Which is best for a Series X with a QHD Monitor: Native Resolution or downscaled from 4K?

Discus and support Which is best for a Series X with a QHD Monitor: Native Resolution or downscaled from 4K? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me with this as I've done the usual google search circuit as well as on here and I can't get a definitive answer......... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Paddy Sweal, Feb 17, 2023.

1. Paddy Sweal
    Paddy Sweal Guest

Which is best for a Series X with a QHD Monitor: Native Resolution or downscaled from 4K?

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me with this as I've done the usual google search circuit as well as on here and I can't get a definitive answer......

Ok here goes:

If I'm using a Series X with a (HDMI 2.1) QHD monitor, what would give me the best quality:

1) Setting the Series X to QHD/1440p output

OR

2) Choosing 4k, and therefore having that signal downscaled/downsampled to 1440p?

Some people have suggested there is no difference. Others have suggested the 4k downscaled/downsampled will look better in the same way that youtube videos set to 4k quality look better on a 1080p screen than if you chose 1080/native.

Thanks for any help and I hope I haven't made any embarrassing misunderstandings of this tech.

:)

Paddy Sweal, Feb 17, 2023
  2. Dericka Win User

Hi, I'm , an Independent advisor and I can surely help you.

Don't worry we will work on this together. I would recommend the 2nd option.
  3. Hotelsinus Win User

My Xbox game clips are lagging

turn on 4k and set the resolution to 4k, then your monitor get the 1440p picture (downscale the 4k image) and your captures are fine again.
    this is how i fix this myself on series x
  4. Tomm_A Win User

What type of monitor should I get for the Xbox Series X?

Hello Rellotron,

Greetings!

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Choosing the right monitor for your Xbox Series X can significantly enhance your gaming experience. Let’s break down the options based on your requirements:

1. Resolution:
      • 1080p: Your current monitor’s resolution. While it’s decent, upgrading to a higher resolution will provide better visual quality.
      • 1440p (QHD): A great middle ground. Many games support 120fps at this resolution, including Halo Infinite. It strikes a balance between performance and image quality.
      • 4K (UHD): Offers the highest image quality, especially for single-player games with HDR. However, some games may downscale to 1440p or 1080p for higher frame rates.
    2. Refresh Rate:
      • Aim for at least 144Hz for smoother gameplay. Higher refresh rates provide better motion clarity.
      • If you’re considering 4K, look for monitors with 120Hz support.
    3. Response Time:
      • Opt for a monitor with a fast response time (ideally 1ms) to minimize motion blur during fast-paced games.
    4. HDR:
      • If you want to experience HDR, even on a 1440p monitor, set your Xbox Series X to 4K resolution. Note that not all 1440p monitors support HDR.
    5. Monitor Size:
      • 27-inch is a popular size for gaming. It strikes a balance between screen real estate and immersion.
      • 24-inch is more compact but still suitable for gaming.
    6. Downscaling:
      • Xbox Series X does upscale to 4K before downscaling to your monitor’s native resolution. Downscaled 4K to 1440p should still look good.

Ultimately, the choice depends on your priorities: image quality, performance, or a balance of both. Consider your budget and preferences, and enjoy your upgraded gaming setup!

I hope this helps! Let us know if you have further questions and we are more than happy to help.

Sincerely,

5. Kharmeister Win User

My Xbox game clips are lagging

turn on 4k and set the resolution to 4k, then your monitor get the 1440p picture (downscale the 4k image) and your captures are fine again.
    this is how i fix this myself on series x
    DUDE!!! I just tried what you suggested. I went into my Xbox Series X's settings, enabled 4K and set the resolution to 4K UHD (which downgrades to 1440p on my LG GL850B monitor). I enabled Freesync on my monitor and VRR in the Xbox's Video Mode settings, which automatically bumped the framerate down to 60fps (totally makes sense because my monitor can't do 120fps with VRR enabled unless it's using the Display Port). Hopped into Dying Light and recorded two clips, and there wasn't any stutter!!! This might not work for everyone as it seems that it is highly dependent on brand of display you're using, but 1440p resolution does appear to be a contributing factor. I'll be back of course if I experience more issues but it seems like my Xbox DVR problem is finally solved!

Thanks by the way, it never occurred to me to bump UP the resolution, since I figured my1440p panel would not be able to display an image...I totally forgot about downscaling.
  6. Obsessive Power Win User

Series S/X

Hi,

The Series X supports 1080P resolution in the settings same as Xbox One and One X. Games on Series X will still render in 4K, but will downscale to whatever display you have. There won't be any loss in quality at all.
Thema:

1. Which is best for a Series X with a QHD Monitor: Native Resolution or downscaled from 4K? - Similar Threads - best Series QHD

2. What’s the best way to connect my series X to my monitor that doesn’t have HDMI?

in XBoX on Consoles
    What’s the best way to connect my series X to my monitor that doesn’t have HDMI?: I recently purchased a Samsung G85SB gaming monitor. Only after being delivered did I realize it doesn’t have an HDMI port only mini DP, a micro hdmi and a type c input. I could buy adapters to...
  3. What is the best way to control my TV and audio receiver from my Xbox series X?

in XBoX on Consoles
    What is the best way to control my TV and audio receiver from my Xbox series X?: I currently have an Xbox series X. a few months ago's I upgraded from an Xbox One X. I have my video and audio going to my TV and then optical out going to my audio receiver. I used to be able to...
  4. Best way to fix overheating/crashing for the Xbox series X?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Best way to fix overheating/crashing for the Xbox series X?: Hi community, I’ve been having issues with games crashing for what I think is an overheating problem. Let me go into detail with this because I’ve done a lot of researching and testing and not...
  5. What are the best options for adding storage Xbox series S?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    What are the best options for adding storage Xbox series S?: My daughter needs more storage space on her Xbox series s. She received a game for Christmas but can't play bc there's not enough space on her internal storage. My free time the last couple days...
  6. Best video settings to use with new gaming monitor on Series X

in XBoX on Consoles
    Best video settings to use with new gaming monitor on Series X: Hi I am using a Xbox Series X and just got a HyperX Armada 27 ([link](https://hyperx.com/products/hyperx-armada-27-gaming-monitor?variant=42751899435165)) - don't worry, only paid $180 for it haha...
  7. Series S horizontal or vertical: Which is best

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series S horizontal or vertical: Which is best: Hi what's the best position to have your Xbox series s for better ventilation 0ef8e107-8a87-424c-84a0-3860df9ee69e
  8. Hi. I have 3 teens with an xbox series s each. What is the best way to set these up as they...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Hi. I have 3 teens with an xbox series s each. What is the best way to set these up as they...: Hi. I have 3 teens with an xbox series s each in the house. What is the best way to set these up as they all have email addresses and gamer tags and i am in danger of having multiple...
  9. Best Screen for Xbox series X

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Best Screen for Xbox series X: Was looking to buy an ultrawide curved gaming monitor only to find out that the XSX does not support it. Can someone tell me the best TV's out there that utilise the full power of an XSX?...
  10. Best Monitor for Series X? 4k, HDR, 120hz+ etc.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Best Monitor for Series X? 4k, HDR, 120hz+ etc.: Hey all! So I'm looking for a monitor in the 25-28" range that can offer everything I'm looking for. Basically I want a monitor that can support everything that the Series X can do - if there's a...