Why does microsoft store the three digit secure code with the payment card information?

Discus and support Why does microsoft store the three digit secure code with the payment card information? in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; When adding a payment card to a Microsoft product (like an xBox account) microsoft ask for, and stores, the three digit secure code from the back of... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by Ken 64, Nov 19, 2021.

1. Ken 64
    Ken 64 Guest

Why does microsoft store the three digit secure code with the payment card information?

When adding a payment card to a Microsoft product (like an xBox account) microsoft ask for, and stores, the three digit secure code from the back of the credit card. While this make purchasing things easy, it allows anyone with access to the physical device and profile to spend money from the payment method without restriction. If the platform required the entry of the 3 digit code each time a purchase was made, the cardholder would have more security.

:)

Ken 64, Nov 19, 2021
  2. ngocphi Win User

It doesnt

You misunderstand how pos system works

No-one can read your security code and noone can read your pin

This is done by your payment processor not ANY vendor

Usually Visa or.mastercard

Each time you enter a card you must.enter the security code each time which sends to.the payment processor for validation

This only has to be done once and only for payment verification after that the vendor is approved

And this is why physical access to a card is a MUST for new retailers that you shop at.

No-one has access to your code but anyonre with physical access to. The card

However since you stored your payment method with visa or master card approval with vendors you don't need to reapprove

No-one not.even visa has access to your code nor can you ask anyone for it.

It is keyed to your card and acco@t with your cc

Not any vendor

This is visa and MasterCard rules not any vendors

Thars why your bank asks does anyone else have physical access to your card

If not then it's someone accessing your account not your card numbers which aren't even stored

They are encrypted noone can actually see tour numbers just verify them by entering

Unless you are sony which case good luck in your next life cause your name is out there and there is no end to the sony hack
  3. SwordofWhedon Win User

You can set a pin on purchases in your account settings
  4. ngocphi Win User

Yes but are misunderstanding how it works

The security code isn't stored

You already authorize the vendor.to.make.transactions on your behalf

Whenever you give your SON unlimited access to your account is a completely different situation

He does not have access to your info but are buying on behalf of yoursrlf

This.is why your cc company tells you never give anyone unlimited access to your account.and all transactions are your responcibility

Noone should.be o. Your account and children should be on their own account

Storing your payment info is normal proccess just ask any retailer

They do not have access fo your pin or your security code

This does NOT stop someone like your child from .buying games which has nothing to do with the security code but parrental responcibility

Really you would give your child.a creditcard and blame the card or store when he charges 5000 in games to your account?

Your creditcard company will say otherwise

It's your responcibility

There is no etailer who doesn't allow you to store your cc for payment and it's NORMAL and legally required because even though it clears you may claim fraud later and they need proof
  5. Ken 64 Win User

Thanks for your response. I didn't explain myself well enough. Microsoft collects and stores your payment card information, Name, number, expiry and secure code (3 digits on the back of the card) to facilitate purchases. When a purchase is made, it applies that information against the sale. You may be completely correct, Microsoft may never look at the information during the transaction. However, if this information gets onto a child's account, say a 17 year old teen, they (or any friends that they allow to play on their xBox) can make any purchases (games, points, skins, etc.) they want without having to key in anything to prove that they are authorized to make the purchase. If Microsoft was to either require them to key the security code before accepting a purchase the unauthorized purchase could not be made. I know that many people will say that children's activity should be carefully monitored but that isn't the way it works in reality. You can't sit with them for hours on end, day after day, to make sure they don't make any in-game purchases, it just isn't feasible. And pretending that kids don't spend hours on their xBoxes is also a fantasy. They do, for weeks on end whenever a new game comes out.
  6. Ken 64 Win User

That, I was not aware of. Thank you!
Thema:

1. Why does microsoft store the three digit secure code with the payment card information? - Similar Threads - Why does microsoft

2. How to unfreeze account and, why does Microsoft not send me an email?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How to unfreeze account and, why does Microsoft not send me an email?: When I try to login to my xbox account it asks for password which I forgot so i click send me a code via email. It never sends me a code. I copy and paste my email to verify it multiple times and...
  3. Why does the verification for Microsoft points continuously say I don’t have a mobile...

in XBoX on Windows
    Why does the verification for Microsoft points continuously say I don’t have a mobile...: I’ve been trying to redeem my Microsoft points for almost 6 months now with continuous problems. When I try to redeem the points and it goes through verification, it tells me there isn’t a number...
  4. Why Does it Say "Share" Instead of Install on my Microsoft and Xbox websites?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why Does it Say "Share" Instead of Install on my Microsoft and Xbox websites?: Just bought a 100$ Pro Controller and not only is it hard to find but when I finally found a so called app that accompanied this Controller there isn't even an option to install it. Look, I get...
  5. Why won’t it let me text in chat? It says the my Microsoft account does not allow that or...

in XBoX on Windows
    Why won’t it let me text in chat? It says the my Microsoft account does not allow that or...: So I got suspended recently and I finally am able to get back on and I realize I can’t type in chat because it says my Microsoft account doesn’t allow that. I have tried everything please help me....
  6. Why does Microsoft Flight sim keep locking out my microsoft account password?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why does Microsoft Flight sim keep locking out my microsoft account password?: If I leave the game inactive overnight, I wake up with an email saying 'We think that someone might have accessed the Microsoft account ****." And now my password needs to be reset. Well, I've...
  7. Why was Microsoft Rewards not added in Morocco, the only country that does not have this...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why was Microsoft Rewards not added in Morocco, the only country that does not have this...: We ask Microsoft to add this service in Morocco f5d199da-3a6d-4317-b398-b124fdb1768e
  8. Why does Microsoft forbid us from playing Minecraft Java Edition with our kids now?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does Microsoft forbid us from playing Minecraft Java Edition with our kids now?: I've been playing Minecraft with my kids for 15 years and our youngest is starting to get into it now too. So, I created a Microsoft account for her (cause that's mandatory now) and bought her...
  9. why does microsoft say i didn't £69.99 for mw2?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    why does microsoft say i didn't £69.99 for mw2?: why does microsoft say i didn't £69.99 for mw2? give me a refund your own records say i paid for it 318ada7e-4014-4e39-907b-81342fca63f5
  10. Why does it say my microsoft account doesnt exist but it still exist because my minecraft...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why does it say my microsoft account doesnt exist but it still exist because my minecraft...: Please, i really need help with this problem, im freaked out f9f73ff6-5331-413f-a7f6-ca29855b8389