Why do i need to renew gold when i start sot, even though i own the game

Discus and support Why do i need to renew gold when i start sot, even though i own the game in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Every time I open Sea of Thieves, it says I need to renew my gold subscription even though I own it. I had gamepass for three months so maybe it's... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Milian Algrøy, May 11, 2023.

1. Why do i need to renew gold when i start sot, even though i own the game

Every time I open Sea of Thieves, it says I need to renew my gold subscription even though I own it. I had gamepass for three months so maybe it's that, but idk, I might sound stupid. If you could help, please let me know.

:)

Milian Algrøy, May 11, 2023
  2. Darhyl Mayte Amizola Win User

Hey Milian!

Nice to meet you! I'm Darhyl, a fellow gamer. I'm sorry you are experiencing this. I am here to help.

To answer your inquiry, Xbox game pass and Xbox live gold have different features.

For the Xbox game pass subscription, once subscribed, you will have access to 100+ games from Xbox game pass library which you can download for free as long as you have the subscription active on your account.

For Xbox live gold subscription, once subscribed, you will have access to online multiplayer features, without this subscription you won't be able to play games online.

Since the game Sea of Thieves requires an online feature to play it, you will need to have an active Xbox live gold subscription.

You can also check these links for further references:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/...

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/play

Thank you so much for your time! I hope you have a great day!
  3. Tezzarrific Win User

sea of thieves is an online only game, so if playing via console you need gold to play online.
  4. CarlosYabrudy Win User

Why are Games missing after I have purchased on Games with Gold for free?

When the update came before, that worked. This time around it is saying I do not even own Layers of Fear when i had it on xbox gold. It is saying i dont own Evolve or any other games that are on my DOWNLOADED history but not on any list.

I am telling you. Shenanigans. I might need to call microsoft support on this one as to why the games are showing as NOT OWNED by me anymore when I have never NOT had xbox live gold.
  5. Invoked by Red Win User

Why do i need to pay for game pass even though i bought a game

Games on Xbox have always required a subscription to play online multiplayer, whether it's a multiplayer only or duel (single and multiple game) has never made a difference. You buy the game to get access to core functionality (effectively a license to use it) but the subscription allows you access to the online services you're using.
  6. WPAK Win User

Why do i need to pay for game pass even though i bought a game

Hi there,

since there is basically no single player mode for this specific game a subscription for the online services is needed, in this case the Core subscription (formerly known as Xbox Live Gold) would be sufficient to be able to use the multiplayer part of this game
Thema:

1. Why do i need to renew gold when i start sot, even though i own the game - Similar Threads - Why need renew

2. Why is GTA V now saying I need a disc to play?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why is GTA V now saying I need a disc to play?: I bought GTA V with the game pass and it was the electronic version where it downloaded onto my Xbox 1 without needing the hard copy disc and it worked perfectly fine but now it’s giving me an...
  3. why the **** do i need to delete my god damn microsoft account just to get rid of a xbox...

in XBoX Accessibility
    why the **** do i need to delete my god damn microsoft account just to get rid of a xbox...: the ''masterminds'' at microsoft decided to make the ''delete xbox account'' feature into a ''delete microsoft account and everything else that it is connected to'' feature and i want it gone as...
  4. Why is my game saying "sign in needed" even though I am already signed into the xbox app?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why is my game saying "sign in needed" even though I am already signed into the xbox app?: I am already signed into the xbox app and when i launch forza horizon 4 on my pc, it says "sign in needed". I have already tried redownloading the game and the xbox app as well as signing in and...
  5. Why do I need online to install many xbox one games like:

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why do I need online to install many xbox one games like:: Why do I need to install games via online like- Mass Effect Legendary Edition Planet Coaster Walking Dead Destinies Jurassic world Evolution 2 c6839a48-e4f5-42bf-8ab0-ad59478ae1af
  6. Why can’t I play a game I own, it says I need to renew game pass but I have the game

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why can’t I play a game I own, it says I need to renew game pass but I have the game: I played r6 through game pass, I decided to buy the game then I went to go on it after playing and it said I need to get game pass, I have tried uninstalling r6 rendering my Xbox and nothing is...
  7. When I unplug my xbox to move it to a different room why does it need to update. It isn't...

in XBoX on Consoles
    When I unplug my xbox to move it to a different room why does it need to update. It isn't...: When I unplug my xbox to move it to a different room why does it need to update. It isn't even a couple of minutes a6043f89-fec2-47c0-83d5-0d3bde358e8f
  8. Why do I need to Buy Minecraft: Java Edition again?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why do I need to Buy Minecraft: Java Edition again?: [img] I just tried to log on to Minecraft and play some Java Edition while I am taking a break from work. The most peculiar thing pops up, "Buy Minecraft;" where the play button usually goes. I...
  9. Why is Xbox design lab saying that I need to put my name on my account when I already have?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why is Xbox design lab saying that I need to put my name on my account when I already have?: I want to order a controller off of the Xbox design lab, but when I hit proceed to check out it says I need to put my first and last name on my account. So I went in and put my name, but it is...
  10. Why does Xbox say I need to renew Game Pass?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does Xbox say I need to renew Game Pass?: I was recently gifted 3 months of GamePass Core and tried to play games such as Dead by Daylight, a very popular GamePass Core/GamePass Ultimate required game on Xbox, and it has continuously told...