Why is it made deliberately difficult to cancel (paid for) pre-orders?

Discus and support Why is it made deliberately difficult to cancel (paid for) pre-orders? in XBoX Sales and Promo to solve the problem; I tend to pre-order stuff when I have credit in my Xbox account as it makes it easier to keep track of my expenditure that way. But lately, I have... Discussion in 'XBoX Sales and Promo' started by SteveHargreaves, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Why is it made deliberately difficult to cancel (paid for) pre-orders?

I tend to pre-order stuff when I have credit in my Xbox account as it makes it easier to keep track of my expenditure that way.

But lately, I have been penalised twice for pre-ordering games. I pre-ordered Zombie Army 4 and then low and behold, I find out as soon as I start playing it, that there is an offer on for 6,000 reward points if you purchase it. But because I didn't fall
    within the confines of Microsofts date for that offer, I can't claim the points. Despite them having been paid well in advance.

Next up I see Bayonetta/Vanquish is the same. I have tried cancelling the order, but it says I can't because I have been billed for it. Well, surprise, companies have been able to cancel orders for years for stuff that has been paid for but not yet released.
    But Microsoft can't manage that?

So now, I have missed out on 6,000 rewards points again, which isn't an inconsiderable amount of points.

There must be an easy way to get a refund on an item which hasn't yet been released????

:)

SteveHargreaves, Feb 15, 2020
  2. SteveHargreaves Win User

I have some memory problems after a motorcycle accident so I tend to be extremely careful with handling finances, and indeed need help with it at times.

So I usually look on the regular forums for people selling Xbox Credit at a bit of a discount, then pre-order games at the time, just because it helps me keep track of orders, spending etc. Then keep a note of game purchases and orders in a small notebook.

I understand that it wouldn't work for everybody that way. But for me, it helps immensely to grab credit, order games, know what I have spent, know that I don't need to fork out when the game is launched.

That's it really.
  3. webdevkit Win User

Any time money is transferred from one entity to another, the recipient is usually going to do whatever they can to retain the acquisition. Don't like dealing with canceling pre-orders? Don't pre-order. There's really very little benefit to pre-ordering
    from the consumer perspective. Just stop doing it and then you don't have to deal with any of that non-sense. If you're pre-ordering for some exclusive bonus, ask yourself, "do I really need this bonus?" or, "will they just release this bonus as a purchase/free
    item in the future?"
  4. Reactor Leak SF Win User

My guess is that it has something to do with the way you paid for it originally. When you pay with cash or a debit card in the store, they can just refund it immediately, but if you’re using Microsoft credit of some kind, they’ve got a research to make
    sure that the credit didn’t have anything attached to it (at least I think so, don’t shoot the messenger LOL)
  5. SteveHargreaves Win User

This has all come back to bite me in the backside now. I now have a total of 7000 odd points. But before re-ordering Bayonetta/Vanquish, I had a balance of just over 4,000 points.

Microsoft is telling me that I must be mistaken. I'm not because I was trying to get to 5,000 points to grab the MS credit as I had previously mentioned.

They claim I had a balance of 430 points, but that doesn't make sense because then my new balance should be 6,430 points.

I had pre-ordered The Division 2 New York expansion over the weekend which cost £33.49 I believe, which should have netted me well over 2,000 points. That coupled with the 6,000 should have put me over 8,000 points anyway. But MS is having none of it!!
  6. mareledanut Win User

Hi,I think that they penalize you so you don't take advantage of the pre-order bonuses.
Thema:

1. Why is it made deliberately difficult to cancel (paid for) pre-orders? - Similar Threads - Why made deliberately

2. The new double-wide "happening now" thing is hideous, and nobody liked it, so why are you...

in XboX Insiders
    The new double-wide "happening now" thing is hideous, and nobody liked it, so why are you...: What's the point of the insider program if you don't even listen to the feedback? This sub has nearly a million subscribers, but typically, around 30 people browsing it at any given time, if...
  3. Why wont my 360 games connect to xbox live on my xbox series X

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why wont my 360 games connect to xbox live on my xbox series X: I'm having some serious trouble atm with trying to get 360 games to work on my series X. These are all games that until today worked fine. Now it will not connect to xbox live for the cloud or my...
  4. Why doesn't the call of duty allow me to play multipler or zombies as have xbox x that made...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why doesn't the call of duty allow me to play multipler or zombies as have xbox x that made...: Won't allow me to play multiplier or zombies on the mw3 vault upgrade version on my xbox x e381ce0c-de05-4b4e-b8cc-59223ea3f74c
  5. Why isn't my F1 23 purchase that I made on Xbox showing up in EA website?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why isn't my F1 23 purchase that I made on Xbox showing up in EA website?: I have looked at FIFA 23 and in the EA website it says that I own it but when I try with F1 23 it doesn't show up. I want it there so that I can play F1 23 on my laptop as well without having to...
  6. Why when I submitted a refund request it said a have made to many request this year when I...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why when I submitted a refund request it said a have made to many request this year when I...: So when I check the refund requests it says declined why I have never refunded a game and also I read over people’s requests it says that they got an email about there refund but I did not This...
  7. why was Banjo Tooie made worse?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    why was Banjo Tooie made worse?: the N64 version of Banjo Tooie, in my opinion, was perfect and after hearing it was to come to the xbox one i was so looking forward to it… but when i inputted any “cheato” based codes… my save...
  8. Why everything has been made so difficult?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why everything has been made so difficult?: Hi. Any answer would be great, it's an honest question. I am puzzled by how Microsoft haven't bankcrupted years ago, considering how anything related to Microsoft software is so difficult to use....
  9. why when i tried to sign into my minecraft account it made me make a new xbox account even...

in XBoX Accessibility
    why when i tried to sign into my minecraft account it made me make a new xbox account even...: So, I had downloaded curseforge and got up to the bit where i had to sign in on the minecraft launcher i again. I actually forgot the email & password but i got it back from my brother. So i...
  10. why when i tried to sign into my minecraft account it made me make a new xbox account even...

in XBoX Accessibility
    why when i tried to sign into my minecraft account it made me make a new xbox account even...: when i tried to sign into my minecraft account it forced me to make a new account and now i cant access my old one which had all my stuff 22498f7b-5033-4d9f-9165-657a236bde19