why are some games disc only backwards compatible and have no digital options?

Discus and support why are some games disc only backwards compatible and have no digital options? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; For instance, Doom 3 BFG Edition, I'd of picked that up day one when it was available on the Xbox One's backwards compatibility catalog. I mean, isn't... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by xDamnYouSalazar, Nov 11, 2016.

1. why are some games disc only backwards compatible and have no digital options?

For instance, Doom 3 BFG Edition, I'd of picked that up day one when it was available on the Xbox One's backwards compatibility catalog. I mean, isn't that capitalist model? You know, publishers give us games we want, we willingly give our money over to
    them, MS gets their cut, it's a win-win situation all around.

I've heard people say multi-disc games aren't backwards compatible because they weren't made to work off one ISO, that doesn't seem consistent though, as there are multi-disc games with digital options available digitally on the Xbox 360's digital store,
    like Max Payne 3 for instance, or LA Noire. And obviously, there's an option for digital Mass Effect 2 and 3 through EA Access for the Xbox One.

Was it entirely a publisher decision, or did they not opt for the option of having games on the Xbox 360 digital store because of extra store certification costs? Or maybe, at the time, they were more interested in promoting physical copy sales, because
    they have to front royalty costs on physical prints, and digital undermines clearing physical copy from retailer inventory, which means they have to partial refund retailers on unsold copies or MSRP price adjustments. If they opted out because of some kind
    of obstacle for publishing on the Xbox 360, I feel Microsoft, in the interest of broadening the Xbox One backwards compatible catalog, should consider reaching out and making exceptions to publishers to re-release the Xbox 360 games digitally that weren't
    available on the Xbox 360 digitally. Having games like Mass Effect 2 and 3 on EA Access is a nice benefit, maybe even EA calculated that in an effort to promote the subscriptions to EA Access. But, they could also benefit by continuing to sell the games digitally.

Shouldn't part of Microsoft's backwards compatibility efforts be to expand backwards compatibility to all customers, and not just those that retain their original Xbox 360 copies? Any copies still in circulation won't send additional revenues upstream to
    the publishers as they're probably all out of print anyways. Promoting increased additional digital sales would be mutually beneficial to both MS and publishers, and heck even the consumers. Just an idea.

:)

xDamnYouSalazar, Nov 11, 2016
  2. Daft Badger
    Daft Badger Guest
    Blazing Angels BC

Unfortunately only the disc version of the game is backwards compatible.

There is no bc digital version of the game & no word on whether that will change.

Daft Badger, Nov 11, 2016
  3. Smwutches
    Smwutches Guest
    Xbox 360 games not working on XboxOne but are on the backwards capability listing

As long as the games are backwards compatible, they should work whether you have the disc or digital. To get the digital license you would basically have to rebuy the games digitally, which you shouldn't need to do. Double check that they are all on the
    backwards compatible list - Xbox One Backward Compatibility List | Xbox

Smwutches, Nov 11, 2016
  4. why are some games disc only backwards compatible and have no digital options?

Hi, I think you have basically answered your own question. It is mainly due to the fact that the games were never released onto the games on demand catalogue on the Xbox 360 store. If you want these games to be available digitally, then make a post on
    the feedback website xbox.uservoice.com

StuartATrueRed, Nov 11, 2016
  5. As Stuart said, these games never had digital versions on 360. When Xbox 360 launched, disc-based games never had digital copies in the store. It wasn't until a couple of years later that they started doing 'games on demand' which meant AAA studios could
    release their games digitally, rather than just small XBLA titles.

Ones that never saw a digital release on 360 will never be available to purchase digitally for backwards compatability until the current publisher of the game decides they want to sell it on the Xbox 360 marketplace. And it's not as simple as flipping a
    switch: they'd have to go through all the steps they would go through today to release a new game, even though the game already exists on disc.

NeilSmith1984, Nov 2, 2018
  6. NeilSmith1984 Win User

As Stuart said, these games never had digital versions on 360. When Xbox 360 launched, disc-based games never had digital copies in the store. It wasn't until a couple of years later that they started doing 'games on demand' which meant AAA studios could
    release their games digitally, rather than just small XBLA titles.

