Why is my xbox lying about connection speeds?

Discus and support Why is my xbox lying about connection speeds? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; When I check network statistics on my xbox one it is telling me I am getting 884mbps download speeds, my queue for downloads bounces around between... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by CantStopTheATrain, Sep 24, 2019.

  1. Why is my xbox lying about connection speeds?


    When I check network statistics on my xbox one it is telling me I am getting 884mbps download speeds, my queue for downloads bounces around between 100-250mbps listed, but the games are actually downloading at about 10% of that. I see a lot of people expressing
    dissatisfaction about their xbox not meeting their internet service, but mine is coming close according to the network test, but hardly 1% overall in action. I'm super confused why the download itself would be telling me its going way faster than it is.

    I am running a wired connection directly to a brand new router and it is the only thing on the network.

    Anyone know why this would happen or how to fix it? Or is speed for the xbox store capped or something?

    :)
     
    CantStopTheATrain, Sep 24, 2019
    #1
  2. Mikeysoonerfan Win User

    Why is my xbox lying about connection speeds?

    One thing to remember when downloading files is there is a difference between bites and bits. File sizes are always listed in bites. Speeds are always listed in bits. So if you have a 2GB file and have a 1Gb service that file will not download in 2 seconds.
    There are 8bits for every bite. So even running at full optimal speed it will take 8x's longer than what most people think. Then there are connection speeds at the server, and traffic in the server. Plus what the xbox is able to handle computing wise. Whether
    its wifi or hardwired. So many things affect download speeds on console. Try running a download while playing a game or running another program and the download slows to a crawl. Not sure if xbox prioritizes the other programs and slows background downloads
    but it sure seems like it does. Its best to download offline. I get the best speeds with downloads when the xbox is sitting idle doing nothing but the download. Do anything it slows it down. So with your example of 250Mbps downloading a 40GB file will roughly
    take 21 minutes. Most people I would ask that question to would think that file would download in 3 minutes. Why do they put bits in speed and put bites on file size? Who knows.
  3. Geth Win User

    Why is my xbox lying about connection speeds?

    Yeah, it seems they have a cap space for downloads.

    Sony and Steam also seem to have this. Most likely in place to keep the servers fully optimized.
  4. Kelemvor79 Win User

    XBOX lying download speed?

  5. General Usage Win User

    WHY HAVE INFINITY WARD HIDDEN THE HOST?

    What is this lag compensation? i have had a feeling something was not right with MW3, my connection shows full bars (40MB net) but there has been a few times i have been shot when i fired first. Is IW lying to us about our connection in the game? after all
    MW2 showed the correct speed
  6. Zero Divided Win User

    My Day by Day Evaluation of the X1

    varied speeds can be expected, the further away the speed test server is, the more inaccurate the results will be, that is why most speed test sites will try and go to the closest server, most of my X1 speed tests come in about 75mbps at about 65-70ms latency,
    one day i was bored and checked where my X1 was connecting to for its speed test, it was connecting to an IP address registered in Virginia, which is 800 miles away from where i actually am.
Thema:

Why is my xbox lying about connection speeds?

Loading...
  1. Why is my xbox lying about connection speeds? - Similar Threads - Why lying connection

  2. Hey why do some of my games and apps on my dashboard dim when I scroll over them. Not the...

    in XboX Insiders
    Hey why do some of my games and apps on my dashboard dim when I scroll over them. Not the...: When I go to select an app some dim and some don't. They all work nothings updating but some dim and I don't know why? submitted by /u/KalElKent821 [link] [comments]
  3. Why am i only level 2 when ive been in the program for almost 7 years?

    in XboX Insiders
    Why am i only level 2 when ive been in the program for almost 7 years?: Ive been in the program for exactly 6 years and 4 months and i am only level 2, so i dont get the full advantages of the insider perks. submitted by /u/bigfackingooner [link] [comments]
  4. Why is Xbox ignoring the easiest Game Pass win on the market?

    in XboX Insiders
    Why is Xbox ignoring the easiest Game Pass win on the market?: Let’s be real for a second. Activision has been part of Xbox for almost a year now, yet Black Ops 1 & Black Ops 2 are still missing from Game Pass The Tech Gap: Millions of us are on digital-only...
  5. Why is the NextGen survey so long?!

    in XboX Insiders
    Why is the NextGen survey so long?!: I've answered about 100 questions and I'm only 40% through... I'm generally happy to contribute but, seriously, I'm struggling to find the energy to complete it. Shorter, focused surveys would be...
  6. Why isn't Lithuania a supported country but Latvia is??

    in XboX Insiders
    Why isn't Lithuania a supported country but Latvia is??: That's a very confusing thing to me like it's right there and because I'm from Lithuania I can't use all stuff on Xbox console I can't even buy Xbox game pass anymore like what submitted by...
  7. Why can’t I still not access the disc-to-digital feature?

    in XboX Insiders
    Why can’t I still not access the disc-to-digital feature?: I have singed up for insider and did all surveys and stuff and it’s already been days? screenshot 1 screenshot 2 submitted by /u/Cloudsquido [link] [comments]
  8. Could there be any reason why someone who's been in the Omega ring for a few weeks now...

    in XboX Insiders
    Could there be any reason why someone who's been in the Omega ring for a few weeks now...: I'm pissed bc I've been in the Omega ring for a few weeks now and even got myself up to Level 2 a bit ago... Yet... Nothing still. Do they hate me? What is going on?? My Xbox One console says...
  9. Disc to Digital are you an insider?️ What's the crack is it the end of physical discs, why...

    in XboX Insiders
    Disc to Digital are you an insider?️ What's the crack is it the end of physical discs, why...: Hey folks, just wondering what the crack is, I certainly think it's a good thing, for example I own RDR2 however, the disc is on its way out, I don't see why we having already paid and put in...
  10. Why did Microsoft lie to me

    in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why did Microsoft lie to me: To keep it short recently my email and alot of other things got hacked including my microsoft. Someone full security wiped me from my account and removed all my details and put my account under a...