Why is the Xbox naming system rejecting a completely valid and extremely unique username as...

Discus and support Why is the Xbox naming system rejecting a completely valid and extremely unique username as... in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; TL;DR: I want to change my Xbox to something that is 100% free to use, but the system is rejecting it. Now a stupid amount of details for my... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by Aurandel, May 8, 2023.

1. Aurandel
    Aurandel Guest

Why is the Xbox naming system rejecting a completely valid and extremely unique username as...

TL;DR: I want to change my Xbox to something that is 100% free to use, but the system is rejecting it.

Now a stupid amount of details for my interactions with the stupid naming system:

- Until last week, my Xbox name was a default/randomised one, something like "FestiveApple500" (just a random example).

- Tied to this account, I have a bundled copy of Minecraft, for both the Java and the Windows editions of the game.

- I mainly played the Java Edition of the game, which allows my name (as it appears to other players) in the game to be changed via my "minecraft.net" profile.

- Having my desired "minecraft.net" name, I never bothered to change my default/randomised Xbox name. (I do not play any other games via Xbox.)

- I stopped playing Minecraft for about a year, but last week a friend asked to play together. My login information was gone, so I tried logging in from scratch.

- I actually have two Microsoft accounts, and after a whole year, I logged into the wrong one, a newer account. I realised that I was in the wrong account soon.

- Before I logged out, the system made me pick an Xbox name for the wrong account. And since I wanted to reserve my usual username for my older/correct account (the one with the Minecraft copies), I just named the newer/wrong one a shorter version of it (first eight letters).

Not done yet:

- I finally logged into my older/correct account, the one that had its Xbox name like "FestiveApple500".

- It turned out that my friend plays on the phone, so I needed to use the Windows Edition of the game to join her, instead of the Java Edition.

- I realised that the Windows Edition uses my Xbox name in the game, so I was being seen as "FestiveApple500", instead of my preferred name from "minecraft.net".

- I decided to change my default/randomised Xbox name, but the system now said that names with over 12 characters are not allowed, and my preferred name has 14 characters.

- This "12 letter limit" is false, because my wife's Xbox name (not just Java Minecraft name) has 14 characters like my preferred name.

- At the time I could not find a solution, so I tried the shorter version (the that I used on the wrong account), assuming that it would not be allowed, since I assigned it to my other account just minutes before.

- It was accepted, but with a gamer tag like "#1890". I thought that this was going to be like the Discord platform, where "#1890" will not appear in most places.

- I was wrong, I am now "[Name]1890" in most places, including Windows Minecraft.

We are almost there:

- I looked into how I can remove the number, and I learned that "#1890" was added because I picked an already-used name. Used by my other account...

- So I went back to my other account, changed its Xbox name to something else, and I returned to my main account and tried changing the name to the short version of my preferred name again.

- It did not work immediately, it said that I am already using it (so the system was ignoring the numbered part). But I found another way.

- I tested some other random name, and then I clicked on the "customise" button. In this page, I could actually get the short version of my name without the numbers.

- This page also increased the character limited from 12 to 15...

- Seeing the increased character limit, I tried the full version of my name, but somehow it said "either taken or not allowed".

- I devised my full username to be extremely unique, it is impossible to be taken by anyone other than myself, so there must be an error in the system somewhere (perhaps it is somehow reading the "minecraft.net" name among Xbox names).

- I half-heartedly settled for changing it to the short version, but now it asked me to PAY $10 FOR THE CHANGE.

So again, I want my Xbox name to be changed, and I want to have it for free. The time that I spent over this stupidity is already worth over $10. I am hoping that I can be contacted privately to reveal the name that I want.

:)

Aurandel, May 8, 2023
  2. CarTzy Win User

Why is the Xbox naming system rejecting a completely valid and extremely unique username as if taken?

Hi Aurandel,

Greetings!

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Here is an explanation with regards on your gamer tag questions: Xbox gamertag FAQ | Xbox Support

Meanwhile, If you want to be contacted by live support person, please follow the guide below.

1. Please use this link: Contact us | Xbox Support
    2. Scroll down and look at the lower left side if you can see the page matches the country/region you are currently located.
    3. If not, please select the country/region it is showing and select the correct one among the list.
    4. Make sure to use to check the available contact times of the support.
    5. Select the "Contact Us" button
    6. Select the drop-down menu options that will match your concern.
    7. The next window will provide you with support articles based on your request and we recommend reviewing the relevant articles before selecting the "See contact options" button.
    8. On the final window, you will be presented with multiple options. We suggest selecting either the "Chat online" or the "Request a call" options to speak with someone. Be sure to provide as much detail as possible.
    9. If you cannot get connected to the support, please use the Virtual Agent and enter this exact phrase, "Talk to an agent".
    10. Should you encounter same issue and have an error message please let us know so we can forward your findings to the Internal Support Team.
  3. Aurandel Win User

Why is the Xbox naming system rejecting a completely valid and extremely unique username as if taken?

That reply is not helpful in the slightest. I do not need FAQs, I am sharing an ERROR IN THE SYSTEM, so clearly I am more familiar with the naming system than Microsoft itself.

I have already tried all options for contacting support. I live in a region where I cannot request a call. I tried the "talk to another gamer" thing, which naturally did not help, because my issue needs to be resolved by someone with access to the systems.

