Why is my Xbox Series S having significant Frame Drops in certain games?

Discus and support Why is my Xbox Series S having significant Frame Drops in certain games? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I’ve had my Xbox Series S since it came out and have never had any issues pertaining the FPS until now. Most recently I’ve been playing Overwatch 2 and... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Bear Hoops, Oct 30, 2022.

1. Bear Hoops
    Bear Hoops Guest

I’ve had my Xbox Series S since it came out and have never had any issues pertaining the FPS until now. Most recently I’ve been playing Overwatch 2 and COD MW2 and I’m experiencing significant frame drops. After a few games of Overwatch, my consoles fps in the game drops to 60 until I reset. In COD, I can’t barely get 80FPS half the time. These games are a few of the only games that don’t reach 120FPS. Fortnite is one of the games that still is able to run 120 consistently. Is there anything I can do about this or can the Series S just not handle games likes these anymore.

:)

Bear Hoops, Oct 30, 2022
  2. ngocphi Win User

It depends if you are trying to push 4k resolution it isnt meant for 4k

It is meant for 1440p at 120hz at most but with highbdetails it's better for 60fps at 900p

Not all games support higher fps

Even on series x most games aim for 60hz at 4k
  3. Kathy A. Win User

Hi Bear Hoops,

We know you're looking for a solution to this FPS issue, especially if you've tried FPS boost and Auto HDR which may or may not improve the FPS for some games. We urge you to report this issue so that the developers are made aware of it. There could be FPS dips on some games and it’s something that developers fix in future updates.

The game performance is something that happens in all games. All we can do is submit a report and let the developer know about their game's performance. There is nothing wrong with your console and when playing at 120 FPS you will see some dips in some games. Not all games are equal.

Here are the steps on how to report a problem:

1. Install Report a Problem app from Microsoft Store in Xbox Console.
    2. Press and hold the Xbox button, select Report a problem and select Report new problem.
    3. Please provide additional info and diagnostics to your problem report by selecting Reproduce with advanced diagnostics. Otherwise select Continue with standard diagnostics.
      Note If you select Reproduce with advanced diagnostics, continue with the instructions that are found in the section “Report a problem with media tracing.”
    4. Choose the most appropriate category and subcategory from each dropdown. If you’re not sure what to choose, make your best guess.
    5. If you have a screenshot or game clip with your issue, ensure that Include screenshot or Include game clip is selected.
    6. Enter a short title for your issue.
    7. Enter a description of your issue. Consider the following questions when deciding what details to include:
      • What is the problem or unexpected behavior?
      • What steps did you take to encounter the problem?
      • What additional software, hardware, or accessories were you using when you encountered the problem?
      • Were there any specific error codes or messages you saw when you encountered the problem or behavior? If so, what did it say?
    8. Select Submit. It can take several seconds for your problem report to send.
    Complete guide can be found through this support article: Provide feedback to Team Xbox | Xbox Support

Regards,

4. Kathy A. Win User

Hi Bear Hoops,

Welcome to Xbox Community Forum. Thank you for sharing your concern with us today and we hope that all is well.

We understand that you are having issues with your recently played games, and you were getting 60 - 80 FPS. Let us check on this together and sort this out in timely manner.

We would like to confirm if you have tried the enabling FPS boost and auto HDR for your Xbox Series S? This way, there will be an increased number of frames per second in select games, giving you a smoother visual experience and more immersive gameplay and richer visuals to select games.

To enable FPS Boost and auto HDR -

1. Press the Xbox button on your controller to open the guide, and then select My games & apps > See all.
    2. Highlight the tile of any game and then press the Menu button.
    3. Select Manage game and add-ons.
    4. Select Compatibility options.
    Note:

Not all game titles offer this compatibility options.

FPS boost and auto HDR aren’t available for all backward compatible games. For unsupported games, the option to turn on these features is greyed out. If the game doesn’t support either option, the Compatibility options feature won’t appear.

You may also try 120 Hz FPS setup -

Games that have been boosted to 120 FPS require a 120 Hz-capable TV and your console's display settings set to 120 Hz. If your TV or console is not configured to support 120 Hz, FPS boost will be grayed out.

