Why isn't there an update to play Xbox Series X/S Games from External HDD's

Discus and support Why isn't there an update to play Xbox Series X/S Games from External HDD's in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I have two External HDD's that i have used for my Xbox ONE and they are now being used on my Xbox Series X, I'm wondering why there isn't an update to... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by ChaosDisharmony, Jan 18, 2023.

1. Why isn't there an update to play Xbox Series X/S Games from External HDD's

I have two External HDD's that i have used for my Xbox ONE and they are now being used on my Xbox Series X, I'm wondering why there isn't an update to allow us to play games straight from External HDD's like we use to do with the Xbox ONE.

I know there is a card but even those two cards that you can buy to plug into the back of the both Xbox Series X/S consoles that is still not enough space for us to use or play games from, we are gamers that love different things from Action RPG's to MMOPRG's, and such, so why is it so hard to make an update that allows us to run games for the Xbox Series X/S from External HDD's, where is the update for that and when is it coming. I mean SONY allows their players to add a M.2 SSD upgrade for the drive along with external HDD use for their PS5 games, why can't Microsoft do the same thing with External HDD's. This feature is lacking from the Xbox Series X/S

:)

ChaosDisharmony, Jan 18, 2023
  2. ROBIN H 25 Win User

Xbox series s/x storage

You can still use external HDD for your Xbox/Xbox 360/Xbox One games but you can't play Series X/S games from them,

Series X/S games can only be played from the internal or external storage card,

with game file size's getting bigger, that 1Tb internal NVMe SSD is going fill up quick.
  3. Jason of Oz Win User

Keep Xbox One version of a game?

You may need to play Series S/X optimised games from internal storage, or official storage expansion cards, but there's nothing to stop you from storing them on standard external HDDs while they're not being used.

I've kept my Xbox One X's external HDD for older games that don't mind running from slower disk, but also as a kind of cool storage for Series S/X optimised games that I'm not actively playing at the moment. I kind of pick a few games at a time and stick with them so moving things back and forth isn't too onerous for me.

- Jason
  4. Verified ✅9 Win User

What do I do if my Xbox won’t let me have no more then 4. Games and I have a external storage but it keeps making me move all my games

series s and x games can only run from the internal storage or official (rip off) expansion card. only xbox one and 360 bc games can run off the external hdd.
    So I cannot download GTA Xbox series s/x edition on my external hardware?
  5. sonsam7 Win User

Can i download the Xbox One version of dying light 2 on my Series X?

This method did not work for me, it still downloaded the series x/s version of the game to my external hdd and would not play it.
  6. Tezzerrific Win User

You can play xbox one and 360 games from the external drive, but they insist that the updated series s/x games run from internal or card as those drives read faster than any mechanical drive or standard ssd as they are optimised for this.
Thema:

1. Why isn't there an update to play Xbox Series X/S Games from External HDD's - Similar Threads - Why isn't update

2. I bought a gift card with reward points on Xbox. Why would I get a code that isn't for Xbox.

in XBoX on Windows
    I bought a gift card with reward points on Xbox. Why would I get a code that isn't for Xbox.: I bought a gift card with my reward points League of Legends Gift Card-575 and it is usually sent to Xbox chat. I always set for goal in reward points for DC Universe Online League of Legends they...
  3. Why isn't my XBOX 360 Kinect sensor show the rest of my body?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why isn't my XBOX 360 Kinect sensor show the rest of my body?: Only my head and arms are recognized, I think it's broken. Is there anything that you could recommend? 5d5e479b-7f16-4c03-89de-90fa1bbb030a
  4. Why isn't palworld multiplayer not working

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Why isn't palworld multiplayer not working: Every time I try to switch to multiplayer it switches to off 0ee19075-e2df-4dd4-b4ed-37d37edc584f
  5. Why isn't my xbox series s running 1440p@120hz?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why isn't my xbox series s running 1440p@120hz?: Hello, I recently bought a new MSI monitor from amazon. It is 1440p and reaches up to 170hz. I am aware that the xbox series s can only reach up to 120hz and 1440p, however, when I bought it and...
  6. Why can't I add my visa debit card. It says the info isn't correct even though I have used...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why can't I add my visa debit card. It says the info isn't correct even though I have used...: Why can't I add my visa debit card. It says the info isn't correct even though I have used the card several times. I have put the card in 20 times with no luck 56ebb309-3f32-4b18-8ac5-c034cf66332d
  7. When I unplug my xbox to move it to a different room why does it need to update. It isn't...

in XBoX on Consoles
    When I unplug my xbox to move it to a different room why does it need to update. It isn't...: When I unplug my xbox to move it to a different room why does it need to update. It isn't even a couple of minutes a6043f89-fec2-47c0-83d5-0d3bde358e8f
  8. Why isn't my Xbox profile picture being updated

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why isn't my Xbox profile picture being updated: Hello I recently uploaded a custom profile picture on the Xbox mobile app, ensuring it is at least 1080x1080 pixels and is not against Xbox code of conduct. Can anyone help with my issue? Thanks...
  9. Why isn't my roblox working can u update it or give me a solution to the problem?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why isn't my roblox working can u update it or give me a solution to the problem?: I am having a problem with Roblox, every time that I open it tells me to press A to continue, so I do but then it just sits on the Roblox symbol and pans between the random landscape in the...
  10. I want to know why this status thing isn't working properly ever since I updated discord?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I want to know why this status thing isn't working properly ever since I updated discord?: [img] Used to work fine, but now? Nope. I want answers. I tried logging in and out, both via the app and on and desktop. Nothing has been fixed. I also wanna know why on Twitch, whenever I...