Why a company that puts Empathy at center of everything they do ignores regional pricing of...

Discus and support Why a company that puts Empathy at center of everything they do ignores regional pricing of... in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I have believed till now that Microsoft champions in the field of pricing its digital products reasonable to the markets it caters to. A digital... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by legion5_win10, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Why a company that puts Empathy at center of everything they do ignores regional pricing of...

I have believed till now that Microsoft champions in the field of pricing its digital products reasonable to the markets it caters to. A digital product has no inherent cost of duplicity or multiplicity (2 or 20 will cost the same , just as copy -pasting a file doesn't double its value). And so we are not talking about pricing keeping in mind BEP (Break Even Point) and sustenance.

Over the decade, popular game store Steam has ensured that a fair pricing policy is developed so that the digital purchasing power equity is ensured. It is a moral and social aspect of the business that probably big companies like Microsoft should be proud of upholding.

Steam's suggested regional pricing guidelines are developed based on numerous studies and findings of socio-economic macro factors of all the countries and putting a list where they compare how a 60 USD game is equivalent to purchasing power of someone residing in say countries like Bangladesh, India, Vietnam or Turkey, Kazakhstan, Argentina, Brazil, Mexico etc.

With that in mind, a 60 USD game is sold in regional currencies of these countries at a price that when converted to USD, may amount to 20 to 30 USD. This is the standard of industry not just Gaming, but every digital product industry. For example, Spotify monthly subscription costs way less in India compared to same subscription in Europe. Same is with Netflix, Amazon Prime.

Even Microsoft owned Gaming Studios have ensured they follow the regional pricing to the closest for many of their games. Psychonauts 2 is the latest example. On the third party Steam tracking website, we see that the game has followed Steam Suggested pricing for many countries barring 8 currencies where it has priced it at a hike of more than 50 %.
    https://steamdb.info/sub/160659/

Same goes with

Forza Horizon 4 https://steamdb.info/sub/451350/

Sea of thieves https://steamdb.info/sub/401467/

However, with their latest game Forza Horizon 5, Microsoft, the company that puts empathy at the center of everything they do, and company that vouches for a contribution of their income on social welfare initiatives, priced their digital product at 2 to 4.5 times the price than the fair regional pricing policies in 16 regions and/or countries.

Here's the link to tracking for reference https://steamdb.info/sub/547831/

As can be seen, except 2 regions, the US and South Korea, both first world rich countries, it priced the game Above the fair regional pricing policies. Not only that, it is selling Forza Horizon 5 at a cheaper price to FH4 in many European countries. While talking about pricing in Windows store, they are even higher than the steam prices, leaving no hope to be able to buy there.

So if its put in simple terms, Microsoft is selling their product at fair prices in Affluent countries, both on steam and windows store, while selling them as a luxury and unaffordable product in less affluent countries, both on steam and strongly so on windows store.

This is something that goes literally contradictory to the empathy vision of the company and the socially responsible nature of its business. I believe this is something that the highest of high authorities should look into and rethink. This is something that affects many people like me who would love to see Microsoft being a champion of fair and equity in the digital world that we are all part of and in which Microsoft and its products are a big contributor and have been trailblazer for many years.

I dont know if this was the right forum, but I really wanted to share my views on this thing with someone from the Microsoft responsible for it. I tried to find contact us button on Playground games, but i couldn't find any. And this forum is like a known space and So i thought let me share my concern here.

thank you.

:)

legion5_win10, Sep 6, 2021
  2. PotatoSalad30 Win User

Why a company that puts Empathy at center of everything they do ignores regional pricing of their studio games?

Smart that you compare cars, a physical product with a static price from manufacturing to logistics and even added an extra price based on government tax, to a digital video game product that can be adjusted based on Purchasing Power Parity -- a concept in PC gaming that Steam has oh so thoroughly researched that one genius like you can invalidate.
  3. coth Win User

Why a company that puts Empathy at center of everything they do ignores regional pricing of their studio games?

