we having already paid and put in...
  9. Why a $200 Xbox Handheld with Physical Cartridges Is the Reset the Industry Needs

    in XboX Insiders
    Why a $200 Xbox Handheld with Physical Cartridges Is the Reset the Industry Needs: Look at the handheld market right now. On one side, you have $600–$900+ handheld PCs (ROG Ally, Legion Go, Steam Deck OLED) running desktop OS bloat, requiring constant setting tweaks, and...
  10. Please fix the play history don’t know why I got empty boxes in that place ?

    in XboX Insiders
    Please fix the play history don’t know why I got empty boxes in that place ?: Last two updates the play history don’t work for me ? submitted by /u/Masio666 [link] [comments]