Why do I keep disconnecting from Xbox Live after 5 minutes?

Discus and support Why do I keep disconnecting from Xbox Live after 5 minutes? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I am using a fairly new Xbox Series S (less than 3 months old) and my wired connection is constantly dropping out, it won’t stay connected for more... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Nathan Bull, Dec 5, 2023.

1. Nathan Bull
    Nathan Bull Guest

I am using a fairly new Xbox Series S (less than 3 months old) and my wired connection is constantly dropping out, it won’t stay connected for more than 5 minutes at a time. Wireless connection is working fine but it’s way too laggy to play games normally and up until a few days ago, wired connection has been working faultlessly. I have tried resetting my router, hard resetting my Xbox, different wires etc and having no luck. My Xbox will stay connected to the wired network until I try and play a game, then it instantly disconnects. Network testing on my Xbox shows no issues, no drop in download speed, 0% packet loss, low ping, please someone help before I lose my mind! I am also having no issues at all with any other devices on the same network!

:)

Nathan Bull, Dec 5, 2023
  2. Belen T.C. Win User

Hello Nathan,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

We understand you are having issues with connecting to Xbox Live on your Xbox Series S console. Let's work on this together and sort this out in timely manner for you to get back to gaming.

There are a few possible causes for this problem, such as a faulty Ethernet cable, a damaged port on your router or Xbox, a software glitch, or an interference from another device.

Here are a few things you can try:

- Make sure your Ethernet cable is securely plugged into both your router and your Xbox.

- Check the port on your router and your Xbox for any signs of damage or dirt. If you see any, try cleaning it gently with a dry cloth or a cotton swab.

- Update your Xbox system software to the latest version. To do this, go to Settings > System > Updates & downloads > Update console.

- Disable any VPN or proxy settings on your router or your Xbox. These can interfere with your connection and cause disconnections or lag.

- Network Troubleshooting:

• If the issue persists, consider checking your NAT type:
      • Go to Settings > Network Settings > NAT type.
      • It should be “Open”; if not, open the necessary ports with your internet provider.
      • Required ports: 88 (UDP), 3074 (UDP and TCP), 53 (UDP and TCP), 80 (TCP), 500 (UDP), 3544 (UDP), 4500 (UDP).
    - Factory Reset (Keep Games and Apps):

• As a last resort, perform a reset on your console:
      • Go to Settings > System > Console Info > Reset This Xbox.
      • Choose “Reset and Keep my Games and Apps” (this won’t delete game data).
      • Sign in again after the reset.

I hope this helps you resolve your issue and enjoy your gaming experience. If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us again.

Sincerely,

Microsoft Community Moderator
  3. Belen T.C. Win User

Hello Nathan,

We haven't heard from you in 72 hours, so we will consider your issue resolved. If you do need further help, please create a new thread to discuss your concerns through this link: Create a new question or start a discussion (microsoft.com), as we will not be monitoring this thread going forward.

Thank you for understanding.

Sincerely,

Microsoft Community Moderator
  4. taidara Win User

Xbox live keeps disconnecting

[quote user="F0rSaKeNxPr1nCe"]

UPDATE: i managed to connect to xbox live for about 5 minutes but after that i get disconnected , when i attempt to reconnect to xbox live it says that i need a wireless adapter???? My xbox is a slim it has wifi built in. any suggestions?

[/quote]This would point to a genuine hardware issue with the built-in wireless network adapter but may also be a glitch. Therefore: Disconnect the power supply from the Xbox and wait 5-10 minutes and then reconnect everything back up.

If this did not work, you will have to arrange for a repair.

Xbox LIVE service center

Keep us posted!
  5. BuriedKey Win User

Is anyone else having multiplayer issues?

I am, right before xbox live went down, after 5 minutes of being in a game, I got disconnected from the servers and xbox live. I've been having this problem ever since live came back. Once I get disconnected from the game's server, I end up losing connection
    to live all together
  6. DMON2793 Win User

Disconnected from Xbox Live while streaming Netflix

I've been having the same problem. I get disconnected from Live after 5 minutes. It happens during Netflix, Minecraft, and Battlefield 3.
Thema:

1. Why do I keep disconnecting from Xbox Live after 5 minutes? - Similar Threads - Why keep disconnecting

2. Why my Xbox series X keep disconnecting from my network?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why my Xbox series X keep disconnecting from my network?: The issue began about a month and a half ago and has gotten consistently worse. I will be in the middle on a Overwatch 2 game and the latency will jump from 30 to the 1600s and then the console...
  3. Why do I keep getting disconnected from forza horizon 5 servers

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why do I keep getting disconnected from forza horizon 5 servers: For the past three days I have been constantly being disconnected from Forza horizon five servers with a message that says you have been disconnected from the server. Please try again later for...
  4. Why does my Xbox controller keep disconnecting

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Xbox controller keep disconnecting: Why do my Xbox controllers keep disconnecting on my Xbox one but they work fine on my other Xbox’s? I have disconnected and reconnected the controller and changed the batteries, but the controller...
  5. why does my xbox series x controller keep disconnected

in XBoX on Consoles
    why does my xbox series x controller keep disconnected: my xbox series x controller keeps disconnecting i changed the batteries i couldnt resync the controller until i turned off the power supply but took about 2 minutes and the controller again...
  6. Anybody know why I keep getting disconnected only on rainbow six and I’m on Ethernet no...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Anybody know why I keep getting disconnected only on rainbow six and I’m on Ethernet no...: Anybody know why I keep getting disconnected only on rainbow six and I’m on Ethernet no connection problems just kicks me out of matches just started today. 2bfe270c-2f64-4cdd-9a1d-f87a10b3aafb
  7. my xbox controller keeps disconnecting and i don't know why

in XBoX on Consoles
    my xbox controller keeps disconnecting and i don't know why: i have tried switching the batteries and using a usb-c cable but it did not work tried connecting it to my laptop however nothing i have tried works c6b67020-1343-4433-8f46-f38518b5101c
  8. Why does my Xbox series 2 don’t keep disconnecting in a game?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Xbox series 2 don’t keep disconnecting in a game?: I recently bought a Xbox series 2 controller 2 weeks ago or so and have had no problems since this last week it keeps “disconnecting” but the light don’t turn off and I can use my Xbox menu and go...
  9. Why does my brand new Xbox controller keep disconnecting ?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my brand new Xbox controller keep disconnecting ?: I have an Xbox One S. And a brand new controller and headset - not even 6 hours old yet. While I’m playing the game , I have static in my headset and others have trouble hearing me because of...
  10. Why is my xbox and wireless headset keep getting disconnected??

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is my xbox and wireless headset keep getting disconnected??: When I jumped on my xbox series s today after work, I've noticed that when I press the Xbox button my controller and headset but just disconnect for a bit and then reconnect, anyone else having...