Why does Microsoft consistently mislead about XBox cloud storage limits and and their...

Discus and support Why does Microsoft consistently mislead about XBox cloud storage limits and and their... in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I am asking this because my autistic 8 year-old daughter loves playing Minecraft on XBox Series X. It's her happy place--where she goes for solace. She... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Malcolm Tiberius Reynolds, Jul 18, 2023.

1. Why does Microsoft consistently mislead about XBox cloud storage limits and and their...

I am asking this because my autistic 8 year-old daughter loves playing Minecraft on XBox Series X. It's her happy place--where she goes for solace. She spends hours building all kinds of things. However, because she likes to fly around in creative, her worlds get fairly large. We started getting errors pertaining to not being able to save additional game information to/sync with the cloud just after upgrading from XBox One to XBox X. I called support, who only regurgitated basic suggestions like "turn it off and on again" or "do a soft reset." I did these things, and they did not help because they were not the problem. The problem is that around the time we upgraded, her saved world data crept up above 4GB--which is the magic, invisible cloud save limit that is not documented anywhere in the known universe. The primary concern was initially that her worlds would not be backed up in the cloud in case the console were to die, but quickly became the fact that the cloud storage limit was causing massive corruption to her worlds--either by overwriting the local save with an older one from the cloud when the world was loaded, or loading them with massive areas blown out of them like a bomb had gone off. It makes no sense to me why the local data should not be prioritized over the cloud data, or how a cloud storage limit should cause local saves to be corrupted. But it does.

Microsoft explicitly lies about the nature of the error we were seeing here:

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/games-apps/troubleshooting/cloud-storage-sync-error-messages

The error we get most often is "We can't save additional info for" Minecraft. However, the problem is NOT, as is mentioned in the above article, because the console is out of space--it has almost 800GB free on the local disk. It's because the cloud storage limit is 4GB. When I called support, they had no clue about this. Never once suggested it, or asked how much space we were using locally for saved games. Microsoft statements are also highly misleading here:

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/games-apps/game-setup-and-play/cloud-game-saves-faq

See "How much cloud storage do I have?" and "Can I copy all my saves to the cloud?" My daughter is not what I would call an avid gamer on the XBox, as she only plays the one game. There are no other games even installed. It also stands to reason that if the cloud space can grow as your game library grows, it should also be able to grow as your save space needs for that game grow. It clearly doesn't do this, but I feel that this text is misleading.

Finally, Microsoft's go-to suggestion seems to be to delete saved data to clear up space--but they do not suggest how much is needed to be deleted because they don't specify how much one has. They also don't make cloud storage accessible or manageable except to have it delete everything for a given game (which will immediately get filled up again as she loads her worlds, and so this suggestion seems pointless.) You can't play Minecraft offline either, so that is not an option. In an attempt to work around this, I used the "Manage game and addons" option for Minecraft and chose to move the Minecraft install to an external harddrive that I had installed so that I could perhaps make a backup of her saved data locally. What this actually did was delete all of the local data!! It does not tell you that it will do this at all. As a result, when we launched the game again, over a month's worth of her progress and 13 separate worlds were gone, because they hadn't been syncing to the cloud! But how could we know this without being able to see what was in the cloud!

As the parent of an autistic child who had to watch her cry and cry after realizing that so much of her work was gone, I can't tell you how much I now hate Microsoft and the whole cloud gaming concept.

So my question is, why? Why not just make it clear how much capacity the cloud has, or allow me to make local backups, or to disable the cloud altogether? Why this forcing of prioritization for something we don't even want? BTW, we had a Game Pass Ultimate subscription when all this was happening, which I promptly cancelled. We purchased the XBox X specifically for my daughter to play Minecraft, and it is literally the worst purchase I've ever made in my life.

:)

Malcolm Tiberius Reynolds, Jul 18, 2023
  2. CarTzy Win User

Why does Microsoft consistently mislead about XBox cloud storage limits and and their support knows nothing about it?

Hello Malcolm Tiberius Reynolds,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I'm sorry to hear about your frustration with the cloud storage feature. I understand that you want to have more control over your game data and backups. The cloud storage is designed to automatically sync your game progress across devices and platforms, and to free up space on your console.

I do not have a definite answer on how much exact storage you have per game, but you can check how much space is available or used by each game in the Settings menu. Though it wasn’t mentioned in this article the exact amount, it was noted here that if you save a lot, you may run out of cloud storage at a certain point, and it was suggested to delete some.

You can also make local backups of your game data by copying them to an external hard drive or a USB flash drive. To disable the cloud storage altogether, you can go to Settings > System > Storage > Clear local Xbox 360 storage.

This will delete all the cloud-synced data from your console, but not from the cloud itself. You can still access your cloud data on another console or device by signing in with your Microsoft account.

