Why did my gamertag transfer back to the inactive "original Xbox" account that it was on...

Discus and support Why did my gamertag transfer back to the inactive "original Xbox" account that it was on... in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; Hello, I am currently at a loss for words. I recently changed one of my unique gamertags in order to make it available to swap to a different account... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by T2P, Apr 28, 2023.

1. T2P
    T2P Guest

Why did my gamertag transfer back to the inactive "original Xbox" account that it was on...

Hello, I am currently at a loss for words. I recently changed one of my unique gamertags in order to make it available to swap to a different account that I actually use. I have since spent the last two days trying to get the unique name to show that it's available without the new system's suffix numbers that it gives you when the original name is taken, to no avail...

I have tried EVERYTHING, from using different consoles (Series X, Xbox One, and Xbox 360), different browsers, different accounts INCLUDING the account it was changed from, even contacted support which was more than useless. It still says unavailable (on 360), or tries to give me numbers at the end (XB1, SeriesX, browser).

I have been constantly checking to see if someone might have taken it, but when searching on Xbox One or Series X, it does not show that anyone has it. Earlier today I had the idea of checking on Xbox 360, so I typed the account out as I had it, and sent a friend request... to my surprise, my stomach sank, as I noticed it actually sent a friend request to an "original Xbox" gamerpic account which is completely inactive. The name on the account isn't even the same, in which it has a space in between one of the letters.

As this gamertag was one that was released during the big recycle of inactive names during the 2016* reset, I can only presume that this is the original account that it had lied dormant on for so many years before that. WHY ON EARTH would the name go back to this account? I've been on Xbox for near 15+ years at this point, and I have never heard of something like this. Even among people I know that have swapped gamertags that they themselves got from the recycle since the new system was established.

Unless someone has ever heard of something like this, I guess I'm just stuck hoping and praying that it miraculously gets recycled and available for use again.

This is absurd.

:)

2. T2P Win User

Why did my gamertag transfer back to the inactive "original Xbox" account that it was on before it got recycled in 2016?

Again, I don't understand how this is an issue. If this name was released from that inactive account in 2016, how could it go back to that account?

I've swapped this name from another account before and didn't have this problem (albeit, before the new gtag system).
  3. ngocphi Win User

Why did my gamertag transfer back to the inactive "original Xbox" account that it was on before it got recycled in 2016?

Why not.check if the gamertag is still being used

If your gamertag was reset the account would've.been deleted also

But since you did leave it for over 7 years how sure are you that it wasn't taken by someone else

Just Because you weren't active doesn't mean it was deleted in 2016
  4. CarTzy Win User

Hi T2P,

Thank you for waiting.

Please note that If you do decide to change your existing gamertag, be aware that you may lose it to someone else.

Please see: Xbox gamertag FAQ | Xbox Support

Please be advised that our support boundaries are limited to what we can do or recommend on our end. We do have access to account information, order, request, or changes made with the account or information from other accounts mentioned.

I encourage that you file this concern directly to the Xbox team so that they can look into what is truly going on with the account.

Provide feedback to Team Xbox | Xbox Support

You may also contact our live support team if you need immediate assistance.

1. Please use this link: Contact us | Xbox Support
    2. Scroll down and look at the lower left side if you can see the page matches the country/region you are currently located.
    3. If not, please select the country/region it is showing and select the correct one among the list.
    4. Make sure to use to check the available contact times of the support.
    5. Select the "Contact Us" button
    6. Select the drop-down menu options that will match your concern.
    7. The next window will provide you with support articles based on your request and we recommend reviewing the relevant articles before selecting the "See contact options" button.
    8. On the final window, you will be presented with multiple options. We suggest selecting either the "Chat online" or the "Request a call" options to speak with someone. Be sure to provide as much detail as possible.
    9. If you cannot get connected to the support, please use the Virtual Agent and enter this exact phrase, "Talk to an agent".
    10. Should you encounter same issue and have an error message please let us know so we can forward your findings to the Internal Support Team.
  5. ngocphi Win User

It wouldn't

It could've been used

On another acocumt

Leaving a name free for 7 years it's bound to be taken by someone else

People do try constantly to get original names you will just have to keep your hashtag or come up with another spellong
  6. T2P Win User

You misunderstand.

I log into the account that I changed the name from often; I only wanted to swap the name to a friend's account since I no longer play on Xbox as much. I manually changed the name the other day (for $10), and immediately upon changing it, the name seems to have reverted back to the ORIGINAL inactive account that it was on before Microsoft released inactive names in 2016 (when I got the name).

**NOTE** I had originally claimed this name in 2016 on an entirely different account (in which I still own) and had no problem swapping it from that account to the account I just changed it from. This was before the implementation of the new gamertag system. I had no problem at all. It was instantaneous.

However, in this case, the new system has somehow overwritten data somewhere and caused the gamertag to revert to the inactive original account.

I refuse to believe that this is a widespread issue with the tags that were released in 2016, as people with unique OG tags acquired at that time would be losing their minds like me.
Thema:

1. Why did my gamertag transfer back to the inactive "original Xbox" account that it was on... - Similar Threads - Why did gamertag

2. . My question is why did you guys do thaT

in XBoX on Consoles
    . My question is why did you guys do thaT: Hey i have a gamesir g7 se and previously we were able to use 1000hz report rate with the gamesir nexus app but they said you guys updated your licence conditions which only allow 4ms or 250 hz...
  3. Why did Xbox stop responding to my reports and stop me from making posts?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Why did Xbox stop responding to my reports and stop me from making posts?: Everytime I’ve tried to report someone, nothing happens, but when they report me for calling them “stupid” or “a bot” I get a strike. I also can’t make looking for group posts on my main account....
  4. why did when i sign in xbox on website its always signing me out

in XBoX on Windows
    why did when i sign in xbox on website its always signing me out: need answer asap,i want to link my xbox account with epic games 21df864d-bf4f-48f5-8531-995db56d7c12
  5. Prior to the update, why did random videos from my Xbox get deleted?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Prior to the update, why did random videos from my Xbox get deleted?: I know about that big stupid update that Microsoft decided to implement, that’s not the question here. The question is, I have a video capture from Battlefield 3 from way back, but not from a...
  6. Why am I band? It says the details aren't available at this time. What did I say or do????

in XBoX on Windows
    Why am I band? It says the details aren't available at this time. What did I say or do????: Why am I in trouble what did I do?? What rule did I brake??? I have people calling me a [mod removed] and nothing happens to them????? Why ef643ba3-0a1f-4b28-aade-4f624fbd8aa1
  7. Why did my Xbox Series S factory reset after I accidentally unplugged it

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why did my Xbox Series S factory reset after I accidentally unplugged it: I was in the middle of a Fortnite game and my foot hit the cord and unplugged the Xbox. When I started it back up, it was on the same screen that popped up when i turned on the Xbox after first...
  8. Why did my Xbox Series S reset overnight with no notification?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why did my Xbox Series S reset overnight with no notification?: Last night, I moved my Xbox from my downstairs office back to my bedroom. However, I did not unplug it while it was on, nor did I choose to factory reset my console. When I turned on my Xbox this...
  9. why is evertything freezen even after i did the thing

in XBoX on Consoles
    why is evertything freezen even after i did the thing: So when i do /sfc scan cause ive been having problems this comes up Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. For online repairs, details are included in...
  10. why did i get charged twice for a gamertag change?

in XBoX Accessibility
    why did i get charged twice for a gamertag change?: as you can see there are two different order numbers for two different payments and the same charge for the same thing two different times a24b19b2-01ca-4c53-942d-a1dba0cfa474