Why has my latency jumped from 10 to 170+?

Discus and support Why has my latency jumped from 10 to 170+? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; there are no issues with my network provider. I’ve run a ping test online with a Melbourne server and it gave me the same results that my Xbox gives, I... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Ahmed Alameddine, Nov 26, 2022.

1. Why has my latency jumped from 10 to 170+?

there are no issues with my network provider. I’ve run a ping test online with a Melbourne server and it gave me the same results that my Xbox gives, I then changed the server to Sydney and my latency had suddenly dropped to its original (10ms or so). Is my Xbox connected to a Melbourne server? How can I fix my latency?

:)

Ahmed Alameddine, Nov 26, 2022
  2. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Hi and thanks for reaching Microsoft Xbox gamer's community. My name is Josef.
    I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft Xbox user like you.

Hope you're doing great today despite this Ahmed

Usually these latency problems are related to the network itself.
    If you have the console connected via Wi-Fi this can happen more frequently

But let’s try to improve your latency, for this please try first everything from this article:
    https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/Hardware-Ne...

Let me know how it goes
  3. Tezzerrific Win User

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

xcloud is a joke though, you turn on the pad and 10 seconds later the action appears, yes slightly exaggerated but the latency for cloud gaming is not the future and never will be. i have even tried xcloud on a gigabit connection with 10ms ping to several hundred miles away and still has huge latency. until they get the latency down to a hardwired controller on a pc then it will be useless.

its like going from 144fps to 30fps, thats the feeling you get when playing xcloud latency jump from a few ms to seconds.
  4. Blue Fox-CDDEB496-1F Win User

HDMI Passthrough Latency

Hi BigWhiskey91,

I can confirm that the HDMI input has approx 170 milli-seconds of latency. On top of a typical display lag, you're looking at over 200ms of overall latency.

I have my xbox 360 going through it now and it's un-playable.

FYI ... Method of measurement : I modified an xbox 360 controller with a light sensor and created an xna app that measures display lag by flashing the display and waiting for a response from the modified controller.

Xbox one is great ... but stick with passive content on the hdmi input.
  5. f00xm4n Win User

plugging my xbox upto my TiVo box

It's not so much a sign of stability, but less jumps to your ISP/Microsoft. I would imagine most of the US have a better latency for that particular test. For example Titanfall which uses west europe sever has a 20ms latency :)
  6. Farscape247 Win User

Cloud gaming compression.

not just about pure connection speed, it is latency that they have to account for, pumping more bitrate will introduce latency, you don't see this much with standard video content that you watch as it can buffer that, but with games latency is felt with the controls, press jump and if you have to much latency you will not see your character jump anywhere from .3 to 1.5 seconds which is the worse.

upload and download latency being very low is crucial for cloud gaming and with the current internet infrastructure around the world is difficult to work with.

unless you live next to a data center then you have to live with it.
Thema:

1. Why has my latency jumped from 10 to 170+? - Similar Threads - Why has latency

2. Party chat has stopped working why? X

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Party chat has stopped working why? X: We’ve always had party chat and suddenly stopped and can’t get it back on x 03d109a8-a5b8-47b4-83a1-e85bf56fea4f
  3. why is my refunds taking so long it has been over a month

in XBoX on Windows
    why is my refunds taking so long it has been over a month: i requested a refund for multiple items and i got them approved but i havent got my money back and it has been a very long time now when it says on the website could take up to a week of time but...
  4. Real life hero has to be 32 characters long why is that.my title is real life fucking hero...

in XboX Insiders
    Real life hero has to be 32 characters long why is that.my title is real life fucking hero...: All these games on video i have done in real life.im not cutting down video games but doing them in excess cant be too healthy.iIt will affect you negatively in some sociall or physical aspect as...
  5. Why everyone has 100 packet loss

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why everyone has 100 packet loss: Why does all of my friends (include me ) have packet loss today .It isn’t a ISP problem nor a router cause I checked it . It’s really annoying for competitive players...
  6. Xbox Game Bar no longer has "copy link" button. Why is that?

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox Game Bar no longer has "copy link" button. Why is that?: Hi, For the past month or so I have been having capturing clips using the Xbox Game Bar and I would usually send to the Xbox App by pressing copy link. This option isn't available anymore. I...
  7. Why has my development mode stopped working?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why has my development mode stopped working?: So I've been using development mode for about 2 years now and this morning I tried to open the app on my series x and It appears to be wiped. I'm being prompted to set it up again and enter a code...
  8. Why has my xbox uninstalled all of my games? And why isnt my external drive showing up?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why has my xbox uninstalled all of my games? And why isnt my external drive showing up?: Alright so I was literally just on my xbox last night and EVERYTHING was as it should be. But once I got back on this morning all of my games were uninstalled, every single one of them. Not to...
  9. My Son has FC24 on Xbox Series S and has added a friend who has a PS5... why can't they...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My Son has FC24 on Xbox Series S and has added a friend who has a PS5... why can't they...: The Cross Play feature is enabled, they are friends but when he tries to add him to play a game he isn't there for selection in the Online friends list. In fact it doesn't even show the Online...
  10. Why does MW3 (2023) overheat my console? No other game has done it.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does MW3 (2023) overheat my console? No other game has done it.: My mw3 (2023) has been crashing constantly. It isn’t sitting in a tv stand or anything. It is in an open space. I have hard reset the console, moved where it is plugged in at, and have factory...