Ones that never saw a digital release on 360 will never be available to purchase digitally for backwards compatability until the current publisher of the game decides they want to sell it on the Xbox 360 marketplace. And it's not as simple as flipping a
    switch: they'd have to go through all the steps they would go through today to release a new game, even though the game already exists on disc.
  7. StuartATrueRed Win User

Hi, I think you have basically answered your own question. It is mainly due to the fact that the games were never released onto the games on demand catalogue on the Xbox 360 store. If you want these games to be available digitally, then make a post on
    the feedback website xbox.uservoice.com
  8. Smwutches Win User

Mass Effect 2 & 3 on XBone?

Backwards compatibility works with discs or digital. Some games will only work one way or the other though.
  9. NeoDan123 Win User

Xbox 1 console

As mentioned by the others only a certain selection is currently backward compatible.

If it is a digital copy that you have you can check under the Ready to install section of your game library.

Disc copies of the backward compatible game, just put the disc in the console and it will download some software to be able to play the game.
  10. AngelObullets Win User

Xbox One not detecting Xbox 360 backwards compatible disks

Don't think it works so well with some of the backwards discs but works fine on digital only on the 360 side on xbox one. Can you try any other games that backwards compat to see if might be your disc or that?.
Thema:

1. why are some games disc only backwards compatible and have no digital options? - Similar Threads - why are games

2. Why are some of my previously purchased games not showing up?!?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why are some of my previously purchased games not showing up?!?: Back when I had an xbox 360 I had bought or downloaded thru game pass, gta 5 and multiple other games digitally, I now have an xbox x, I've logged in with the same account and gta 5 along with a...
  3. Why wont my 360 games connect to xbox live on my xbox series X

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why wont my 360 games connect to xbox live on my xbox series X: I'm having some serious trouble atm with trying to get 360 games to work on my series X. These are all games that until today worked fine. Now it will not connect to xbox live for the cloud or my...
  4. Why does my xbox keep revving and why wont my game install

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my xbox keep revving and why wont my game install: I bought Black Ops III and it’s been installing but it stopped at 93.8% and it said the disk may have been damaged or it is dirty. I cleaned it and put it back in to try again but when i put it in...
  5. Why The Sign-in Window is closing in games and app in windows 11 (RE:)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why The Sign-in Window is closing in games and app in windows 11 (RE:): The Sign-in Window or Pop-Up is automatically Close in games and app. When i Click Sign-in inside an app or Game It closes quickly So Even I cant Type Anything. I Tested So Many Apps And That Are...
  6. Why can I not communicate with my friends/teammates in lobby or in game for The Finals?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why can I not communicate with my friends/teammates in lobby or in game for The Finals?: 2 months ago I lost all comms in the lobby and in game I could not communicate with anyone who wasn't my friends. After this week's patch I cannot communicate with ANYONE in anyway whatsoever....
  7. Why The Sign-in Window is closing in games and app in windows 11

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why The Sign-in Window is closing in games and app in windows 11: The Sign-in Window or Pop-Up is automatically Close in games and app. When i Click Sign-in inside an app or Game It closes quickly So Even I cant Type Anything. I Tested So Many Apps And That Are...
  8. Why can I use Xbox Live on some games but not all?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why can I use Xbox Live on some games but not all?: I have subscribed to an Xbox gamepass ultimate family plan and its worked for years up until recently when only one account can’t access online gameplay like the other accounts. That account can...
  9. why am i unable to right click on games?

in XBoX on Windows
    why am i unable to right click on games?: so before this issue, i was trying to fix the game bar not running in background and then shortcuts not working. but after i fixed them suddenly whenever i right click on a game in my game library...
  10. Why can’t I connect to Xbox live on my backwards compatible games?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why can’t I connect to Xbox live on my backwards compatible games?: When I try to play my Xbox 360 games on my new Xbox series S I can’t! A message pops up saying “Can’t connect to Xbox Live. Select Test Connection to troubleshoot your connection. For more info,...