Using External Hard Drive for Capture Location

Discus and support Using External Hard Drive for Capture Location in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have been trying to hook up an external hard drive to use as a capture location for clips. I plugged my hard drive into a computer and formatted it... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Ethan04, Nov 18, 2021.

1. Ethan04
    Ethan04 Guest

I have been trying to hook up an external hard drive to use as a capture location for clips. I plugged my hard drive into a computer and formatted it to NTFS like it say to do, but when I plug it back into the console and it pops up, I try to set it as my capture location and it tells me it needs to be formatted as an NTFS. I tried doing a quick format and the long format that took a few hours but my Xbox still isn’t recognizing it as a NTFS.

:)

Ethan04, Nov 18, 2021
  2. SammyVS Win User

Good to know, mate. I will save this to help other people. Thanks for the info.
  3. Ethan04 Win User

I found the solution. Credit goes to PCaddict365. This is his post below

Hi,

I had the same issue where my xbox one x asked if i wanted my 5tb drive to be used as media storage or storage for games and apps. I chose media but then it kept saying to format the drive on pc as NTFS, which i did but it still didnt work on the xbox for game captures. Good news is i found out how to solve the problem.

What happens is the drive has 2 partitions on it so you need to go on your pc and go to disk management then select your hard drive and remove the "efi partition" from your external hard drive, be sure you select the right drive! After that you will need to right click in disk management on your external drive and change it to gpt from mbr if its bigger than 2tb. Just google if you need to know how. Then click on the drive in disk management again and create a new simple volume to get the drive working again. Format it on the pc and then plug it back into the xbox one x and when asked what to use it for choose Media. You should now be able to select the drive as a capture location! Hopefully this helps and i will try to post a tutorial on youtube to show what to do. It will be under my channel "PCaddict365". Best of luck and have fun gaming!
  4. Ethan04 Win User

To remove the EFI Partition this is the website I used to walk through it that I found helpful.

https://appuals.com/fix-cannot-delete-a-protected-partition-without-the-force-protected-parameter-set/
  5. Ethan04 Win User

I tried what you suggested and when prompted I was only able to select use for media or format to Xbox. I know I don’t want to format it to Xbox because then it won’t work for captures. So would I choose the media option or am I missing an option.
  6. SammyVS Win User

I'm Samy an independent advisor. Welcome to the Xbox community. How are you?

Follow this path, select ''full shutdown'', remove the power cord and external hard drive from the console for 1 minute. Turn on the console, connect the external hard drive and select the type for captures when prompted.

Press the Xbox button  to open the guide.

Select Profile & system > Settings > General > Power mode & startup.
Thema:

1. Using External Hard Drive for Capture Location - Similar Threads - Using External Hard

2. Why does sound only come from one external speaker when using the optical output?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does sound only come from one external speaker when using the optical output?: I have a pair of speakers plugged into my Xbox One S using the optical port and sound only comes out one side. I’ve already verified that both speakers do work. I’ve tried changing a few settings...
  3. Can I use XAC with external joystick and separate steering wheel at the same time?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Can I use XAC with external joystick and separate steering wheel at the same time?: Is it possible to use a Logitech g920steering wheel and a separate joystick (Logitech 3d extreme pro ) that is Xbox compatible with the Xbox adaptive controller together. Eg allowing me to use the...
  4. Whenever I try to use my external hardrive it says that I have to pick a folder

in XBoX on Consoles
    Whenever I try to use my external hardrive it says that I have to pick a folder: Regardless of whatever folder I pick it says "You can't set your default folder location to that one. Try another one" or "You can't change your default install location to that folder while it is...
  5. Im using a different Xbox and signed into the correct account and my external storage won’t...

in XBoX on Windows
    Im using a different Xbox and signed into the correct account and my external storage won’t...: Okay so I had an Xbox and it stopped working recently so I tried bringing the external storage to a different Xbox and when I plug it in it recognizes the storage but it says owner needs to sign...
  6. Can´t use my external disc because of it is not NTFS

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can´t use my external disc because of it is not NTFS: I am unable to use my external disc because of this issue, reformatting it would casue all 500gb of files to be removed so that is not an optiion, I have found a work around using the microsoft...
  7. Why does my Xbox delete games off it, I am not short on storage nor am I using a external...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does my Xbox delete games off it, I am not short on storage nor am I using a external...: I am sick of going to play my games and some of them have been deleted, I don't have unlimited internet like most people do so every time one of my games get deleted I have to wait to be able to...
  8. Can I retrieve documents from my external drive that was on it after the drive was used on...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can I retrieve documents from my external drive that was on it after the drive was used on...: Can I retrieve documents from my external drive that was on it after the drive was used on a xbox series s. 33a0a48a-409f-4192-94da-ba3631a8f4d5
  9. Are you not able to use external ssd with series games

in XBoX on Consoles
    Are you not able to use external ssd with series games: I just bought a Seagate external SSD 1tb and my Xbox still says I need a faster storage space but says on Seagates website that it should work for those games specifically....
  10. Best external hard drive to use and do they cause any issue to xbox one

in XBoX on Windows
    Best external hard drive to use and do they cause any issue to xbox one: I'm on xbox one S and not sure why I keep getting xbox one green logo screen when I start yhe xbox one. ccbdf64e-1a5d-4bb3-8553-d9f3afa854a3