Any official statement on this from Phil Spencer?
  4. WarisParvez Win User

This is ridiculous microsoft . I have supported almost all your steam releases for over a year now I had bought Ori, age of empires 2, Sea of thieves, Forza H4 and psychonauts 2 even though each of those games cost more a months subsciption of gamepass . I was really looking forward to getting Forza h5 this year but after seeing these "newly adjusted prices", I'm not sure If i will get any of the fall xbox games this year. The last time I used windows store / game pass it was a horrible experience . A lot of games I uninstalled after i finished them didnt even get deleted properly so I had to use 3rd party softwares to find and delete them manually . Suffice to say I wont be using gamepass anymore unless its added in steam . The least you can do is fix the damn regional prices.
  5. legion5_win10 Win User

Hi Goth Vampirella,

I see that you dont find merit in this discussion. Its okay. May be what you say has been based on your life perceptions and experiences. I for example, as a child growing up, have played alot of pirated games. As a Kid and teenager, I didnt find anything wrong in pirating stuff. I thought my stealing of a digital product doesnt deprive owner of its use. So its okay! I saw stealing as stealing only if it deprived the owner of its use.

Over time as I grew up and started earning money, I began to understand the importance of hardwork and effort. I realized the value of credit and the risks of creating something of your own. I had a heart change and understood that today if i pirate other's product, then tomorrow the fruits of my hardwork too will be snatched from me. Stealing is not just about deprivation of physical asset, it is also the disregard for other's effort and struggle to achieve it or make it happen.

It is through such experience I began to understand why people dont just get things for free when they can (through immoral ways).

In the same sense, it would be wise to acknowledge that regional pricing exists in the world because of some reasons. I, or people who support here, aren't some fantasy wishful thinkers or miser people asking for something that has no real essence.

There are some moral and social aspects that we learn with life. And its okay if one doesnt understand them today. But to be wise, is to try to see other's perspective and be open and kind. And I hope I have been so too in my reply.

Thank you.
  6. A protestor Win User

Microsoft , i know you are huge [mod removed] GUI Package cumpany, you shouldn't capitalize your sub view on game. ridiculous buying game for 1/2 smartphone in my area. better starving the locals with western pricing eh?
Thema:

Why a company that puts Empathy at center of everything they do ignores regional pricing of...

1. Why a company that puts Empathy at center of everything they do ignores regional pricing of... - Similar Threads - Why company puts

2. Why is my xbox one saying unauthorized accessory for my Xbox controller

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is my xbox one saying unauthorized accessory for my Xbox controller: [img] This at the top is info on the controller the one at the bottom is the controller itself [img] 8b883425-0891-4122-b705-b883f4591fb1
  3. why my Xbox 360 doesn't open in my TV ?

in XBoX on Windows
    why my Xbox 360 doesn't open in my TV ?: why my Xbox 360 is not opening in my tv ? it's coming black and say go error. go to Xbox. com/support and the on/off botton comme red and the console is very hot....
  4. why my Xbox 360 doesn't open in my TV ?

in XBoX on Windows
    why my Xbox 360 doesn't open in my TV ?: why my Xbox 360 is not opening in my tv ? it's coming black and say go error. go to Xbox. com/support and the on/off botton comme red and the console is very hot....
  5. Why does my Xbox not have the Xbox app preferences settings?

in XboX Insiders
    Why does my Xbox not have the Xbox app preferences settings?: I have been trying to connect my Xbox One S to the Xbox app for a while now and it just isn't working. Enable remote features is turned on but it still won't connect. When I look in the Remote...
  6. Why is my invite To game greyed out?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Why is my invite To game greyed out?: When I want to invite someone to my game in the game bar the invite to game button is greyed out and I can’t invite taken to my game I am playing on windows 11 by the way Oh and also I can’t see...
  7. Why is my Xbox Series X lagging?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is my Xbox Series X lagging?: My Xbox is brand new, yet it lags terribly when I play online games, like Fortnite for example. I recently just switched over from my Nintendo Switch to the Xbox, expecting that performance would...
  8. Why does my xbox series x shut down everytime I try to play the matrix demo .

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my xbox series x shut down everytime I try to play the matrix demo .: Why..... is the question ... what is real how do you define real...(that's where is shuts off haha) Everytime i try to play the matrix demo my console shuts down there's a green screen for a split...
  9. Why is it taking so long to install my game on my new Xbox x series when my game is an...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is it taking so long to install my game on my new Xbox x series when my game is an...: Why is it taking so long to install my game on my new Xbox x series when my game is an actual DVD please help i really want to plyto play y, e5f5ca56-d564-47d1-aa93-b40ef50b43d7
  10. Why does Microsoft Allow 3rd party companies to sell crappy controllers?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does Microsoft Allow 3rd party companies to sell crappy controllers?: As much as I have been behind Microsoft. I think they are doing the gaming community an injustice by allowing their patent to be used by 3rd part companies that create controllers made to last...