Weird connection problems. What to do?

Discus and support Weird connection problems. What to do? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Scenario: Three-level house. Router and modem are on the second floor and another family owns it. Laptop and XBOX 360 (Slim) are in the basement, same... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Vincent Romero, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Weird connection problems. What to do?

Scenario:

Three-level house. Router and modem are on the second floor and another family owns it. Laptop and XBOX 360 (Slim) are in the basement, same room.

Laptop averages about four bars, connects with no problem. XBOX has no connection. Both are ten feet away from each other.

Solution:

Bought and set up a powerline adapter (Netgear 200 mini) to get any type of connectivity. Online connectivity and XBOX Live now works but with sever lag and latency.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 somewhat works but connections sometimes wavers from 1-4 bars. Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition still lags under the best of opponent's connections.

Considerations:

Trading in the newly-purchased powerline adapter for a personal modem/router set up or just a second router (N300?); or moving XBOX 360 set-up onto the main floor without powerline adapter and set it up wirelessly as usual, closer to system on second floor.

Any help or feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

:)

Vincent Romero, Jan 2, 2014
  2. Xilkozuf
    Xilkozuf Guest
    Help. Me.

This sounds weird, like there might be some problems with your internet connection.
    What router do you have? Do you know the speed of your connection? Maybe it is able to connect, but it wait too much for the server to respond and it just don't work.

Xilkozuf, Jan 2, 2014
  3. Quitting a game ?

I have noticed some weird connection problems since they added the new season of Spartan Ops.

AlmasRetroChild, Jan 2, 2014
  4. Weird connection problems. What to do?

Move your 360 up one floor.I have mine setup in the room directly below our router and get 3 bars,sometimes 4.

LOWxONxHealth, Jan 2, 2014
  5. x24hrs2livex
    x24hrs2livex Guest
    I am no networking guru, but how about getting your own internet? I think Clear costs like $10 a month after paying for the equipment which is $50 I do believe.

x24hrs2livex, Jan 2, 2014
  6. Some options:

-Make sure the 360 is not sitting under any metal pipes in the basement. Metal distorts WiFi signals.

-Make sure the 360 is not setting vertically. The WiFi receiver is near center and should be facing upward for maximum signal locating.

-Bridge your routers. If you're not sure how to do this, consult the instruction booklet.

-Run a network line from the upstairs router to the basement. You can either hook up another 4 port router and connect both the laptop and 360 or plug the network cable directly into the 360.

Hope these help. Weird connection problems. What to do? :)

Jinxed Violynne, Jan 3, 2014
  7. Hola!

More likely I may take all of my equipment to the main floor as a last resort. With a one-floor difference between the XBOX and the modem/router set-up my connection was working fine. Now that the set-up is a two-floor difference I couldn't have made any
    connection, which was why I tried using the powerline adapters. Well, I got the connectivity but one die is better than none.

I don't think a paid connection would change anything. I only have one router in the house so bridging anything wouldn't work and I'm not sure if that wold make the signals weaker (unless I'm wrong on both counts). I could try and get me a wireless modem/router-in-one
    or just get an N300 connection and set it up in my room before moving everything up.

Thank you all for your help!

Vincent Romero, Jan 3, 2014
  8. Nautica09
    Nautica09 Guest

if your laptop has no trouble connecting, just run an ethernet cable from the laptop to your xbox and share the laptop's internet connection. I use this setup with my desktop which has a strong wireless adapter and I don't experience any lag on the xbox.
    Using this method will require your laptop to be on and awake when playing online though but that's not a big deal.

Nautica09, Oct 31, 2018
  9. Nautica09 Win User

if your laptop has no trouble connecting, just run an ethernet cable from the laptop to your xbox and share the laptop's internet connection. I use this setup with my desktop which has a strong wireless adapter and I don't experience any lag on the xbox.
    Using this method will require your laptop to be on and awake when playing online though but that's not a big deal.
  10. LOWxONxHealth Win User

Move your 360 up one floor.I have mine setup in the room directly below our router and get 3 bars,sometimes 4.
  11. Vincent Romero Win User

Hola!

