Why are USB flash drives recommended but USB HDDs are not?

Discus and support Why are USB flash drives recommended but USB HDDs are not? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have an 8GB SanDisk Cruzer Glide (I think) that I have used on my Xbox 360 from time to time, and whenever I configure/customize for use for game... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by mcflurryXD, Jan 7, 2014.

1. mcflurryXD
    mcflurryXD Guest

I have an 8GB SanDisk Cruzer Glide (I think) that I have used on my Xbox 360 from time to time, and whenever I configure/customize for use for game data, the xbox always tells me that it is working and meets recommended requirements. I'm now using a 500gb
    Samsung 2.5" Sata external drive in a NexStar USB 2.0 enclosure formatted to USB for some extra storage. However, when I configure/customize it, the xbox tells me it doesn't meet the recommended requirements, but still works. This isn't really a big deal,
    it works fine and all. I'm just curious as to why it doesn't meet the recommended requirements since it should obviously be faster than the flash drive. Again, I have had no problems with either that I know of.

:)

mcflurryXD, Jan 7, 2014
  2. daxmims
    daxmims Guest
    Please tell me this is a sick joke

You need a 16 gb USB flash drive. It MUST have sufficient read speed 15mb/s

"This initial install will require an Xbox 360 Hard Drive or an external 16GB USB flash drive with at least 8 GB of free space. If using a USB flash drive it must be at least USB 2.0 with a minimum 15mb/s read speed and formatted for Xbox 360 use. A new USB flash drive is recommended to ensure optimum performance. "

http://support.rockstargames.com/hc...-V-Xbox-360-and-PS3-Installation-Requirements

Good Luck

daxmims, Jan 7, 2014
  3. taidara
    taidara Guest
    Can't connect to x box live

Sorry for the delay!

[quote user="crispy2106"]So to move the profile from HDD to USB I will have to put HDD back in[/quote]Sorry if I got you confused again. You're not moving your profile from HDD to USB flash drive. You should move your profile the other way around,
    from USB flash drive to HDD.

1. Delete Profile Only (with HDD attached).
    2. With your console powered off and safely remove the HDD.
    3. Insert the USB flash drive.
    4. Turn on the Xbox.
    5. Download profile from Live to USB flash drive.
    6. Turn off the Xbox.
    7. Add your HDD back (keep the USB flash drive inserted).
    8. Move profile from USB flash drive to HDD.

taidara, Jan 7, 2014
  4. mcflurryXD
    mcflurryXD Guest

Sorry for the mistake, it is formatted to FAT32 on the second partition, the last on the drive.

mcflurryXD, Jan 7, 2014
  5. Well first most HDDs are much larger than the maximum 32 gigs so it'd be a "waste" if that's all you were using it for and most people aren't going to want to be bothered to constantly move the HDD back and forth to access the other XX GB on their PCs.

Second, flash memory has a much higher IO rate than anything you could achieve on a traditional platter storage device. If you had a 500 GB SSD and plugged it into your console it wouldn't mention it being below specs.

VisageOfAnAngel, Oct 31, 2018
  6. VisageOfAnAngel Win User

Well first most HDDs are much larger than the maximum 32 gigs so it'd be a "waste" if that's all you were using it for and most people aren't going to want to be bothered to constantly move the HDD back and forth to access the other XX GB on their PCs.

Second, flash memory has a much higher IO rate than anything you could achieve on a traditional platter storage device. If you had a 500 GB SSD and plugged it into your console it wouldn't mention it being below specs.
  7. mcflurryXD Win User

Sorry for the mistake, it is formatted to FAT32 on the second partition, the last on the drive.
  8. WiseDragon Win User

Live party keeps disconnecting.

Other options:

If using HDD as storage device remove it, then try use with USB Flash Drive.(I recommend Sandisk) /

support.xbox.com/.../usb-flash-drive

You need to move Gamertag, save file game contents.