Please see: Xbox cloud game saves FAQ | Xbox Support

However, we also respect your preferences and feedback. Kindly provide Xbox with your feedback and suggestions by following the guide on the link below:

Provide feedback to Team Xbox | Xbox Support

We're looking forward to hearing from you. If there are any inquiries about our description or if there are any misconceptions, do reply to the post.
  3. Tezzarrific Win User

Why does Microsoft consistently mislead about XBox cloud storage limits and and their support knows nothing about it?

get a cheap laptop that supports minecrafts specs, no cloud on pc therefore all saves are local and do not have a storage limit, also you can backup the saves to an external device too and restore if needed. xbox consoles are very limited to what space is available in the cloud.
  4. Malcolm Tiberius Rey Win User

Hello,

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. However, almost everything you posted is completely inaccurate.

For example:

"...you can check how much space is available or used by each game in the Settings menu..." Nope, not for the cloud you can't.

"...You can also make local backups of your game data by copying them to an external hard drive or a USB flash drive. To disable the cloud storage altogether, you can go to Settings > System > Storage > Clear local Xbox 360 storage." Nope! Copying to a local drive, as I mentioned above, simply deletes the local save data and will not copy it back. I am also on an XBox X, not a 360, and no, you cannot disable cloud storage, nor does your sentence even make sense as it suggests deleting the local data is how you would disable cloud storage. Also, if you read my post, you'd know that the very last thing that I wanted to do was to delete the local data!

"This will delete all the cloud-synced data from your console, but not from the cloud itself. You can still access your cloud data on another console or device by signing in with your Microsoft account." Nope! My data wasn't in the cloud--the cloud is the problem!!!

Thank you for not reading my post and offering nothing whatsoever that was helpful. This is precisely why Microsoft support sucks so terribly, and why I wish I had never purchased an XBox in the first place.
  5. Tezzarrific Win User

if and when you do, download an application called gamesave manager, it is completely free and will backup all saves it finds including minecraft, i back mine up each week and save to a usb drive, this way if i somehow naff up i can simply restore the saves.
  6. Malcolm Tiberius Rey Win User

Thank you. I've gotten this advice elsewhere as well, and it is what I am going with. I'll never buy another Microsoft product again if I can help it.
Thema:

Why does Microsoft consistently mislead about XBox cloud storage limits and and their...

1. Why does Microsoft consistently mislead about XBox cloud storage limits and and their... - Similar Threads - Why does Microsoft

2. Why does microsoft support suck?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why does microsoft support suck?: They never truly have a grasp over the community and they aren't ever helpful. Multiple people i know who had Mojang/Minecraft Accounts who linked the accounts to microsoft accounts that some...
  3. Why are the controllers such a scam and does Microsoft plan on fixing them?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why are the controllers such a scam and does Microsoft plan on fixing them?: I have gone through so many Xbox controllers with stick drift it is ridiculous. I purchased the Xbox Series S just to have my controller conveniently get stick drift exactly 1 month after the...
  4. Why does Microsoft ban people for the most dumbest reasons?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why does Microsoft ban people for the most dumbest reasons?: I'm recently got a 2 day suspension ban on my account for posting on a LFG: " W 30 nuke cards 100c each, and OverDrive 70c each" with no appeal and customer support not being able to do anything...
  5. Why does my Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000, Black work on my personal desktop but not work on...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000, Black work on my personal desktop but not work on...: I work remote. My team can hear me on Zoom or Skype on my personal desktop. But in Citrix and the cati or whatever that software is that we use to do surveys, one or both of these aren't working...
  6. Why does Microsoft false advertise the Xbox series s?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does Microsoft false advertise the Xbox series s?: Why was the series s advertised with 512GB when in reality 112 of the 512 is used for god knows what and you don’t get a choice in that. But when you turn on the console and go into storage that’s...
  7. How to unfreeze account and, why does Microsoft not send me an email?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How to unfreeze account and, why does Microsoft not send me an email?: When I try to login to my xbox account it asks for password which I forgot so i click send me a code via email. It never sends me a code. I copy and paste my email to verify it multiple times and...
  8. Why does the verification for Microsoft points continuously say I don’t have a mobile...

in XBoX on Windows
    Why does the verification for Microsoft points continuously say I don’t have a mobile...: I’ve been trying to redeem my Microsoft points for almost 6 months now with continuous problems. When I try to redeem the points and it goes through verification, it tells me there isn’t a number...
  9. Why Does it Say "Share" Instead of Install on my Microsoft and Xbox websites?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why Does it Say "Share" Instead of Install on my Microsoft and Xbox websites?: Just bought a 100$ Pro Controller and not only is it hard to find but when I finally found a so called app that accompanied this Controller there isn't even an option to install it. Look, I get...
  10. Why won’t it let me text in chat? It says the my Microsoft account does not allow that or...

in XBoX on Windows
    Why won’t it let me text in chat? It says the my Microsoft account does not allow that or...: So I got suspended recently and I finally am able to get back on and I realize I can’t type in chat because it says my Microsoft account doesn’t allow that. I have tried everything please help me....