More likely I may take all of my equipment to the main floor as a last resort. With a one-floor difference between the XBOX and the modem/router set-up my connection was working fine. Now that the set-up is a two-floor difference I couldn't have made any
    connection, which was why I tried using the powerline adapters. Well, I got the connectivity but one die is better than none.

I don't think a paid connection would change anything. I only have one router in the house so bridging anything wouldn't work and I'm not sure if that wold make the signals weaker (unless I'm wrong on both counts). I could try and get me a wireless modem/router-in-one
    or just get an N300 connection and set it up in my room before moving everything up.

Thank you all for your help!
  12. x24hrs2livex Win User

I am no networking guru, but how about getting your own internet? I think Clear costs like $10 a month after paying for the equipment which is $50 I do believe.
  13. Jinxed Violynne Win User

Some options:

-Make sure the 360 is not sitting under any metal pipes in the basement. Metal distorts WiFi signals.

-Make sure the 360 is not setting vertically. The WiFi receiver is near center and should be facing upward for maximum signal locating.

-Bridge your routers. If you're not sure how to do this, consult the instruction booklet.

-Run a network line from the upstairs router to the basement. You can either hook up another 4 port router and connect both the laptop and 360 or plug the network cable directly into the 360.

Hope these help. :)
Thema:

1. Weird connection problems. What to do? - Similar Threads - Weird connection problems

2. Weird Situation (2 Xboxes in 1 room)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Weird Situation (2 Xboxes in 1 room): So my house-mate turned his Xbox on through his TV (Remote) and while my Xbox is not connected to that TV, it turned on the very same moment. Anyone have any idea how to prevent this. My Xbox...
  3. When I drop my Xbox series s on my bed lightly the inside of the Xbox makes a weird noise...

in XBoX on Consoles
    When I drop my Xbox series s on my bed lightly the inside of the Xbox makes a weird noise...: When I drop my Xbox series s on my bed lightly the inside of the Xbox makes a weird noise with this aswell when I go on my Xbox it gets hot quickly and the Xbox makes some sort of ticking noise....
  4. Weird!?

in XBoX on Windows
    Weird!?: Sorry for bad english I just got a xbox360, i have looked at the xbox classic games playable on the 360. ( nfs underground 2) i did the disc in it and cant play it….. someone that can help or...
  5. My xbox one s started making a really weird noise, crashed and won't connect to my hdmi anymore

in XBoX on Consoles
    My xbox one s started making a really weird noise, crashed and won't connect to my hdmi anymore: I was playing black ops 2 then my xbox stated making a noise that sounded like a printer printing out a piece of paper then my game crashed I got annoyed at the noise so I turned it off and back...
  6. Can't connect to Cloud games online service (+ my weird fix)

in XboX Insiders
    Can't connect to Cloud games online service (+ my weird fix): So I'm having a weird issue with either the PC Xbox App, the Microsoft Store or xCloud in general and MLB The Show 21. I'm basically able to launch the game, however once in the game, it fails to...
  7. Weird problem to connect my Xbox One to internet

in XBoX on Consoles
    Weird problem to connect my Xbox One to internet: Hi! I recently moved my Xbox to my new apartment and I have a new internet box. I connected my Xbox one to it through Ethernet. Since then I had extremely weird problems to connect. First, my...
  8. can't connect to live/weird account issues

in XBoX on Consoles
    can't connect to live/weird account issues: So when I first turn on my xbox one I will be signed into my profile just fine. It will show two of my friend as online, but I'm clearly not connected to live because the tile on the right says...
  9. Having weird issues with trying to connect to Xbox live please help!

in XBoX on Consoles
    Having weird issues with trying to connect to Xbox live please help!: Hey guys, I usually can handle Internet issues for the most part on my own but this one has me stumped.. I am running a direct connection through cat6 Ethernet cable from my modem to my Xbox...
  10. Can't connect to DHCP, have tried everything. DNS is weird

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't connect to DHCP, have tried everything. DNS is weird: Haven't been able to connect to XBL for about a week now. I have an Actiontec GT784WN Modem and an Apple Time Machine Router. The Xbox One Advanced Settings Statisitics are as shown below. Any...