Why does my PC think the joystick is being pushed up?

Discus and support Why does my PC think the joystick is being pushed up? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I've been having a problem with Windows applications that take input from Xbox controllers (the start menu, Windows Photos, the Xbox apps, etc.)... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by VaughnHawks, Nov 26, 2022.

1. VaughnHawks
    VaughnHawks Guest

I've been having a problem with Windows applications that take input from Xbox controllers (the start menu, Windows Photos, the Xbox apps, etc.) thinking that I'm pushing up on the left joystick. This problem only occurs when I have an Xbox One or Xbox Series X/S controller connected to my PC (not any other controller), and after a large amount of time. The controller's joystick is not drifting, other programs that display the inputs for connected controllers show that the stick is in the neutral position. But windows apps think that a controller is pushing up on the left joystick, which manages to make the start menu almost unusable, and some apps harder to navigate. When the problem occurs, it is not rectified by unplugging any devices or uninstalling any XINPUT devices in the device manager. Restarting any of the affected apps doesn't work either. A reboot will always solve the problem though.

What I want to know is what exactly is causing this problem and how do I stop it from happening when I plug in another Xbox controller?

I'm using Windows 10 Version 22H2. If it's relevant, I also have Logitech G HUB installed.

:)

VaughnHawks, Nov 26, 2022
  2. VaughnHawks Win User

The issue only crops up after a long uptime.

On a Microsoft Surface Studio, the issue has cropped up many times from 2017 until now. Logitech G HUB was not installed when the issue first occurred, so it can be ruled out. It has also happened over Bluetooth, USB, and something else the old Xbox One controller uses. It did always have Steam though.

On my main PC, the issue consistently pops up every time an Xbox controller is plugged in. The amount of time it takes for it to come up is very long and likely inconsistent. The issue didn't happen on this PC today because I had a random PS4 controller plugged in all day

I have tried connecting an Xbox One S controller to a surface book 1, and the issue has not cropped up in 2.5 hours despite outdated drivers and never launching some Xbox apps, which might be because it doesn't have steam, but I don't have enough time to test that on the main PC because it usually takes hours to appear. It could also be because the issue crops up after more time or after more joystick usage.

Here's also a list of the apps affected that I know of, all of which are Microsoft apps that take input from Xbox controls: 3D Viewer, Alarms & Clock, Calculator, MS Calendar, Movies & TV, Paint 3D, MS Photos, Snip & Sketch, Xbox app, Windows Store, Settings, and the Start Menu. I have also stopped using Logitech hub and Steam for now.
  3. Geri M. Win User

Hello VaughnHawks,

We haven't heard from you in 72 hours, so we assume that your issue has already been resolved. We will not be monitoring this thread moving forward so, if you need further assistance, please create a new thread to discuss these concerns by clicking this link: Create a new question or start a discussion (microsoft.com)

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
  4. VaughnHawks Win User

Hello, thank you for your reply. To answer the questions,

1. My graphics driver has recently been updated. I am a little confused about what gamer service means in your reply, but I do have steam and every program I play games with at latest versions.
    2. My device was not updated recently, but I believe it is on the latest update.
    3. Due to the nature of the problem, there is no error message.

What is happening is that programs think that I'm holding the stick up on a controller, even though the controller is not being touched (or there is no controller.)

So windows apps will accept the up input and move the cursor up, scroll up, or anything else bound to up. What's weird is that none of the games I play think the controller stick is being pushed up, and that the problem persists after I disconnect all controllers.
  5. Geri M. Win User

Hi VaughnHawks,

Welcome to Xbox Community Forums. We appreciate for sharing your concern with us and we hope that you are doing well today.

We understand the inconvenience caused. Let us check on this together and sort this out to assist you. However, before we proceed, we would like to ask some questions about it.

1. Are your gamer service and graphic drivers updated?
    2. Did you update your device lately?
    3. Do you have error message so we can sort out what really the root cause of the issue?
    While waiting for your response, we would like you to check on these articles for some steps of troubleshooting.

We are looking forward for your next response.

Sincerely,

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
  6. VaughnHawks Win User

Very sorry for no response, I haven't had the time to access my computer long enough. The issue is still ongoing, and I will reply with more details tomorrow.
Thema:

1. Why does my PC think the joystick is being pushed up? - Similar Threads - Why does joystick

2. Why does my Xbox series x keeps on saying installation stopped when I'm installing doom...

in XBoX on Windows
    Why does my Xbox series x keeps on saying installation stopped when I'm installing doom...: I got Doom Eternal from Gamestop, and it keeps saying the installation stopped for the past three days. I have tried clearing local saved games but that did not work, I tried restarting,...
  3. Why does sound only come from one external speaker when using the optical output?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does sound only come from one external speaker when using the optical output?: I have a pair of speakers plugged into my Xbox One S using the optical port and sound only comes out one side. I’ve already verified that both speakers do work. I’ve tried changing a few settings...
  4. Why does my xbox keep revving and why wont my game install

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my xbox keep revving and why wont my game install: I bought Black Ops III and it’s been installing but it stopped at 93.8% and it said the disk may have been damaged or it is dirty. I cleaned it and put it back in to try again but when i put it in...
  5. Why does my series x do this

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my series x do this: since i got my series x whenever i turn it on and on the home screen it says connect to the xbox network after 10 to 30 seconds it connects by itself. Is this normal?...
  6. Why does xbox like shafting people

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does xbox like shafting people: I get home from a long days work and i turn on my console to see an update for the game i play. It installs then gets stuck at 1.2% finishing things up. I wait about 20 minutes for nothing to...
  7. Why does my x rocker chair when plugged it my household socket and turned on does it set...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my x rocker chair when plugged it my household socket and turned on does it set...: Why does my x rocker chair when plugged it in my household socket and turned on does it set sombodys house alarm start blaring thanks in advance 3446b748-880c-421d-b13b-a923768fc288
  8. Why does my Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000, Black work on my personal desktop but not work on...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000, Black work on my personal desktop but not work on...: I work remote. My team can hear me on Zoom or Skype on my personal desktop. But in Citrix and the cati or whatever that software is that we use to do surveys, one or both of these aren't working...
  9. Why does my Xbox Discord stream not pick up my background music?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Why does my Xbox Discord stream not pick up my background music?: I usually play games with Spotify or Soundcloud music playing in the background. Lately, I've decided to try streaming, first testing in my own server to see if it works. I realized if I listen...
  10. Why does my Xbox disconnect from 5g WiFi when I’m downloading games?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Xbox disconnect from 5g WiFi when I’m downloading games?: When I am downloading a game, my Xbox will hold a 105+ mbps download speed. But starting a couple of months ago, my Xbox randomly disconnects from the WiFi only when I’m downloading games. Does...