Why is a Gamertag rollout that happened in 2019 not effective in games releasing in 2021?

Discus and support Why is a Gamertag rollout that happened in 2019 not effective in games releasing in 2021? in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; I decided to change my Gamertag from Maniac to in Xbox because I was under the impression that it would work.. y'know, as it should? Eventually? But... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by ManiacalZ, Dec 15, 2021.

1. ManiacalZ
    ManiacalZ Guest

Why is a Gamertag rollout that happened in 2019 not effective in games releasing in 2021?

I decided to change my Gamertag from Maniac to in Xbox because I was under the impression that it would work.. y'know, as it should? Eventually?

But we're years down the road and neither Forza Horizon 5 nor Halo Infinite support the hashtagged numbers properly. In-game I am 5569, and logically, it should be displayed as plain ol' because that was the whole point of the hashtag transition in the first place.

When I went to change my gamertag initially, it let me know that unsupported games would display it as 5569, but I never would have thought that games released this year would still not support it.

A response on another similar question is: "The numbers will show in games that haven't been updated to work with the new gamertag system yet. The only way to not have them is to change your tag to a tag no one else has" but I am just baffled that after two years games on Xbox are still not built to just truncate the numbers after the hashtag on people's Gamertags while in-game.

If anything I'd just like my old Gamertag back, but now that's unsupported due to it now being too long.

Is there any hope here?

:)

ManiacalZ, Dec 15, 2021
  2. ManiacalZ Win User

"On Xbox games that don't support the new gamertag system"

This is what I'm talking about. We're two years in and no games support the new gamertag system.
    Genuinely infuriating.
  3. Nursemorph Win User

As noted above, the numbers will always be there, just sometimes the # might not be.

If you go to change a Gamertag, it says it will either contain the hashtag or not but the numbers will remain.

To illustrate, I put in a new GT and it shows both:

[​IMG]
  4. ngocphi Win User

They do just not bc titles or developers who haven't update

Not everyone has the same system.

Some have aws or their own cloud many have azure

Plus you gotta remember your name has to support crossplay since many support multiple systema
  5. ngocphi Win User

Umm you don't understand how the system works

That's why support can't help

The.hashtag is never invisible the system wouldn't work if it did

Every name must be unique regardless of update

The hashtag is lesser visible but as with any systemdue tp the lower case numbers which would be half the size of the gamertag font size it MUST be visible at all times

The new system allows for symbols and are autogenrrateed hashtags as mandatory when the name is already taken

You just won't notice it as much

Where it is invisible is only on your console NOT to everyone else

To everyone else on supported games it will be #plus hashtag lowercase numbers

To you it's just your chosen name and ONLY YOU

@op what you are suggesting would bd e privacy nightmare

In-game chat or msgging still goes thru the xbox live system your gamertag is like your ip addeess if that hashtag wasn't visible when your friends send you a msg EVERYONE with that gamertag would receive the same

This is why gamertags have to be unique

but you could have 5 people with the same gamertag to that same router

Would you like it if 5 people got a msg meant for you I think not

Alias or local gamertags only show up on your console so they don't need the hashtag

But to everyone else it needs to be visible so 2-5 other people don't receive the wrong msg

Think of it like FB where 1000 other people.could have a common name

But only 50 live in your desired location you want to find

So you use known friends to narrow it down

A few hit and misses later you find that person

That's not good for a gaming network when you are in a death match and need to send your team a order
  6. ngocphi Win User

NOoooooo thata not how the new system works

It's visible regardless of game

What you are mistaking is how it works

In New games only the numbers are a hashtag

Not invisible

So instead of #5589 it would look like 5589 on old games due to old games won't accept # or symbols

So in the new system it would be # (lowercase ) 5589 it is only smaller BUT not invisible just like discord

The hashtag is mandatory if you choose a gamertag that is already taken it lets you be unique on the system while having your name you want just like 1 or 2 for the sake of guest accounts

People begged for the ability to have their own name this released the names with hashtags to makr them unique
Thema:

1. Why is a Gamertag rollout that happened in 2019 not effective in games releasing in 2021? - Similar Threads - Why Gamertag rollout

2. Why do so few games support the modern gamertag system?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why do so few games support the modern gamertag system?: I changed my gamertag to something that was already taken, and I was under the impression that in games from before the change my gamertag would appear like "name1234" but going forward it would...
  3. Why hasn’t my gamertag changed?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why hasn’t my gamertag changed?: Hi, 2 days ago I used a egift card to change my xbox gamertag. The gamertag still hasn’t changed. I have tried logging in and out, and I have tried restarting my xbox yet it has not changed. I...
  4. SOS: Why do I have 2 gamertags? Is there a fix?

in XBoX Accessibility
    SOS: Why do I have 2 gamertags? Is there a fix?: I’ve recently changed my gamer tag and for some reason my previous tag is being shown above my current tag + has [CORE] sitting next to it. Does anybody have a solution for this? I changed tags...
  5. Why is my new gamertag "not allowed"

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why is my new gamertag "not allowed": I'm trying to change my gamertag to rily8329 which is what it was in an old xbox account from the 360 days. The old accounts gamertag has been changed to something else but when I go to change my...
  6. Why has xbox blatantly humoured my gamertag change?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why has xbox blatantly humoured my gamertag change?: I have attempted to change my gamertag after completing mind numbing circles through the internet, only to reveal that xbox has NOT changed my gamertag! But would you adam and eve it the next time...
  7. i changed my gamertag and it got changed back,i'm wondering why it got changed

in XBoX Accessibility
    i changed my gamertag and it got changed back,i'm wondering why it got changed: it was a free name change too so im really confused whats the problem 8dd660c0-8970-4193-bbc4-6e09e6c58455
  8. Can anyone tell me why Sjchor cant be used as a gamertag?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Can anyone tell me why Sjchor cant be used as a gamertag?: The name Sjchor has always been my gamer tag in all games but it says that it is not available and I'm not sure why. the meaning of it is my first initial, middle initial, and last name. I don't...
  9. Why do I have 2 gamertags when I tried to just change the original one?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why do I have 2 gamertags when I tried to just change the original one?: I tried to change my gamertag to Vryrt. I paid for it and everything, but it did not change my gamertag, it just added some third name under my gamertag on my gamercard. I did not want to add a...
  10. Why does my old gamertag still show above new one after purchasing a new name?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why does my old gamertag still show above new one after purchasing a new name?: Recently purchased a new gamertag, but it still shows my old name above new name. Anyone know why? [img] 39aea6a9-41ab-4d54-b546-3e09446c7d8d