Why is the Character limit set to 12 on changing Gamertags?

Discus and support Why is the Character limit set to 12 on changing Gamertags? in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; I was just wondering why the character limit is 12. My Gamertag (shown above) is 15, clearly they can handle grandfather clausing GTs from the past... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by Insanegangsta23, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Why is the Character limit set to 12 on changing Gamertags?

I was just wondering why the character limit is 12. My Gamertag (shown above) is 15, clearly they can handle grandfather clausing GTs from the past into the new system. Why can't the limit be something like 20? No one really needs any more than 15, yet the
    extra 5 characters would give wiggle room for those that would like a longer name. As well as is it possible to contact xbox about this circumstance to extend the limit?

I want to change my name to Crossinsanity, which is one character bigger than before. Would it be possible to change?

:)

Insanegangsta23, Oct 2, 2020
  2. Insanegangsta23 Win User

figured as such, thank you for the answer.
  3. ngocphi Win User

Because its to allow the new gamertags to work within the old limits as NOT all games have been updates to the new system yet

So yes the limit is 12 with 3 reserved specifically for hashtags

20 characters wouldnt be accepted by games that havent been updated and some wont be if abandoned by developer

Vs 12 hashtag ones which would then be within the 15 limit therefore still work with older games without developer help

Vs adding 20 which forces all the developera to patch their games
  4. Smwutches Win User

PC Gamertag

Since it's over 12 characters, you've changed your classic gamertag, but not you regular gamertag. You'd have to change that one, but it is limited to 12 characters.
  5. Smwutches Win User

Username Character Limit

The only way to swap the names of the accounts would be to change the tag to something else and then rename then, paying each time. But you would be limited to the 12 characters when you make the change.

The 12 character limit went into place in 06/2019. It's so people can use a gamertag even if someone else is already using it. If someone else already has the tag, you would be given a suffix (# and numbers) which is why the limit was shortened. If you had
    a gamertag that was over the 12 characters prior to the change, you were not made to change it, but if you change it now you cannot go back to a 15 character tag.
  6. Lady Nataleigh Win User

Beware: Gamertag "nickname" and "nick name" are the same

I want to ask, for the gamertag change, were you given a prompt like
    this
    when changing your gamertag? Because my only guess of what it could've done is character limit since I've never seen this happen before. The character limit too is only set to 12 characters for the gamertag that'll for that says "Xbox One console and
    Xbox Apps" while the second one is given a character limit of 15 characters.
Thema:

1. Why is the Character limit set to 12 on changing Gamertags? - Similar Threads - Why Character limit

2. Why is my invite To game greyed out?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Why is my invite To game greyed out?: When I want to invite someone to my game in the game bar the invite to game button is greyed out and I can’t invite taken to my game I am playing on windows 11 by the way Oh and also I can’t see...
  3. Why is my Xbox Series X lagging?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is my Xbox Series X lagging?: My Xbox is brand new, yet it lags terribly when I play online games, like Fortnite for example. I recently just switched over from my Nintendo Switch to the Xbox, expecting that performance would...
  4. Why does my xbox series x shut down everytime I try to play the matrix demo .

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my xbox series x shut down everytime I try to play the matrix demo .: Why..... is the question ... what is real how do you define real...(that's where is shuts off haha) Everytime i try to play the matrix demo my console shuts down there's a green screen for a split...
  5. Why is it taking so long to install my game on my new Xbox x series when my game is an...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is it taking so long to install my game on my new Xbox x series when my game is an...: Why is it taking so long to install my game on my new Xbox x series when my game is an actual DVD please help i really want to plyto play y, e5f5ca56-d564-47d1-aa93-b40ef50b43d7
  6. Why are my specific dead zone settings on my elite series 2 not registering in game it’s...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why are my specific dead zone settings on my elite series 2 not registering in game it’s...: It’s acting as if it isn’t recognizing my specific settings which is weird because sometimes it does and other times it doesn’t and it just started happening after I synced it to a series x...
  7. Why there is no pro version of xbox series xs coming ?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why there is no pro version of xbox series xs coming ?: Is it true that there is no xbox pro coming this year while ps5 getting a pro version? 743a9054-79cc-415a-9920-f13b042d94e3
  8. Why is it whenever I move my joystick forward in a game my character continues moving even...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is it whenever I move my joystick forward in a game my character continues moving even...: What happens is whenever I move my controller joystick forward to sprint in ac vallhalla and I let go of the stick it continues moving this is the same problem on the games UI and when moving...
  9. Real life hero has to be 32 characters long why is that.my title is real life fucking hero...

in XboX Insiders
    Real life hero has to be 32 characters long why is that.my title is real life fucking hero...: All these games on video i have done in real life.im not cutting down video games but doing them in excess cant be too healthy.iIt will affect you negatively in some sociall or physical aspect as...
  10. Fable 3 why did my character completely reset?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Fable 3 why did my character completely reset?: Alright so this is a very weird situation for me and I’m not entirely sure I’m asking the right questions but I love fable 3 and I had just completed the main quest but when I went to add a second...