As a last resort I am trying to get help with this post, but so far I am being told "here is how you can create a(nother) post"...

Whoever will reply next, please read my issues thoroughly and answer with a little bit more care.

The errors in the system essentially forced me to get a stupid username, and now I cannot change it to my desired username, and even a lesser alternative requires payment, and I WILL NOT REWARD the stupidity of this system.
  4. CarTzy Win User

Hello Aurandel,

I'm sorry for going through all of this. Kindly report this problem to Xbox, and the appropriate team will get back to you.

1. Press and hold the Xbox button , and then select Report a problem to launch the Report a Problem app.
    2. Select Report new problem.
    3. If you’re experiencing an audio or video issue, you can provide additional info and diagnostics to your problem report by selecting Reproduce with advanced diagnostics. Otherwise select Continue with standard diagnostics.

Note If you select Reproduce with advanced diagnostics, continue with the instructions that are found in the section, “Report a problem with media tracing.”
    4. Choose the most appropriate category and subcategory from each dropdown. If you’re not sure what to choose, make your best guess.
    5. If you have a screenshot or game clip with your issue, ensure that Include screenshot or Include game clip is selected.
    6. You may be prompted to complete your report another way:
      • If you select Use another device, you can use your mobile device to scan the provided QR code and continue from your device. This is helpful if your problem report has a lot of details that typing with the virtual keyboard on console may prove difficult.
      • If you select Continue on console, you can continue through the steps in this section to submit your issue from your Xbox console. You can use a USB keyboard, the Xbox Chatpad, or the Xbox app on your mobile or Windows device to submit the details of your report.

Note If you’re using a virtual assistant such as Cortana or Alexa, bring up the keyboard for each text field, and then press the View button to use voice-to-text.
    7. Enter a short title for your issue.
    8. Enter a description of your issue. Consider the following questions when deciding what details to include:
      • What is the problem or unexpected behavior?
      • What steps did you take to encounter the problem?
      • What additional software, hardware, or accessories were you using when you encountered the problem?
      • Were there any specific error codes or messages you saw when you encountered the problem or behavior? If so, what did it say?
    9. Select Submit. It can take several seconds for your problem report to send.

Reference: Provide feedback to Team Xbox | Xbox Support
  5. DeceptiveHornet Win User

Can't Get a Certain Gamertag

Wouldn't, for example, fantasy woman and fantasy_woman count as two different usernames? considering XBL allows spaces in names, which is a unique character by itself.
  6. Judge Win User

help

You can report modders through the system report feature, other than that there is nothing any of us can do to help with that. As for being rejected, if any action was taken against your account in the past year (forced name change, modding, suspension,
    ect) then that may be why. Otherwise, they don't provide reasons for rejections really. Feel free to app again in the future though.
Thema:

1. Why is the Xbox naming system rejecting a completely valid and extremely unique username as... - Similar Threads - Why naming system

2. Why are some accounts with super offensive names not getting removed?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Why are some accounts with super offensive names not getting removed?: Im playing Grand Theft Auto and some guy joins the group chat party with a swastika as his gamertag. He said he’s been reported tons of times and nothing has happened to him. Is there tags...
  3. Do any of y’all know why I haven’t received a free name change?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Do any of y’all know why I haven’t received a free name change?: Gamertag is not free for my first time 24d80f9b-b61d-4a64-8811-83285f8f35cc
  4. why when i connect my new wired gaming headsets it doesnt add the device or add the name,...

in XBoX on Consoles
    why when i connect my new wired gaming headsets it doesnt add the device or add the name,...: when i connect my new gaming headset it doesn't has its own name to it or separate it from the windows default sound device it always goes to the windows default one and runs by that instead of...
  5. Why is Xbox design lab saying that I need to put my name on my account when I already have?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why is Xbox design lab saying that I need to put my name on my account when I already have?: I want to order a controller off of the Xbox design lab, but when I hit proceed to check out it says I need to put my first and last name on my account. So I went in and put my name, but it is...
  6. why does it say my name is corrupt

in XBoX Games and Apps
    why does it say my name is corrupt: i have tried to install n reinstall the game like it says and then it said my game is still corrupt so i followed the guild and reset my xbox but it still says the exact same thing that fortnite...
  7. Why does my old gamertag still show above new one after purchasing a new name?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why does my old gamertag still show above new one after purchasing a new name?: Recently purchased a new gamertag, but it still shows my old name above new name. Anyone know why? [img] 39aea6a9-41ab-4d54-b546-3e09446c7d8d
  8. Why can’t I make a gamer tag without a hashtag even though the name isn’t taken?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why can’t I make a gamer tag without a hashtag even though the name isn’t taken?: So yesterday I tried to make a new gamer tag and it showed that there were no hashtags and when I purchased it it only changed my game gamer tag not the main one. I’m frustrated because I thought...
  9. Why is signing in two profiles changing the profile picture and legal name of the other?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why is signing in two profiles changing the profile picture and legal name of the other?: So I just signed two accounts in on my Xbox and it made the profile picture change for the second one that was signed in and changed the name tied to it to be the name of the one that was signed...
  10. Why does my xbox account show my husband's name and profile picture but my email address...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why does my xbox account show my husband's name and profile picture but my email address...: I've restarted the Xbox, updated it and readded and unadded my account several times but, everytime I log in, it shows my husband's profile picture and name, but my email address and username. But...