Why does remote play only work at home?

Discus and support Why does remote play only work at home? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; When I do remote play on my laptop at home it works just fine, but when I take my console back to college and try to remote play on my laptop it... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Origin1GS, Oct 31, 2022.

1. Origin1GS
    Origin1GS Guest

When I do remote play on my laptop at home it works just fine, but when I take my console back to college and try to remote play on my laptop it doesn’t work all of a sudden.

:)

Origin1GS, Oct 31, 2022
  2. Ronnieee Win User

Hi there! This is Ronnie, an independent adviser.

Nice to meet you and I hope you are having a great day!

I understand you need help on your remote play problem.

Just a heads up, remote play features needs stable connection to the network and that has no barriers at least.

Using a network from public sources like your college dorm could be an issue because the network their is secured and is not that stable for you to play through remote play.

I suggest using hotspot instead if you have a stable connection from your phone.

Hope that helps!
  3. MILLERTIME9235 Win User

Xbox Remote Play does not work on the go! Please help!

Why even have remote play then? Isn’t that kind of a terrible feature? If you need to be in the same location as your Xbox to get it to work, why not just play on your console? Shouldn’t the point of remote play to be able to play on the go when you’re away from your home?
  4. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Xbox remote play only working on home network

Hi, if possible please try using a different router, exists the possibility that your current router is blocking incoming connections when you're outside.

But before that, check if you can white list the MAC addresses for your mobile devices via router settings
  5. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Hi and thanks for reaching Microsoft Xbox gamer's community. My name is Josef.

I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft Xbox user like you.

Hope you're doing great today despite this CoolAchiever472

May I know if you can try leaving connected your Xbox consoles to a completely different wifi network?

For example, share mobile data temporarily via wifi hotspot and connect your Xbox in that way

Then connect one of your mobile devices (the one that you're not using to share mobile data) to the home network and test if you're able to access in that way.

----------

In the meantime, when you say "I have restarted the Xbox's", do you mean power it off and power it on?

Or power cycling the console?

1. Turn off your console by pressing the Xbox button on the front of the console for about 10 seconds, until it shuts down completely.

2. Unplug the console's power cable from the console and from the power outlet. Wait 5 minutes.

Important: Be sure to wait at least 5 minutes. This step resets the power supply.

3. Plug the console power cable back in.

4. Press the Xbox button on your console to turn it on.

Or instead factory resetting the consoles?

Settings > System > Console info > reset
  6. CoolAchiever472 Win User

Josef,

Thanks for your response.

1. Unfortunately my mobile coverage at home is very poor so I can’t connect to anything other than my home network. If I can’t solve this any other way I may try a different router that I have.

2. Since posting this I have found that I am able to stream to my Android phone when it is not on my home network. I did a number of things in between it not working and when it started to work today so I’m not sure which made the difference. I am still, however, unable to stream to my iPhone 13. So that cuts out a lot of the potential causes. I can stream to my iPhone on my home network.

3. I have only soft restarted the consoles - not a full power off as you suggest. I will try that, although as I say above is seems unlikely, given that I can stream to Android but not iOS.
Thema:

1. Why does remote play only work at home? - Similar Threads - Why does remote

2. Why does black ops three automatically set my nat type to strict?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does black ops three automatically set my nat type to strict?: I am trying to play some black ops three zombies with my friends but I cannot join them because bo3 says my nat type is strict. But when I go to my Xbox's network settings it says open and all...
  3. Why does the Xbox game bar not let me talk to my friends in a party.

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why does the Xbox game bar not let me talk to my friends in a party.: I'm not able to talk to my friends in a party chat while I'm on computer It pops up a message that states this "Background apps permissions for Xbox are turned off. Other may not be able to hear...
  4. Why does my Xbox series x keeps on saying installation stopped when I'm installing doom...

in XBoX on Windows
    Why does my Xbox series x keeps on saying installation stopped when I'm installing doom...: I got Doom Eternal from Gamestop, and it keeps saying the installation stopped for the past three days. I have tried clearing local saved games but that did not work, I tried restarting,...
  5. Why does sound only come from one external speaker when using the optical output?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does sound only come from one external speaker when using the optical output?: I have a pair of speakers plugged into my Xbox One S using the optical port and sound only comes out one side. I’ve already verified that both speakers do work. I’ve tried changing a few settings...
  6. Why does my xbox keep revving and why wont my game install

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my xbox keep revving and why wont my game install: I bought Black Ops III and it’s been installing but it stopped at 93.8% and it said the disk may have been damaged or it is dirty. I cleaned it and put it back in to try again but when i put it in...
  7. Why does my series x do this

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my series x do this: since i got my series x whenever i turn it on and on the home screen it says connect to the xbox network after 10 to 30 seconds it connects by itself. Is this normal?...
  8. Why does xbox like shafting people

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does xbox like shafting people: I get home from a long days work and i turn on my console to see an update for the game i play. It installs then gets stuck at 1.2% finishing things up. I wait about 20 minutes for nothing to...
  9. Why does my suzuka 980 steering wheel shut down my remote every time it connects

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my suzuka 980 steering wheel shut down my remote every time it connects: Every time I hook up my suzuka steering wheel 98 it shuts my remote down and it says my controller came disconnected what do I do 6343fcbb-3c2f-4493-a597-8d5c086fe4bf
  10. Why does Remote Play from XBox to Windows 10 (on the same network), require outbound...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does Remote Play from XBox to Windows 10 (on the same network), require outbound...: I'll outright say this is just asinine. I'm trying to remote play from my Series X to my Windows 10 PC that exist on the same network; however, the video quality is absolute garbage and completely...