1. Make sure that your console is on the latest update:
      • Press the Xbox button to open the guide, and then select Profile & system > Settings > System > Updates.
      • Select Update console and apply any updates as needed.
    2. Make sure that your TV supports the 120 Hz refresh rate. This varies by TV model. Be sure to consult your owner’s manual for your TV to enable this.
    3. Change your console display settings to 120 Hz:
      • Press the Xbox button to open the guide, and then select Profile & system > Settings > General > TV & display options.
      • Select Refresh rate > 120 Hz.
        • Note If you don’t see an option for 120 Hz, select 4K TV details under Setup for more information.
    4. Enable FPS boost in the compatibility settings for the game:
      • In My games & apps, highlight the game desired, and then press Menu > Manage game & add-ons > Compatibility options.
      • Enable FPS boost.
    Note: Native HDR games that are boosted to 120 FPS need to have HDR disabled if your resolution in video settings is set to less than 4K.

Please check this support article to learn more: Configure your console for FPS boost and auto HDR | Xbox Support

We look forward to your response. Kindly let us know, if there is any misunderstanding or clarifications of our description by sending us a reply.

Sincerely,

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
  5. jacopowell Win User

Lag and stutter issues

Xbox series s.. the console is very slow and has frame drops at times when im with certain friends and does not do that when im with other friends
  6. Franek_ Win User

Significant frame drops in FIFA 23 for Xbox Series S

Thank you, but there's a problem - when I go to the devices and connections settings, there's no such option as "blu-ray", neither "disc". There's 5 options, none of which show "persistent storage" option when I enter them. I'm on Xbox Series S if this helps. I did find some game files connected to the profiles on the console in the game files, but I doubt that those are cache files, plus I'd rather not delete them as I already made some progress in game. Not sure what to do next
Thema:

1. Why is my Xbox Series S having significant Frame Drops in certain games? - Similar Threads - Why Series having

2. Why do I have to power cycle my xbox series S every time I join a party just so I can hear...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why do I have to power cycle my xbox series S every time I join a party just so I can hear...: I feel like I have tried Every trouble shoot that I can find on Microsoft support about audio, privacy, Nat type, headphones and I'm still having to power cycle my console to be able to hear my...
  3. Why does my Xbox series s have so many bugs ?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Xbox series s have so many bugs ?: I’ve had this Xbox series s for about a year now and taken care of it perfectly but I’ve randomly started to encounter bugs after bugs after more random bugs so first I was experiencing really bad...
  4. Why wont my game go online have just brought new xbox series x I already pay monthly for online

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why wont my game go online have just brought new xbox series x I already pay monthly for online: Why wont my xbox go online wants me to buy subscription I already pay for it I have just set up new xbox series x ***moved from Gaming and Xbox / Accessibility / Other***...
  5. Why am I getting a white screen every time I have to log in to my Xbox series s?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why am I getting a white screen every time I have to log in to my Xbox series s?: I have set up my Xbox so I don’t have to log in every time yet it still comes up. Then when I put in my password it loads for a bit then a white screen appears. I have tried everything. From...
  6. Why is my brand new series X showing error of not having enough space to save?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why is my brand new series X showing error of not having enough space to save?: A brand new series X right out of the box, plugged it in,dl a list of my games in its hard drive,then tried to start Skyrim.... Error 0x80830003 continuously! Says no available space to save! On a...
  7. My Series X is having difficulties and I don't know why. Can anyone help?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My Series X is having difficulties and I don't know why. Can anyone help?: So I recently got a new series x, and everything has been fine, everything is up to date and I've had no real issues except for one. I have an xbox one copy of Red Dead Redemption 2 and I'd like...
  8. Why is my Xbox series x having a hard time connecting to my internet?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is my Xbox series x having a hard time connecting to my internet?: I bought my console today and it will sometimes connect to my internet and sometimes won't. What is happening? a4192c68-8a9e-49ac-8c6e-cf4bbf18b791
  9. I have a 100% packet loss with a wired connection on my series x and I can't figure out why...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I have a 100% packet loss with a wired connection on my series x and I can't figure out why...: I ran "test Multiplayer connection" option and I get " You have high packet loss" " your packet loss is 100% I then run "test network speed & statistics" and get the following "DL speed 61.76 UPL...
  10. Why is my xbox series x flashing its light at me 3 time and I have had this only 4 months

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is my xbox series x flashing its light at me 3 time and I have had this only 4 months: Xbox series X used to crash alot when I first got it and then it stopped for a bit and now it's flashing at me 3 times and crashing my game sending me back to the home screen...