We were unable to make ******@gmail.com your primary alias. Please try again later.

Discus and support We were unable to make ******@gmail.com your primary alias. Please try again later. in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; I'm attempting to update my primary alias to a new email account. The previous alias is a ****@mail.com account and trying to switch to ****@gmail.com... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by bullr, Dec 29, 2022.

1. bullr
    bullr Guest

We were unable to make ******@gmail.com your primary alias. Please try again later.

I'm attempting to update my primary alias to a new email account. The previous alias is a ****@mail.com account and trying to switch to ****@gmail.com account. I've been trying to do this for years with no luck. I've tried on an iPhone, Windows desktop, in Chrome and using Incognito. Nothing seems to work. I do not have an ****@outlook.com email account and prefer not to have to set up a new account to manage just for this.

Please help.

:)

bullr, Dec 29, 2022
  2. bullr Win User

The email address has been added and verified as an Account Alias. I've tried it with 3 different email addresses included a new address I created with Gmail. Below is a screenshot of the responses each time I try to set a new alias.

[​IMG]

Once I click on Make primary hyperlink, a pop up box asks "Do you want to make this your primary alias?" I then click Yes and then receive the red text stating "We are unable to make ****@gmail.com your primary alias. Please try again later.
  3. Glenn Rue Win User

Hi bullr!

Thanks for reaching out to our Microsoft Community Forum. Please accept our warmest regards and sincerest hope that all is well.

We understand that you are unable to change the primary alias of your Microsoft account to a Gmail email address.

So, our Add or remove an email alias in Outlook.com guide actually explains in detail how to do what you are attempting:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...look-com-459b1989-356d-40fa-a689-8f285b13f1f2

And so far, the only thing that might be possibly blocking you from performing the change of the primary is the following line from the guide:

[​IMG]

With that in mind is your Gmail account something issued to you by your school or workplace?

Feel free to reply to this thread if you need further clarification.

Sincerely,

Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
  4. bullr Win User

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately, the email address is not a school or work email. I've actually tried to update the primary alias to a charter.net email address as well with no luck.
  5. Glenn Rue Win User

The email address has been added and verified as an Account Alias. I've tried it with 3 different email addresses included a new address I created with Gmail. Below is a screenshot of the responses each time I try to set a new alias.

[​IMG]

Once I click on Make primary hyperlink, a pop up box asks "Do you want to make this your primary alias?" I then click Yes and then receive the red text stating "We are unable to make ****@gmail.com your primary alias. Please try again later.
    Thanks, bullr. That's really odd behavior.

I'll bring this up to our internal support team for further investigation. I should have an update for soon.

Although I might ask some additional information within that time too.

Respectfully,

6. Glenn Rue Win User

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately, the email address is not a school or work email. I've actually tried to update the primary alias to a charter.net email address as well with no luck.
    Thanks for replying back, bullr!

That would suggest that the alias was used as a Microsoft account in the past or added as an alias to another Microsoft account. When you added the charter.net email address as an alias what's the exact error message that you get?

Assuming you used the steps from the guide I provided above when does the error appear? When you add the charter.net email address as an alias? Or after adding charter.net email address as an alias and then making it the primary alias.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Warm regards,

Glenn
Thema:

1. We were unable to make ******@gmail.com your primary alias. Please try again later. - Similar Threads - were unable ******@gmail

2. Microsoft won't return my money after my account was hacked and 11 $25 gcs were purchased!!!!!

in XBoX on Windows
    Microsoft won't return my money after my account was hacked and 11 $25 gcs were purchased!!!!!: SERIOUSLY???!! Someone hacked my account, ordered 11 $25 gift cards paid via my paypal and THEY WON'T REFUND ME FOR THESE???!!! So, I've now been robbed TWICE - one by the hacker and now by...
  3. Is there a capture (screenshot) limit, and can I restore captures that were automatically...

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Is there a capture (screenshot) limit, and can I restore captures that were automatically...: I am playing on Xbox One and have been taking many captures (screenshots) to document some things about the game, as well as for my own collection. However, it seems I've reached a very low limit...
  4. I requested 3 refunds on 1/8/24 and all were approved and I’ve still not received my refund

in XBoX on Windows
    I requested 3 refunds on 1/8/24 and all were approved and I’ve still not received my refund: I replied to a email about it and told them what happened but still not received a answer 93ddd2ee-ade7-479d-8643-c9a199676e1b
  5. My microsoft account was hacked yesterday and 5 game codes were purchased - does anybody...

in XBoX on Windows
    My microsoft account was hacked yesterday and 5 game codes were purchased - does anybody...: My Microsoft account was hacked yesterday and 5 game codes were purchased and gifted to a random email address - the total purchase amount was around £175. I have been desperately trying to...
  6. Why is not xbox rewards not work and unavailable in switzerland? Were broke

in XBoX on Windows
    Why is not xbox rewards not work and unavailable in switzerland? Were broke: I would like to have xbox rewards back on in Switzerland 5d983703-72aa-41db-b297-5ac1739552eb
  7. We were how can i talk to someone when it requires a sign in and we cant since the hacker...

in XBoX Accessibility
    We were how can i talk to someone when it requires a sign in and we cant since the hacker...: We were hacked how can i talk with someone as sign in is required and the hacker changed our log in info a81bca5a-485b-4561-be60-c0036345a5ad
  8. Xbox chat call back not working (response is: Were unable to process your request. Please...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox chat call back not working (response is: Were unable to process your request. Please...: I have a faulty xbox, purchased as a Christmas present, the orser was with Microsoft direct. The order email confirmation does not provide a service link to report a problem and the online chat...
  9. "Sorry we were unable to complete your purchase" Only like 3 years still a recurring problem

in XBoX Games and Apps
    "Sorry we were unable to complete your purchase" Only like 3 years still a recurring problem: Im a developer, 15 years in. If I cant figure out **** is wrong thats not on me. I tried to buy a minecraft expansion. I get that insanely unhelpful message. I log out log in, etc. Oh then I...
  10. Minecraft education says “we were unable to connect you” when joining others’ world D:

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Minecraft education says “we were unable to connect you” when joining others’ world D:: Hi! I’ve been trying to join other people’s worlds in Minecraft Education for a while but it always gives me this message.: “We were unable to connect you” With the ok button. I tried to take a...