Why do I have three separate sales and use tax charges on my game purchase?

Discus and support Why do I have three separate sales and use tax charges on my game purchase? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I don’t know how long this has been going on, but I noticed on the last two game purchases I made through the Xbox store that I am being charged 3%... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Dan Schaub, Nov 15, 2022.

1. Dan Schaub
    Dan Schaub Guest

I don’t know how long this has been going on, but I noticed on the last two game purchases I made through the Xbox store that I am being charged 3% more than my state sales tax says should be charged. There is not only a basic sales and use tax line item, there are two others, both labeled “local” sales and use tax. All three add up to 9.2% tax rate, as opposed to the Michigan 6% tax rate. What is this additional tax?

:)

Dan Schaub, Nov 15, 2022
  2. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Hi and thanks for reaching Microsoft Xbox gamer's community. My name is Josef.
    I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft Xbox user like you.

Hope you're doing great today despite this Dan

You may need to check if your local law has extra taxes for digital purchases or using your card digitally

Because as you know, depending on the state you can pay less or more taxes
  3. JosephArdry Win User

Unknown incorrect charge for Microsoft Ultimate

Most likely you are now paying sales tax. Unless you live in a state with no sales tax, most states have pushed for sales taxes to be applied to online purchases because of the loss of revenue.
    Sales tax would be understandable but $14.99 for a regular monthly and a sales tax of $16.54? So a total of $31.53? Then why isn't that charge admitted on my history of charges through Microsoft. It's not on there history but my bank account history clearly
    shows it.
  4. onyxishere Win User

Clarification re: taxes on purchases

Taxes are charged on all items as per sales regulations. It does not matter if you paid tax when you purchased the currency because the currency and the items purchased are separate sales from separate retailers.

As for the different tax rate, whether or not that happened cannot be addressed in the forums. You can check your purchases to get the final price at commerce.microsoft.com and then contact phone support for more assistance. Dial 1-800-469-9269
  5. LesterSludge Win User

Can't use Microsoft Account Balance to change Gamertag?

I just experienced this issue, having redeemed a $10 Xbox digital gift card from Microsoft Rewards.

I was trying to make the purchase through the web, and the dialog that came up asked how I wanted to pay for the rest. Unfortunately, it did not say how much the rest was, so I did not know whether the rest was $9.99 (i.e., my credit cannot be used and
    sales tax is not charged), $10.61 (i.e., my credit cannot be used and sales tax is charged), or $0.61 (i.e., my credit can be used and sales tax is charged).

I contacted Xbox Live Support, and the representative thought it might be sales tax but was unsure.

We were able to determine that sales tax *is* charged, so the problem was simply that I did not have enough credit.
  6. Mistress Sara Win User

I don't have the money that i paid for

When you make purchases in the Marketplace, you are charged sales tax on the purchase now that Microsoft points have been converted to local currency. The additional $2.44 you were charged is probably the sales tax.

-

I hope this helps.
Thema:

1. Why do I have three separate sales and use tax charges on my game purchase? - Similar Threads - Why three separate

2. Why when I use my Fortnite vbuck card and put in the Xbox code its say it already been used...

in XBoX on Windows
    Why when I use my Fortnite vbuck card and put in the Xbox code its say it already been used...: I followed the directions on the game and when I went to the Xbox code and went on my console it didn’t work it’s said it had already Been used and it was 1,000 vbuck on that card that I can’t use...
  3. “Can’t sign in” error when trying to sign in….why?

in XBoX on Consoles
    “Can’t sign in” error when trying to sign in….why?: [img] The problem is persistent and I can not seem to find any troubleshooting solutions at all. 3315c945-3c3b-4d5e-83c3-182458e7561a
  4. Why am I getting charge for MICROSOFT*ULTIMATE 1 MOMSBILL.INFO??I don't know what this is

in XBoX on Windows
    Why am I getting charge for MICROSOFT*ULTIMATE 1 MOMSBILL.INFO??I don't know what this is: W I'm getting billed for[MICROSOFT*ULTIMATE 1 MOMSBILL.INFO] I don't know why or what it is?help please 71cfec8f-e672-4d9a-afdc-8f42dbbd5613
  5. Why is the download speed on xbox 360 0.01 mbps?!

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is the download speed on xbox 360 0.01 mbps?!: I hooked up my 360 so i can play while my xbox one is being used and i have a few games that are not compatible on the new gens but its taking sooo long to download anything and its downloading at...
  6. Why is my mic only working on one account?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why is my mic only working on one account?: I have my controller, it is signed in to my second account. On my second account, it says I have a mic (in party chat there is no error sign) However, when I talk, nothing happens. If I log in to...
  7. Why is my xbox seris x doing this

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is my xbox seris x doing this: I was just playing a a game and i decided that i would play a disc game so i insert it and then it doesn't work so i tried a different disc then it didn't work so i restarted it and then it works...
  8. Why is my controller unresponsive?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is my controller unresponsive?: My Xbox controller randomly stopped working last night.It can turn on and the light stays on still, but none of the buttons etc respond. When I unpaired and tried to pair it to my Xbox again, it...
  9. Why does all three of my USB ports keep turning off and on again when the xbox is on?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does all three of my USB ports keep turning off and on again when the xbox is on?: It's as if all three USB ports just cut out. Which is a major inconvenience if I'm playing a game on an external hardrive or using a wired controller. All of this whilst my xbox is turned on btw....
  10. Why are the last three achivements for just cause 3 locked even though i have 100% completion

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why are the last three achivements for just cause 3 locked even though i have 100% completion: I have beaten the game and dlc 100%, got all the collectibles, weapons and vehicles yet the achivements. Caught 'Em All! Anything You Can Do... Unlocked and Fully Loaded Are all still at 0% and...