Why am I unable to play two different games under a shared xbox family account? Why is...

Discus and support Why am I unable to play two different games under a shared xbox family account? Why is... in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I've had my xbox account for a very long time. I've also added my son under xbox home sharing. I have my console and account and he has his own console... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Jane2550, Oct 10, 2022.

1. Jane2550
    Jane2550 Guest

Why am I unable to play two different games under a shared xbox family account? Why is...

I've had my xbox account for a very long time. I've also added my son under xbox home sharing. I have my console and account and he has his own console and account. I've bought these consoles which are not cheap and I've paid for the annual ultimate pass ( not to mention any accessories that go with gaming on xbox). This passed xmax I bought my son the series x and I myself purchased series s which arrives this week. All of this just to say that we cannot simultaneously play our games. So for instance, If while I'm playing Destiny in my living room and my son wants to hop o and play Apex in his room, one of us have to end a session we're in the middle of playing?!. Why? Why, is there a one game at a time rule? It's absolutely ridiculous especially after adding up all of the time and money I've put into supporting xbox. How is this rectified without having to pay for two separate ultimate passes, or without losing a decades worth of progress in a game that I love?Finally, what is the point in having xbox home sharing feature to begin with? I would greatly appreciate an answer because I've wasted even more time looking for a solution that works for myself & my family. Yet, here I am because I have yet to find one. Thanks.

:)

Jane2550, Oct 10, 2022
  2. Francia J. Win User

Why am I unable to play two different games under a shared xbox family account? Why is there a one game at a time rule?

Hi Jane2550, I hope you're doing great out there. I am an Independent advisor and I am here to help you in regard to your concern.

Just a friendly reminder though that the Home Xbox feature is per console which means that if the games and subscriptions are purchased on your account, you can play your games as well as a subscription in any of the consoles that you own but with sharing your games and subscriptions, you can only share it with 1 console at a time and you will have 5 switches per year.

There is an Xbox Game Pass Friends & Family subscription wherein you can share the subscription with 4 people but currently Microsoft is piloting this plan in Colombia and the Republic of Ireland. According to Microsoft future countries/regions might be added in the next months.

To summarize, if you have multiple consoles, you may need to choose one console where you will be sharing your games and subscription.
  3. Loscassidy Win User

Why am I unable to play two different games under a shared xbox family account? Why is there a one game at a time rule?

So is your sons Xbox setup with ur account being ur home Xbox? As that is how my sons is set up and it works with no issue.
  4. Jane2550 Win User

Yes my sons account is set up under my home xbox account. What happens is if I'm playing a game and my son opens a game on his console to try and play, a window pops up asking "which session to end". Then I'm given the option to end mine or his account.
  5. Francia J. Win User

You're welcome and you're correct. I apologize for the confusion in this.

Also, there is no option to transfer a game from one account to another. In regards to your suggestion which is to install the game on an external hard drive, the license is still needed which means you need to use the Microsoft account where the game was purchased in playing the game.
  6. Jane2550 Win User

Right, so if either of us turn on our consoles we both have the option to sign into one another's. You can do anything else like watch Netflix or YouTube but we just cannot play more than one game at a time without kicking the other off their game.
Thema:

1. Why am I unable to play two different games under a shared xbox family account? Why is... - Similar Threads - Why unable play

2. why am i unable to right click on games?

in XBoX on Windows
    why am i unable to right click on games?: so before this issue, i was trying to fix the game bar not running in background and then shortcuts not working. but after i fixed them suddenly whenever i right click on a game in my game library...
  3. Why does it say “unable to connect to world. The world is no longer available to join.”...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does it say “unable to connect to world. The world is no longer available to join.”...: I am trying to join a friends world on minecraft (he’s on Nintendo switch and I am on Xbox) but every time it just says “unable to connect to world. The world is no longer available to join.” Can...
  4. Why is dragging unable in Edge?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why is dragging unable in Edge?: I'm disappointed that even when using a keyboard AND mouse you are unable to drag anything. For example, when I am working on something I like to use PiP(picture in picture) mode for YouTube....
  5. Why am I unable to download a game that I have purchased?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why am I unable to download a game that I have purchased?: Hi. I had purchased Omori before it was removed from the Xbox store. Despite online searching say that I can still download and play it, I am unable to do so. It feels like robbing since I paid...
  6. Why am i unable to download a game?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why am i unable to download a game?: Trying to redownload fortnite at the moment and it says i own the game despite it not being in my games and apps, then says i need to update the game (not optional) and then proceeds to tell me...
  7. Why is Xbox saying it's unable to take action when I reported a spam message?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Why is Xbox saying it's unable to take action when I reported a spam message?: I keep getting spam messages from bots. Advertising "romance" games and such. I report them as such and then get a message from Xbox saying they're unable to take action....
  8. why am i unable sign into onedrive

in XBoX Games and Apps
    why am i unable sign into onedrive: unable to sign into games and one drive facbd86f-af6f-468b-a227-ad463ccb163f
  9. Why am I unable to send a request to join a game

in XBoX on Windows
    Why am I unable to send a request to join a game: Why am I unable to send a request to join a game 362095e8-71e6-4041-9847-79fe6a08f98f
  10. Why am I unable to play 1440p120fps with a monitor that supports it and I have a hdmi 2.1...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why am I unable to play 1440p120fps with a monitor that supports it and I have a hdmi 2.1...: I just recently bought the Koorui 27 inch non-curved 1440p 144hz monitor. I understand that games for the Xbox series s only go up to 1440p @120fps, and was wondering why it’s telling me the my...