Why doesn't headphone mode switch based on sound input format?

Discus and support Why doesn't headphone mode switch based on sound input format? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Dolby Laboratories says Dolby headphone app works best with Dolby encoded movies on DVD, Blu-ray. 3d and 4k discs. They do not want to bother trying to... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by TripleTopper321, Jul 25, 2022.

1. Why doesn't headphone mode switch based on sound input format?

Dolby Laboratories says Dolby headphone app works best with Dolby encoded movies on DVD, Blu-ray. 3d and 4k discs. They do not want to bother trying to decode DTS movies or lpcm movies.

Same with DTS but flipping the names.

Both of them would admit that if the movie was encoded in the other guy's format that they should use the other guy's headphone converter because they're made to fit hand in glove.

If that's the recommendation from Dolby and DTS, and if most other standalone equipments can deal with both Dolby and DTS soundtracks as well as lpcm, then why can't the Xbox auto switch between those three formats.

Why would one want every movie to be decoded in Dolby or DTS headphone, when even they don't recommend that.

Add a fifth option in headphone sound called "best match".

The soundtracks sound dead on accurate in terms of 3D soundscape like in the same way that expert shooter players can pinpoint where the aim and fire and where to dodge by sound alone. But the only way that works in movies is if you keep likes with likes. Mixing formats makes it sound blah.

:)

TripleTopper321, Jul 25, 2022
  2. SwordofWhedon Win User

Any of those will work with any audio source. How well depends on the source.

The audio is already decoded to LPCM. TrueHD and DTS master are just zip files for PCM. Any kind of post processing like these modules is added after being decoded.

Dolby has had home systems that work along similar principles since Pro-Logic in the 90s, which provided a center and mono surround channel extracted from information in the 2-channel signal. If the track was not mastered for DPL. It still would do it’s best to provide one.

These modules take the decoded audio, and while they may read flags in the signal are still a post processing mode like any you’d find on a physical receiver (functionally similar to sound eq modes like “dance hall” or “rock concert”), though far more complex.

I’m not sure what you mean by “connual”.
  3. Lucas Lauer Win User

4. Lucas Lauer Win User

On the link above about the Xbox Idea Hub, it says:

"We welcome responses from any member of the Xbox or gaming community who feels they have a great idea relevant to an existing Idea Drive. Whether you’re a current or former Xbox Insider, or even someone who hasn’t heard of our program, we highly encourage you to get involved!"

So you should add it there. Here on the forum there is no Microsoft or Xbox employee that is responsible for developing/implementing new features.
  5. TripleTopper321 Win User

It's very hard to get things done in Microsoft because one minute they tell you post on the Xbox insiders Reddit and then the second minute they tell you that it's only for the Insiders special new test OS stuff and not for the current version of Xbox.

I don't know where to go with this stuff I go to the places publicly where you should go, but nothing happens

There's like four or five different Xbox places pointing to each other and each sloughing off the responsibility.

Where does the buck stop?

I understand you have to climb a few hurdles to get there but it should work.

By the way the Dolby Atmos headphone app sounds great with any Dolby movie but sounds average with any DTS or LPCM movie.

Simile the DTs X headphone app sounds great with any DTS movie but sounds average with any Dolby or lpcm movie.

I never tried it but I assume Windows Sonic sounds best with lpcm movies directly.

By the way I have it set it so it outputs to headphone so therefore the processing is done before it reaches the surround processor which would be external of the Xbox because the outside surround processor comes after the soundnis passsed out on the Xbox.

Since the surround sound box processes the sound after it goes to the Xbox then it is not the Xbox that processes it into lpcm but the box after the Xbox which processes the Dolby or DTS or native lpcm.
  6. TripleTopper321 Win User

That was a midtyping of "communal"

I understand that LPCM is seven or more individual channels where each speaker represents a single sound Direction.

However I've heard of a device and actually been using on the 360 a Turtle Beach DSS. It takes the input from the toslink port which I assume is coded Dolby 5.1. (it could be coded DTS to but this device doesn't have a DTS decoder) and directly translates it to a two-track headphone sound which sounds like a 3D soundscape.

The Turtle Beach DSS gave very functional directionalism.

I thought the Dolby Atmos headphone app takes any format that is Dolby communal meaning meant for multiple exterior speakers and converts it to two-tracked Dolby headphone.

Only problem is it only works with Dolby stuff.

