Why on Earth does it cost money to change your Gamertag!?

Discus and support Why on Earth does it cost money to change your Gamertag!? in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; To start things off, I want to make a quick disclaimer, I haven't owned an Xbox since the 360 Era, I then moved onto Nintendo and eventually to... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by Mathew Balko, Jan 12, 2023.

  1. Mathew Balko
    Mathew Balko Guest

    Why on Earth does it cost money to change your Gamertag!?


    To start things off, I want to make a quick disclaimer, I haven't owned an Xbox since the 360 Era, I then moved onto Nintendo and eventually to Playstation and Nintendo.

    The question I'm here to address is one I've had for a good while, why does it cost money to change your Gametag? I've done some searching and these are some answers I've found.

    1. "It takes up space on the server, complicates things, and requires a good bit of effort from Microsoft."

    2. "Because people would be confused when their friends changed their Gamertags."

    3. "Why are you asking Microsoft this question only? Sony and Nintendo do this too!"

    I have counterarguments that completely render these answers irrelevant.

    1a. Just do what Discord and Steam do.

    2a. Then allow people to set nicknames for their friends that way they'd always know who they are (If I nicknamed MasterChiefIsABadass#6969 Phil, he would show up as Phil when he changed his username.)

    3a. Sony does let you change your username as long as you aren't using a child account.

    3b. Nintendo barely even has Gamertags, the closest things they have are sign-in IDs and friend codes (which aren't seen normally), they just display your console name which can be changed whenever you want, even if you're offline.

    In short, I think that if changing Gamertags causes issues, that's Microsoft's problem, I shouldn't have to pay full price for a console owned by a company that's not willing to satisfy it's consumers.

    :)
     
    Mathew Balko, Jan 12, 2023
    #1
  2. ngocphi Win User

    WHY DOES IT COST MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR GAMERTAG?

    Also therr would be more suspensions or no serious thought to names if it was free

    If a forced name change occurs then the person try a similar name with the same offence it just incurs another forced name change and they never change their ways without thought

    And too many of those will incur a permanent ban

    Hence the cost people.wouldn't change their name everytime they see a new character they think about it first before spending 10 bucks

    Or at least put serious thought into their names
  3. Rostom L Win User

    WHY DOES IT COST MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR GAMERTAG?

    Hi! I'm Rostom, an Independent Advisor. I will be glad to help you here.

    It's like the other games online, they require a payment to change the username or gamertag. We are only given a free change once. I believe this is to limit the abuse of changing gamertag and to not keep on changing it to allow other users claim their preferred gamertag.
  4. dekwan perry Win User

    Gamertag was changed by itself

    Please be more specific.

    Was your gamertag changed automatically and costed money or do you want to change it but it cost money?

    If it is because you want to change it but it cost money, It was your fault in the first place for violating Xbox's Terms of Service, Next time make sure to choose a more appropriate gamertag.

    - Silverstonery ^-^
  5. dekwan perry Win User

    Gamertag was changed by itself

    Please be more specific.

    Was your gamertag changed automatically and costed money or do you want to change it but it cost money?

    If it is because you want to change it but it cost money, it was your fault in the first place for violating Xbox's Terms of Service, next time make sure too choose a more appropriate gamertag.

    - Silverstonery ^-^
  6. SilentJay76 Win User

    Seriously, why does it cost money at all to change your Xbox Gamertag?

    The visible name feature would solve the first problem and the nickname feature would solve your second.

    And at least on the Nintendo Switch you can change your console name which is what people see online. I play Smash Bros and people change this all the time.
    I don't understand. How would a "visible name" feature prevent people from abusing it? How would a "nickname" feature tell me who's who, if they keep changing it? And why on Earth would you want THREE different usernames on one platform? (Gamertag, visible
    name, nickname.)
Thema:

Why on Earth does it cost money to change your Gamertag!?

Loading...
  1. Why on Earth does it cost money to change your Gamertag!? - Similar Threads - Why Earth does

  2. Hey why do some of my games and apps on my dashboard dim when I scroll over them. Not the...

    in XboX Insiders
    Hey why do some of my games and apps on my dashboard dim when I scroll over them. Not the...: When I go to select an app some dim and some don't. They all work nothings updating but some dim and I don't know why? submitted by /u/KalElKent821 [link] [comments]
  3. Why am i only level 2 when ive been in the program for almost 7 years?

    in XboX Insiders
    Why am i only level 2 when ive been in the program for almost 7 years?: Ive been in the program for exactly 6 years and 4 months and i am only level 2, so i dont get the full advantages of the insider perks. submitted by /u/bigfackingooner [link] [comments]
  4. Why is Xbox ignoring the easiest Game Pass win on the market?

    in XboX Insiders
    Why is Xbox ignoring the easiest Game Pass win on the market?: Let’s be real for a second. Activision has been part of Xbox for almost a year now, yet Black Ops 1 & Black Ops 2 are still missing from Game Pass The Tech Gap: Millions of us are on digital-only...
  5. Why is the NextGen survey so long?!

    in XboX Insiders
    Why is the NextGen survey so long?!: I've answered about 100 questions and I'm only 40% through... I'm generally happy to contribute but, seriously, I'm struggling to find the energy to complete it. Shorter, focused surveys would be...
  6. Why isn't Lithuania a supported country but Latvia is??

    in XboX Insiders
    Why isn't Lithuania a supported country but Latvia is??: That's a very confusing thing to me like it's right there and because I'm from Lithuania I can't use all stuff on Xbox console I can't even buy Xbox game pass anymore like what submitted by...
  7. Why can’t I still not access the disc-to-digital feature?

    in XboX Insiders
    Why can’t I still not access the disc-to-digital feature?: I have singed up for insider and did all surveys and stuff and it’s already been days? screenshot 1 screenshot 2 submitted by /u/Cloudsquido [link] [comments]
  8. Could there be any reason why someone who's been in the Omega ring for a few weeks now...

    in XboX Insiders
    Could there be any reason why someone who's been in the Omega ring for a few weeks now...: I'm pissed bc I've been in the Omega ring for a few weeks now and even got myself up to Level 2 a bit ago... Yet... Nothing still. Do they hate me? What is going on?? My Xbox One console says...
  9. Disc to Digital are you an insider?️ What's the crack is it the end of physical discs, why...

    in XboX Insiders
    Disc to Digital are you an insider?️ What's the crack is it the end of physical discs, why...: Hey folks, just wondering what the crack is, I certainly think it's a good thing, for example I own RDR2 however, the disc is on its way out, I don't see why we having already paid and put in...
  10. Why on Earth is my Xbox One S taking so long to do anything and freezing every few seconds?

    in XBoX on Consoles
    Why on Earth is my Xbox One S taking so long to do anything and freezing every few seconds?: A few days ago, my console was working just fine. Now all of a sudden it takes eons to do literally anything including booting up, and it keeps hanging on menus all the time. Is there a fix to all...