Then try play online with USB memory and HDD out.
  9. taidara Win User

Can't connect to x box live

Sorry for the delay!

[quote user="crispy2106"]So to move the profile from HDD to USB I will have to put HDD back in[/quote]Sorry if I got you confused again. You're not moving your profile from HDD to USB flash drive. You should move your profile the other way around,
    from USB flash drive to HDD.

1. Delete Profile Only (with HDD attached).
    2. With your console powered off and safely remove the HDD.
    3. Insert the USB flash drive.
    4. Turn on the Xbox.
    5. Download profile from Live to USB flash drive.
    6. Turn off the Xbox.
    7. Add your HDD back (keep the USB flash drive inserted).
    8. Move profile from USB flash drive to HDD.
  10. WiseDragon Win User

Cannot sign into Xbox Live "Add Security" problem

Police21786,

If all security proofs updated, you can try:

Download profile in other storage device (Other HDD or USB Flash Drive, if your console have internal memory need to try in another console). Here the link for USB Flash drive Setup

support.xbox.com/.../usb-flash-drive

Please try without HDD attached just try with USB Flash Drive. i Recommend SanDisk Brand.

Another option will be try download profile with another ISP

Please confirm if works
Thema:

1. Why are USB flash drives recommended but USB HDDs are not? - Similar Threads - Why are USB

2. Hello I was wondering why don't you have support for USB mics

in XBoX on Consoles
    Hello I was wondering why don't you have support for USB mics: It would make it much easier if you did a system update on USB mics to make them compatible please make them compatible e38b28f6-e4e7-4cb9-b9d2-998b2cb7574d
  3. Why is my xbox not detecting my usb after trying to do 3 offline updates

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is my xbox not detecting my usb after trying to do 3 offline updates: recently my xbox one x hard drive has failed, i have purchased a new one, i formatted the new hdd and plugged it into the console, i made a usb, formatted to ntfs, installed osu1, i tried doing...
  4. Why does all three of my USB ports keep turning off and on again when the xbox is on?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does all three of my USB ports keep turning off and on again when the xbox is on?: It's as if all three USB ports just cut out. Which is a major inconvenience if I'm playing a game on an external hardrive or using a wired controller. All of this whilst my xbox is turned on btw....
  5. why am I not allowed to start games on my series s through my USB hard drive, they charge...

in XBoX on Consoles
    why am I not allowed to start games on my series s through my USB hard drive, they charge...: I got a hard drive in just to test if it would let me install more stuff and it showed 1tb on the storage space thing, I thought it was all set up but apparently I can't play the games by the USB...
  6. Why can i connect my usb headset to my Xbox series s

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why can i connect my usb headset to my Xbox series s: I trued everything c48003aa-d39a-44ca-8765-46e3e2d704fa
  7. Stealth 600 Gen 2 USB headset has NO life, why?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Stealth 600 Gen 2 USB headset has NO life, why?: Gen 2 USB headset and all of sudden it won't turn on, won't charge, and won't connect to the windows app on my computer. No lights, no charging, no power, and when plugged directly into computer,...
  8. Why does my Xbox controller only connect via USB cable?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Xbox controller only connect via USB cable?: My controller was working fine up until maybe an hour prior to this post. I've updated it, there seems to be no external issue I can see. Whenever the batteries are in it slowly flashes twice like...
  9. Why is the gen x console so expensive but built cheap compared to latest console. The USB...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is the gen x console so expensive but built cheap compared to latest console. The USB...: How do I go about fixing the USB port to my son's gen x console and how much is the cost. It's only been 8 months and already broken while old console is strong and still going?...
  10. why does xbox say that there’s no usb connected to controller on the updating page when it...

in XBoX on Consoles
    why does xbox say that there’s no usb connected to controller on the updating page when it...: i’m trying to update my controller and it said “connect one controller with a usb cable. keep any attached devices connected to the controller.” so i did and then i pressed “continue” and it said...