Thankfully that's what the DTS app is for. It directly converts DTS to two track headphone.

For the Dolby DTS and lpcm to be selected before the conversion accurately the logic must take place to check before those sounds convert which means that if it's converted to lpcm it's too late for a pure Dolby or a pure DTS solution.

And yes I've taken an AC3 soundtrack of a laser disc ran it post AC3 digitization into a Turtle Beach DSS and got accurate headphone sounds and even recordable on a two-track device like a VHS or beta recorder.

There are three ways you could make 3D soundscapes. You could preserve the individual portions in six main directions a center direction for speech and a subwoofer. Or you could convert that to a two-track soundtrack that sounds three-dimensional.

The only catch of it sounding three-dimensional correctly is the form it takes and how it's set up.

It's as old as Nintendo versus Sega. Nintendo decided to use headphone surround because when you have giant headphones on your ears you could control the acoustics around your ears therefore be guaranteed symmetric acoustics therefore can simulate 3D with a single soundtrack on each year.

Sega went the other one which later became known as sound bars, which was Q Sound. Make sure the speakers are pointed both straight ahead both at the same height and both equidistant to the TV. When you have those three conditions it sounds like perfect surround even though it's only two sources.

I think one of those large multi hundreds of multi thousand dollar surround sound boxes take what the native track is assuming an ideal conditions and rebalances it to where the acoustics and the speakers lay.

There's a reason why a lot of gamers wear headphones so they could tell when someone sneak it up behind them or can point at the right angle where the bullets are coming from. That's The Power of surround headphones. If that's not true then explain how people could pick off people behind them when they're not in picture.
Thema:

1. Why doesn't headphone mode switch based on sound input format? - Similar Threads - Why doesn't headphone

2. Hello, could you help me with why my keyboard doesn't work in sea of thieves on xbox?

in XBoX on Windows
    Hello, could you help me with why my keyboard doesn't work in sea of thieves on xbox?: Hello, could you help me with why my keyboard doesn't work in sea of thieves on xbox? a7fb3d03-9704-4297-a118-761e51fe8ed9
  3. Why doesn't my controller and wheel/pedals work in Forza 5 anymore.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why doesn't my controller and wheel/pedals work in Forza 5 anymore.: Hi everyone. I really needs some help. I have an Xbox Series X, two hand controllers and one Thrustmaster TMX wheel and pedals. The Xbox and controllers are up to date and so is the driver for...
  4. why my Xbox 360 doesn't open in my TV ?

in XBoX on Windows
    why my Xbox 360 doesn't open in my TV ?: why my Xbox 360 is not opening in my tv ? it's coming black and say go error. go to Xbox. com/support and the on/off botton comme red and the console is very hot....
  5. why my Xbox 360 doesn't open in my TV ?

in XBoX on Windows
    why my Xbox 360 doesn't open in my TV ?: why my Xbox 360 is not opening in my tv ? it's coming black and say go error. go to Xbox. com/support and the on/off botton comme red and the console is very hot....
  6. Why doesn't my Series X work at 120fps?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why doesn't my Series X work at 120fps?: When set for 120fps, the controller continually disconnects it self every 5 or so seconds f5e51840-aa9a-4a45-b1ea-d921f0f3593e
  7. Why doesn't xbox gamepass pc site work in Montenegro at all

in XBoX on Windows
    Why doesn't xbox gamepass pc site work in Montenegro at all: Hi, Website for gamepass pc doesn't work in Montenegro, even though it says that it is supported region. It displays error: The URL may be misspelled or the page you're looking for is no longer...
  8. Why doesn't Discord audio on Xbox go through TV speakers?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why doesn't Discord audio on Xbox go through TV speakers?: No sounds from Discord VC is played on TV speakers. The chat overlay shows that sound is being played, and all sound goes through when a headset is attached, but if no headset is attached it just...
  9. Why doesn't xbox give us these new features upgrades?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why doesn't xbox give us these new features upgrades?: This is a message directly for xbox, why doesn't xbox release an update for us that can allow us to stream straight to YouTube and add the chat on our hud wether streaming to twitch or YouTube. We...
  10. Xbox controller doesn't show up why?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox controller doesn't show up why?: I have Xbox series s controller and I want to play with it on pc but whenever I try to connect it doesn't show up. I have gamebird 4.0 Bluetooth dongle. Microsoft please help me. I have windows...